What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Post by Deeps »

I'll be honest, I'm sorting of looking to start a debate as much as anything, I'm away this weekend and its forecast to be around zero. I'm looking to test my new gas 'hob' for my trangia system. I'll throw the traditional trangia kit in too (and I take a hexy stove as an ultimate backup) so I'll not die of lack of options. :lol: What's folks preferred cooking systems when camping/walking ?
Brambles

Re: What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Post by Brambles »

Either a Trangia meths stove or a gel fuel tin used with a Sterno folding stove and an oblong mess tin. I take it fishing too. :) It was my go-to cook set when I used to go backpacking too. I tried other stoves, but honestly, I couldn't find a better one for what I wanted. Oh and I also have a hexi stove as backup.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
unsure

Post by unsure »

i carry a swedish army trangia in the boot along with chaffing fuel gel . i can use it to warm food in the boot with just a small gap in the window .
i also carry the usual back up , a hexi cooker :lol: . wouldn`t like to even try lighting that in the boot .

i did find out the hard way butane gas and cold weather dont mix .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thanks for replying guys, I've been a Coleman dual fuel chap for a while but historically a massive trangia fan. Bought this so looking forward to giving it a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULIN-Mini-P ... 2749.l2648

It was about 50p cheaper when I bought it (bloody brexit eh ? :lol: ) so fancy a play. I've used gas stove systems in the past too, keeping the gas warm when its really cold helps, not that I think it will be that cold this weekend. I've not tried any of the jel systems yet although they look quite versatile.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Depends on type of camping and distance to be covered.

Paraffin systems for static camps or pulk pulling where weight isn't an issue.

This long weekend I'm using an Optimus 45.

Meths or gas burners for distance walking.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
peejay

Post by peejay »

What gas would you use with that Deeps? I fancy getting some sort of stove that runs from traditional red Calor Gas bottles which we'll always have two of in the caravan anyway as a backup for home if needs be. Same bottles can also double up as heating source in a suitable calor heater as well is my thinking.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:What gas would you use with that Deeps? I fancy getting some sort of stove that runs from traditional red Calor Gas bottles which we'll always have two of in the caravan anyway as a backup for home if needs be. Same bottles can also double up as heating source in a suitable calor heater as well is my thinking.
Standard camping butane mate.

You can get sleeves for them to help keep them warm which helps when its cold. Are you thinking of these for the heaters

They're great in the briefcase stoves (brilliant stoves for camping/back garden use) and for putting in the heaters but to my knowledge there aren't any light weight systems for walking.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Ahhh, I have a half-dozen of those coleman canisters already with a coleman "Firelyte" pocket stove to use with them. Was shocked with the energy it was capable of pumping out TBH!

I've also got one of the halfords butane stoves with a dozen cans (bought from the pound shop at your recommendation I believe :) ) so that's two lots.

I was thinking of the larger Calor/Propane side of things, primarily because I have some of them anyway (in the caravan) so it seems sensible to have a burner I can hook up to them with at home if really needed. My thinking is if/when I get a pressure canner, I'll be able to can stuff regardless of whether mains supplies are available.

yes, I realise mains gas is likely one of the last things to go offline, but if a nearby neighbour blows their pad up due to human error etc. then I'm guessing the local mains will be switched off PDQ so worth an inexpensive prep...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

When we do eventually get around to getting a caravan/mobile home I'll be stocking up on the commercial type cylinders too. Nothing wrong with having options. :D
peejay

Post by peejay »

Indeed.

Is it the case that you can use just about any burner (not sure if that's the right term for the 'ot bit) with any gas canister/cylinder, providing you have the correct regulator, or are there certain burners that can't/don't/shouldn't work with certain cylinder types?