£13 ebay hammocks, any good???

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

£13 ebay hammocks, any good???

Post by sniper 55 »

I was mooching my way around ebay yesterday trying to spend my Christmas money (that I haven't got yet :D ) and I spotted a hammock for £13 wth mozzie net. Has anybody got one of these, are they any good? I'm thinking for the odd night wild camping, so it probably wont get a lot of use.
Any thoughts??
Thanks
ForgeCorvus

Re: £13 ebay hammocks, any good???

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A link would help mate
Are they new, old stock, surplus?
Made here, europe, asia?
Factory or garage?

They might be a great piece of inexpensive kit (as in the next 'Mora') or they could be total dreck

I want to try tree-hugging but I'm not planning on dropping a wad to do it, these might be the answer
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ForgeCorvus wrote: I want to try tree-hugging but I'm not planning on dropping a wad to do it, these might be the answer
That's how I started. DD Hammocks stuff to try out for a couple of years then I upgraded.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

unsure

Post by unsure »

saved , i`ll take a look at them again in the new year :D
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

A mate of mine has one, Bearded Bushcrafter on YouTube, it’s a bit flimsy and the caribiners are pants but for thirteen quid it does the job, he did a review video so have a look if you want a closer look at it.

If you have a few more funds available then I would recommend a free soldier one from gearbest, three times the price and pretty heavy but much more solid and it will last you much better, but if you’re not too heavy and are not going to use it a huge amount then the cheapie will do the job ok, the free soldier one is between thirty and forty quid so still pretty reasonable.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yes those are the ones, theres load of different sellers selling the same thing all around that price.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:A mate of mine has one, Bearded Bushcrafter on YouTube, it’s a bit flimsy and the caribiners are pants but for thirteen quid it does the job, he did a review video so have a look if you want a closer look at it.

If you have a few more funds available then I would recommend a free soldier one from gearbest, three times the price and pretty heavy but much more solid and it will last you much better, but if you’re not too heavy and are not going to use it a huge amount then the cheapie will do the job ok, the free soldier one is between thirty and forty quid so still pretty reasonable.
Ahhhh, I'm not really a lightweight bloke, always fairly solid, think rugby prop forward.... with a few extra pounds.... maybe I'd better save a few more quid for the better model.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:A mate of mine has one, Bearded Bushcrafter on YouTube, it’s a bit flimsy and the caribiners are pants but for thirteen quid it does the job, he did a review video so have a look if you want a closer look at it.

Ahhhh, I'm not really a lightweight bloke, always fairly solid, think rugby prop forward.... with a few extra pounds.... maybe I'd better save a few more quid for the better model.
Been following this thread as I've always been a ground dweller but was intrigued, I've got the same 'issues' with lightweight gear for the same reasons. :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Trev is a fairly big lad, he’s a bit shorter than me but a little heavier and it has held him up so far, the caribiners have straightened a bit though, it doesn’t come with rated ones, my advice is to swap them for climbing ones or D shackles from a hardware shop as they are the first thing that will have you on the floor.

It is thin material though, and it will rip eventually, the free soldier ones are very cheap compared to the branded ones and feel a lot stronger, you do pay for that in extra weight though, I have a tent that’s lighter!

If you just want to try it out, the cheap one will do, if you know you’re going to use it a lot then get a branded one as it will be light and strong, if you’re in the middle like me then go for the free soldier, they’re heavy but good and strong and well priced.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.