£13 ebay hammocks, any good???

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Re: £13 ebay hammocks, any good???

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:Got to ask, how much more comfy is it kipping in a hammock ? Yet again I've had a crap kip when heading out, I've got a better (well more expensive) air mattress and I suspect its me getting older rather than anything else. It wouldn't always be feasible as I'm more often at places without loads of trees to hang one from but I'm looking for options.

Very, I rarely ground dwell anymore. Once you are dialled in with your system, a cracking night's kip.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:
Deeps wrote:Got to ask, how much more comfy is it kipping in a hammock ? Yet again I've had a crap kip when heading out, I've got a better (well more expensive) air mattress and I suspect its me getting older rather than anything else. It wouldn't always be feasible as I'm more often at places without loads of trees to hang one from but I'm looking for options.

Very, I rarely ground dwell anymore. Once you are dialled in with your system, a cracking night's kip.
Thanks for getting back mate, I have been getting more curious (ooh err) although I'm more likely to be up the hills so either a bothy or a tent but I do get the odd night away (and planning more) where a hammock could be an option. I just seem to get a crap kip when I'm on the deck and its all the time rather than just a bad choice of a pitch.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:
pseudonym wrote:

Thanks for getting back mate, I have been getting more curious (ooh err) although I'm more likely to be up the hills so either a bothy or a tent but I do get the odd night away (and planning more) where a hammock could be an option. I just seem to get a crap kip when I'm on the deck and its all the time rather than just a bad choice of a pitch.
Deeps,

I have not idea how tall you are, but I'd suggest getting a hammock that is large enough for you to lay in diagonal, not end to end like a banana. Lying across the hammock, diagonally, is considerably more comfortable than end to end, with your shoulders compressed and feet jammed together.

I know they are very expensive, but I rate my Hennessey Safari Deluxe which is designed for diagonal sleeping and I get a great night's sleep.

This time of year, as we've said earlier in the thread, you've got to think about an underquilt or sleepmat in the hammock.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Deeps,

I have not idea how tall you are, but I'd suggest getting a hammock that is large enough for you to lay in diagonal, not end to end like a banana. Lying across the hammock, diagonally, is considerably more comfortable than end to end, with your shoulders compressed and feet jammed together.

I know they are very expensive, but I rate my Hennessey Safari Deluxe which is designed for diagonal sleeping and I get a great night's sleep.

This time of year, as we've said earlier in the thread, you've got to think about an underquilt or sleepmat in the hammock.
I'm 6' and prefer to lie on my side, often with my legs pulled up and bent which is another reason I've not been bothered about hammocks but I'm starting to think about alternatives to broken uncomfortable sleeps. Its not just outdoors, I don't always get a good kip in my scrather either.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Deeps,

I'm 6' and prefer to lie on my side, often with my legs pulled up and bent which is another reason I've not been bothered about hammocks but I'm starting to think about alternatives to broken uncomfortable sleeps. Its not just outdoors, I don't always get a good kip in my scrather either.
That's because you snore if you sleep on your back, admit it, you a side sleeper so you don't wake yourself up. Diagonal sleeping suits side sleeping, loads of youtube videos about the subject. While you're there, have a looksee at the Amok Draumr 3. It's what credit cards are for.....
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
That's because you snore if you sleep on your back, admit it, you a side sleeper so you don't wake yourself up. Diagonal sleeping suits side sleeping, loads of youtube videos about the subject. While you're there, have a looksee at the Amok Draumr 3. It's what credit cards are for.....
:lol: That's not exactly a secret and I'm worse with a cold or a bucketful of bevvy in me. I don't really wake myself up though, I've been a 'side sleeper' pretty much my whole adult life, I'm happy enough lying out 'flat backed' on the sofa (where I get my best kips to be honest) so I think its a comfort thing as much as anything although I move onto my side at some point. I often have a dog at the end of the sofa (I'm now trained to pull my legs up in my sleep to accommodate the bloody dugs :roll: ). I doubt I could justify spending a hefty wedge on something I would use a handful of times a year, as I say, when I'm away I tend to be hill walking rather than camping although I'm happy to camp too. :D Thanks for the info though mate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Get yourself along to this:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index ... st-1843649

Try out a variety of hammocks,tarps,top and underquilts.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Get yourself along to this:

A whole week away playing in the woods..... I like the sound of that but not sure how practical it would be, I'll have a further look though, cheers.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Get yourself along to this:

A whole week away playing in the woods..... I like the sound of that but not sure how practical it would be, I'll have a further look though, cheers.
Day visits/overnights are available. I know the bloke who organises them.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Ohh that looks interesting. :)