Blastmatch

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: Blastmatch

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Deeps wrote:There does seem to be a bit of snobbery on youtube about fire lighting on the 'woodcrafty' vids though
There is, but the thing you have to remember is that YouTube isn’t real, I can get a hand drill to work just over half the time, but I guarantee that if I do it in a video it’ll work first time. ;)

There is some snobbery from the people that make the videos, but there’s also a lot in the comments from “armchair bushcrafters” and they are all the most skilled people in the world, or so they would have you believe from their comments, so to save on comment flaming it’s easier to just edit your video so it works first time.

The way I see it, if I’m going to show how to do something in a video, it’s quicker to show it if it works first time and it gets the point across in a shorter video, but if I’m not showing how to do something then it probably won’t be in the video, I make my videos for fun, not to big myself up or to try and make out I’m an expert, so I don’t feel the need to show off.
Things like bow drill and hand drill, yeah, I can do it, but I got shown how to do it in person, I don’t know if I could actually get across how to do it in a video.

A few of the channels I like are a bit more realistic with it, some use a ferro rod all the time, but that’s because they’re in such a cold climate that lighters aren’t the easiest option, and some use lighters.
I’ve even seen Ray Mears use a lighter, and I doubt there’s any fire lighting method he can’t do.

The only channel that I would say really can’t get away with using a lighter is Primitive Technology, watch his videos if you haven’t, they’re amazing, best channel on YouTube as far as I’m concerned, but I bet once he’s finished filming and knackered he’ll use a lighter if he needs a fire.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I get where you're coming from Jamesey, a few of the guys I watch have to keep stressing about stuff because of the 'armchair critics', stuff like overemphasising picking up their rubbish for starters. It must be a pain in the arse wading through a lot of the comments if they're basically just "you don't wanna do it like that, you wanna do it like this". I'm just grateful that folk do the vids.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It’s not that bad with a channel the size of mine, and I haven’t got around to doing many bushcrafty videos, mine are mostly gear reviews and cooking so far, but I’ve seen some right nonsense on other channels!

Not that I haven’t had my share of wallies, but I enjoy making use of YouTube’s shadowban feature, I can hide comments from the channel and the wally can rant and rave to their heart’s content while being blissfully unaware that only they can see their comments. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

:lol:

I'm clueless about all that, while I'm sure the world would be a better place for my coupon being on Youtube, I'm shy. :oops:
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

My thoughs are a lighter or matches for keep it simple, and a ferro rod as backup. While this gadget looks cool it's got moving parts and they can go wrong, it's also a HECK of a lot dearer than a ferro rod.
I can see the one handed side of it, but 6 lighters for a £1, they work one handed too.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think the Blastmatch was designed as a fire starter for USAF aircrew survival kits, as such it can't include pressurised gas or volatile liquids.It also needed to be operated with little or no prior practice, and possibly only one hand.
Its a great piece of gear that DEWISOTT*, I once bought a cheap knock-off and while it worked, it worked very well..... You get what you pay for, so buy the real-deal and save the headache

If you want something you can drop into a kit and ignore until you need it, its ideal (after all, thats what it was designed to do).

For firelighting, I can use F&S or Ferro-rod but Bow or Hand drill still eludes me even with practice. However, nearly all my fires are lit with either a Clipper lighter or a Swan Vesta

*Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar