What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Post by Deeps »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've been living in a caravan and sleeping in a tent for a few months and life is made almost bearable by the Jetboil. I don't think there's much out there that can get 500ml boiled in such a quick time. Handy for a rapid cuppa and also good for boil in the bag food.
My mate swears by them and they do have a goo reputation. Not cheap though.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've been living in a caravan and sleeping in a tent for a few months and life is made almost bearable by the Jetboil. I don't think there's much out there that can get 500ml boiled in such a quick time. Handy for a rapid cuppa and also good for boil in the bag food.
We've been off-grid for several months and the Jet Boil has been a godsend, not just for cooking and boiling but it can also take the edge off an outdoor submariner's wash in near zero temperatures. It's not cheap but I would say it's well worth it. Get it on your list for Santa.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Deeps wrote:
We've been off-grid for several months and the Jet Boil has been a godsend, not just for cooking and boiling but it can also take the edge off an outdoor submariner's wash in near zero temperatures. It's not cheap but I would say it's well worth it. Get it on your list for Santa.
Touch wood, I'm fairly well covered for cookers, took a smally gas one away last night and it was fine in about minus 4 with the bit of shelter provided by the tent from the light wind. Would love a Jetboil but I've got higher priorities, need a better inflatable mattress for starters. I can understand why its a priority for you mate, you're living it day to day, I'm just playing at it. My list for santa keeps growing though. :D
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:
Touch wood, I'm fairly well covered for cookers, took a smally gas one away last night and it was fine in about minus 4 with the bit of shelter provided by the tent from the light wind. Would love a Jetboil but I've got higher priorities, need a better inflatable mattress for starters. I can understand why its a priority for you mate, you're living it day to day, I'm just playing at it. My list for santa keeps growing though. :D
Yeah, at times we lose sight of why we are living off-grid and this morning, trying to re-attach the tarps around our caravan in freezing sleet in between lulls in 40mph winds, was a bit of a test of our resolve. I came inside and the pain in my frozen ears and fingers was unbearable. That's when a Jetboil cuppa becomes priceless.

On the plus side, the Tentsile Stingray remains dry and comfortable and relatively unaffected by the storm conditions we have had recently. That is also a pricey bit of kit but as it's been my bedroom for three months, it works out at around £4 a night. In my opinion, money well spent, and I'm sure I'll be saying that in Feb 2018 when we may be back 'indoors' and on grid again.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

An old trick used to be to put your gas canister inside your sleeping bag to keep it warm overnight ready for the first brew of the day.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:An old trick used to be to put your gas canister inside your sleeping bag to keep it warm overnight ready for the first brew of the day.
Yup, did that at the weekend, I also had it in a neoprene sleeve like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-INS ... SwQM9UY32O

I don't know how much of a difference it makes but everything was working fine.
kernow24

Post by kernow24 »

coleman 424 for car camping run on bog standard unleaded - it's hard to beat one of those, awesome stoves if weight isn't an issue, got mine for £65 on the amazon warehouse

then a range of other stoves that take the coleman C100, C200 and C500 type canisters, but I use them with a cheap Chinese adaptor that means you can use them with the cheaper CP250 type canisters.

after that there's a couple of wood gas stoves - Lixada and INTY - both work extremely well, and once up to temperature produce a pretty much clean burn and then a couple of just punched metal square wood stoves that are more just like pot stands that you feed some twigs in the bottom, good for just controlling a small bit of flame without making a full on fire etc these also come with a small dish for alcohol / meth burning.

can't be bothered with trangia / meths stoves, not really good for much other than boiling some water that takes ages compared to most other stoves or heating through some precooked food.