Blastmatch

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Medusa

Blastmatch

Post by Medusa »

Has anyone got any experience of these. Found it on You Tube and thought that it might be a good addition to the equipment list. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTIMATE-SURVIV ... blastmatch
Growing old disgracefully!
Brambles

Re: Blastmatch

Post by Brambles »

I've got one. It's great for inepts like me. :D Even I can get a fire going with one of these.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

While the ferocium rods are great and you get a real satisfaction out of starting a fire with them, a lighter is also an 'approved' way to start a fire. Or matches. :lol:
It looks good and chunky though and even if I'm up the hills I take a rod, always use a lighter but options are the way ahead.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:While the ferocium rods are great and you get a real satisfaction out of starting a fire with them, a lighter is also an 'approved' way to start a fire. Or matches. :lol:
It looks good and chunky though and even if I'm up the hills I take a rod, always use a lighter but options are the way ahead.
:D My firelighter of choice is a lighter. But I went through a phase of wanting to learn other methods.. I can honestly say I would die if I had to rely on my firelighting abilities without either said lighter, matches or one of these. :roll: :shock:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I always have a ferro rod or two, they do have some advantages over a lighter but they take a bit of practice, and that looks a lot easier so go for it.

I can use a ferro rod, a bow drill, most of the time a hand drill, flint and steel, but most of the time if I’m starting a fire I use a lighter, it’s good to have options, you might need them, but once you’ve got your options sorted there’s no shame in doing it the easy way. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I have the smaller version of the one in the OP. Great for one handed striking or with an injury.

Mine is part of my emergency kit.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

pseudonym wrote:I have the smaller version of the one in the OP. Great for one handed striking or with an injury.

That’s a thought, ferro rod isn’t much use one handed.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm hardly a twisted fire starting guru, I've never used a bow or even a flint and steel but I'm ok with a ferro rod and there is a sense of satisfaction out of starting a fire with a rod, especially with 'preppery' stuff like birch bark. It gives you the confidence (or belief maybe) that if you were stuck that you COULD do it. I'd never slate anyone for being able to use a bow to start a fire (I'm envious to be honest) and the sense of satisfaction must be even better. There does seem to be a bit of snobbery on youtube about fire lighting on the 'woodcrafty' vids though, all I'll say is I like to carry a few joke 'unblowoutable' candles with me as well as the lighters and windproof matches and ferro rod. :D
If its something that you think is on your personal prepping horizon then its something to practice, I reckon if you have one lighter and one ferro rod and the zombies came, by the time you'd used up the lighter you'd be a dab hand with the ferro rod, necessity does that. ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
pseudonym wrote:I have the smaller version of the one in the OP. Great for one handed striking or with an injury.

That’s a thought, ferro rod isn’t much use one handed.
Unless you go all Christy Brown and practice with your shoes and socks off.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Medusa wrote:Has anyone got any experience of these. Found it on You Tube and thought that it might be a good addition to the equipment list. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTIMATE-SURVIV ... blastmatch
Being basically one handed it’s my lighter of choice!