eBay budget axe, £5.99

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: eBay budget axe, £5.99

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Woodcutter: That depends on if its a Splitting axe, a Cutting axe, a Camp axe or a Carving axe.

Carvers need to be as sharp as possible
Cutters should be slightly less sharp with a thicker edge then Carvers
Splitters need a strong convex and a steep angle for maximum 'wedging effect',they also need to be sharp enough to bite and not skip
Camp axes are halfway between Cutters and Splitters as they're going to be used for everything

Diza: I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm going to put a small point into it for this purpose should help with the splitting". Could you explain more?

Citizen: I tend to hang my axes with a wooden Parallel wedge and only add a metal Transverse if they loosen up later. You shouldn't need to glue wedges in (although some people do as a 'Belt&Braces' thing)..... Glad to hear you've gone with Linseed, you don't want to seal moisture in like paint would.

Most importantly, the 'Best Axe' is the one thats best for you and what you're going to do with it.

Now Diza, go and wear the shine off it and tell us all about it ;)

Edited to add
I use my splitting maul to cut tree roots for the same reason Grenfell uses a mattock
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just to add some of the jobs that my axe gets put to , used to shape timbers for example yesterday I used it to form a section of skirting , used for scribing stuff like skirting boards to un even floorboards and I've used it to ease doors and also on several occasions I've used it in a situation where some would use a Stanley knife.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

grenfell wrote:Just to add some of the jobs that my axe gets put to , used to shape timbers for example yesterday I used it to form a section of skirting , used for scribing stuff like skirting boards to un even floorboards and I've used it to ease doors and also on several occasions I've used it in a situation where some would use a Stanley knife.
A what?......Oh, an Infuriating F*****g Thing (well, thats what I call it before throwing it across the room :oops: )

I only tend to have three tools break on me often, Dremel cutting disks (the pinky ones), sub-1/8th drill bits and Stanley blades. As a result I avoid using them as often as possible.

I've cut boards to fit gaps that required different tapers on both edges and a reduction in thickness to go flush, the other guy on the job sawed one in the time it took me to fit the other three *Insert "Smug" emoticon* ;)

So, on a related note. I ask my fellow Axe-heads, what would be your advice to a novice Chopperist?

Mine is "Know where the sharp bit is going to end up and keep You out of that space"
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Advice ? Put your jacket one side and your mobile phone the other side of the work , encourages accuracy :lol:
As to Stanley knives I've pretty much given up with the retractable type as I find they nearly always slip but do carry ( in my tool kit) and use the fixed type with the curved metal body . I find they are decent enough for what they are , a disposalble blade to use when it's clear that the work will wreck the blade , jobs such as cutting roofing felt or cutting on top of concrete. I don't seem to have too much trouble with really small drill bits but have a mate who just has to look at one to snap it.
I know what you mean about doing things just as quick or quicker and have encountered the same myself. I've also come across people who look at me as if I'm some sort of caveman because I carry an axe or for that matter even own an axe. There's something not quite right about a carpenter not having an axe...
kernow24

Post by kernow24 »

Looks like a generic axe sold under all kinds of budget brands.

They are surprisingly decent fur a cheap axe.

Wet and dry the paint off, sand and oil the handle and take a dremel / file and then a stone to the head and it'll be a great little camp axe.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
grenfell wrote:Just to add some of the jobs that my axe gets put to , used to shape timbers for example yesterday I used it to form a section of skirting , used for scribing stuff like skirting boards to un even floorboards and I've used it to ease doors and also on several occasions I've used it in a situation where some would use a Stanley knife.
A what?......Oh, an Infuriating F*****g Thing (well, thats what I call it before throwing it across the room :oops: )

I only tend to have three tools break on me often, Dremel cutting disks (the pinky ones), sub-1/8th drill bits and Stanley blades. As a result I avoid using them as often as possible.

I've cut boards to fit gaps that required different tapers on both edges and a reduction in thickness to go flush, the other guy on the job sawed one in the time it took me to fit the other three *Insert "Smug" emoticon* ;)

So, on a related note. I ask my fellow Axe-heads, what would be your advice to a novice Chopperist?

Mine is "Know where the sharp bit is going to end up and keep You out of that space"
http://www.irwin.com/tools/utility-kniv ... ity-blades

These are much harder to snap ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

kernow24 wrote:Looks like a generic axe sold under all kinds of budget brands.

They are surprisingly decent fur a cheap axe.

Wet and dry the paint off, sand and oil the handle and take a dremel / file and then a stone to the head and it'll be a great little camp axe.

Out of interest why do you suggest taking the paint off? The other stuff is fine but I can't see the point of paint removal other than for cosmetic reasons. On a side note I like Henry Taylor tools not just because they are decent but also because they seem to have a sort of " cheap Chinese crap" look about them , makes them less desirable to the light fingered I always think.
https://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/henr ... mer-chisel
Diza_925

Post by Diza_925 »

Update, I spent around 30 minutes getting a snap edge that would be suitable for my uses, I agree that an hand axe should be as sharp as a chisel, hand axes arnt made for cutting roots, logging axes are, I am pretty much only using it for beaking logs in to kindling /fire wood size so not a major task.

First test was this weekend and the axe held surprisingly well, handle did not come loose and blade remained sharp, for £5.99 it was definitely a bargain. Also fits nicely on the side of my bag, I just need a sheath now!
born prepper

Post by born prepper »

Have you a link to the eBay listing? Wouldn't mind getting one myself at that price.
Survival and Preparedness Tips: http://bornprepper.com

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!
My blog contains Amazon Affiliate Links.
Diza_925

Post by Diza_925 »

born prepper wrote:Have you a link to the eBay listing? Wouldn't mind getting one myself at that price.

Sure, item number 382247238557 should come up if you search it