What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Re: What's the best cold weather camping sytem

Post by sniper 55 »

We've got the swedish army trangia set but I'm not a fan to be honest, yes they work really well in the cold but I hate the messing about with paraffin, for some reason I aways end up stinking of the stuff. :cry:
These days my stove of choice for normal camping is one of those tiny folding gas stoves, I can get the stove and cannister inside a standard mess tin (and it's light) That said I do carry the old hexy "tommy cooker" as a back up.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

So its looking like whatever system(s) we use, we like a hexy as backup. :lol:
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:So its looking like whatever system(s) we use, we like a hexy as backup. :lol:
It's pretty well foolproof, and it works in the cold, the only issue is it smells a bit, but not as bad as I do after using paraffin....... ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Deeps wrote:So its looking like whatever system(s) we use, we like a hexy as backup. :lol:
It's pretty well foolproof, and it works in the cold, the only issue is it smells a bit, but not as bad as I do after using paraffin....... ;)
At least you've got the paraffin excuse, I don't use paraffin but still smell. :cry:
I've not used proper hexy tabs for years (run out long ago) but use a civvy equivalent and also make my own which take longer to heat but stay lit longer. I take both with me in a tupaware type box.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:
At least you've got the paraffin excuse, I don't use paraffin but still smell. :cry:
I've not used proper hexy tabs for years (run out long ago) but use a civvy equivalent and also make my own which take longer to heat but stay lit longer. I take both with me in a tupaware type box.
Ohhh, whats the "recipe" Deeps? sounds like a project for a winters evening. And I'm getting low on originals as well mate.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Ohhh, whats the "recipe" Deeps? sounds like a project for a winters evening. And I'm getting low on originals as well mate.
Thanks to the wonders of youtube...

I got an old icecube container (holds 16 I think) and ripped up a couple of cotton wool balls and pushed them into each cube. Melted a good size candle and poured the wax into the cubes, gave them a good old push around to get rid of any bubbles and left them to set. Voila, they are quite smoky compared to the bought ones but I did a timed test on a bought one (stood on its end) and it didn't quite boil 500ml before dying after about 8 minutes. The homemade jobs took about 11 minutes (I think) and burned a good bit longer. I think I posted it somewhere on here, I'm starting to doubt myself now. Cover me, I'm going in for a recce....
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

peejay wrote:Indeed.

Is it the case that you can use just about any burner (not sure if that's the right term for the 'ot bit) with any gas canister/cylinder, providing you have the correct regulator, or are there certain burners that can't/don't/shouldn't work with certain cylinder types?
Most portable gas stoves will work with Cylinders (the big ones you exchange full of butane, propane or mixes) as long as you do have the right Regulator

Camping stoves use Canisters and again you need the correct fitting to connect them.

I haven't yet found a way to safely use Canisters on a portable stove..... However, I'm sure there is a gadget for doing just that.

Just to clarify:
This is a portable stove.

And this is what I mean by a Camping stove

A camping stove that uses propane liquid take-off is the least likely gas stove to be affected by cold.

Liquid fuels (Petrol, Paraffin, Naptha and Alcohol) are less affected then gas as they are either un-pressurised (like chaffing gel or a Benghazi Burner) or are pressurised by the stove (Primas, Trangia, Pop-can, Supercat)

I hate the smell of Hexi and so use Alcohol (Pop-can) or Wood (Hobo) most of the time (I do carry Hexi, but thats as a 'need-fire-now' thing and then I'd use it as a quick fire-lighter rather then a fuel in itself).

I've got a scrap-wax burner in the kit too
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Deeps wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:
Thanks to the wonders of youtube...

I got an old icecube container (holds 16 I think) and ripped up a couple of cotton wool balls and pushed them into each cube. Melted a good size candle and poured the wax into the cubes, gave them a good old push around to get rid of any bubbles and left them to set. Voila, they are quite smoky compared to the bought ones but I did a timed test on a bought one (stood on its end) and it didn't quite boil 500ml before dying after about 8 minutes. The homemade jobs took about 11 minutes (I think) and burned a good bit longer. I think I posted it somewhere on here, I'm starting to doubt myself now. Cover me, I'm going in for a recce....
Here's what I posted after testing.......

Off on a bit of a tangent (and re-resurrecting an old thread) but having watched some dudes on youtube make fuel blocks for hexy stoves and the like I thought I'd give it a go. Definitely falls into the dirt cheap category.

Basically, get an ice cube holder, fluff up a couple of cotton wool balls (and pull them apart a bit) and put 2 in each cube. Melt a candle and pour the wax over the cotton balls.
That's it, simples. I did a time test on a hexy tab V home made on 500ml cold water in a mess tin. It was a Highlander tab and definitely caught fire easier and heated up quicker, 1 tab stood on its side lasted about 8 minutes and the water wasn't quite boiling but hot enough for tea coffee and was after about 5 or 6 mins. The home made block took a bit of lighting and longer to heat the water but after 10 minutes it was boiling away and gave out a lot of flame/heat for 16 minutes. Downside was that it was very sooty and I'm not looking forward to cleaning the mess tin but for the price of a candle and some cotton balls its a goer and I'll be carrying both, even if its to use in combination.

They're different to the vaseline soaked pads, they take a bit more lighting, a bit more than the blocks too but they work well and cost buttons.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thats for that mate, I'm going to be digging out some old candles later. :)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've been living in a caravan and sleeping in a tent for a few months and life is made almost bearable by the Jetboil. I don't think there's much out there that can get 500ml boiled in such a quick time. Handy for a rapid cuppa and also good for boil in the bag food.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors