Axe & handles Part II

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Citizen H

Axe & handles Part II

Post by Citizen H »

It never ceases to amaze me how unreliable people can be..........

I personally dislike lazy and unreliable people, in addition to this if you make a promise / agreement then stick by it!

case in question is the on going Axe project, long story short I've been let down because...... persons in question cant be arsed ... their excuse not mine!

So! I've put the axe head on my self, its my 1st attempt at anything like this and wanted it to be right, it isn't precise but I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out and what Ive learnt whilst doing it.

Many thanks for them that offered help and guidance Ive attached photos of how things turned out, and something that you may want to consider is a £1 shop special wrist support that I'm using instead of para cord to protect the handle. time will tell it this works out,

cheers "H"
Attachments
Eagle 3.jpg
Eagle 2.jpg
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
ForgeCorvus

Re: Axe & handles Part II

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Looks good, well done mate

Can you show me some shots down the shaft and square on to the side please.

What are you planning on treating the wood with?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Looks good, well done mate

Can you show me some shots down the shaft and square on to the side please.

What are you planning on treating the wood with?

errrmmm its my 1st attempt and I'm sure theres a few things not right, the internet is a mine field when it comes to info, one argument is the grain of the shaft is going the wrong way? but this is based on axe's that are to be used for hacking down trees, as this is a light weight hatchet its light duties only hence dating the handle, I hand cut the wooden wedge and made sure it fitted inside the axe head that tapers downwards, Im not sure if the axe head is out but it was true prior to fixing, after fixing it looks slightly off? but this may be my wonky eyes??,

unless told other wise boiled linseed oil, once a week for 1 month, then once month for 6 months, I'll try to get some photos done soon is but I want to finish the head and oil it.

thanks for the interest "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

As you say there's a lot of "information" on the net as to what you should or shouldn't do most of which I take with a pinch of salt. For example my favourite axe is an old sanvik with a handle made of boxwood . The end flares out towards the end where I have left the bark on it, probably would attract criticism from some but comfortable to me. I haven't oiled that one in anyway although it has now built up a patina of sweat and dirt. I do have a couple of others that I have oiled and again I don't feel there's a right or wrong way. I've used vegetable oil and linseed oil although I tend to go for the raw as opposed to the boiled as it tends to be less glossy. I also tend to thin it with turpentine at least for the first few coats as I feel it soaks in better but again it's personal choice.