Freecycle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Freecycle

Post by jansman »

My new favourite place is Freecycle https://www.freecycle.org.Locally I have picked up a greenhouse heater and a new breadmaker - never used,a bench saw and a load of strawberry plants.In return I have gifted fishing kit,scrap metal,a stack of foundry bricks,and a load of timber.

I guess many of you will be using Free cycle anyway,but if you are not,check out your local group.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Re: Freecycle

Post by itsybitsy »

I used to be a member but I left a while ago. The stuff folk were asking for was seriously out of control, somebody asked for a canoe FFS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

itsybitsy wrote:I used to be a member but I left a while ago. The stuff folk were asking for was seriously out of control, somebody asked for a canoe FFS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not beyond the realms of possibility, I got a caravan off there once.
I do agree that a lot of the requests are pretty cheeky though, if it's something you desperately need like a sofa or a washing machine and you genuinely can't afford it and don't mind if it's a bit scruffy then go for it, but stuff for hobbies, yeah, take it if it's offered but asking for it is a bit much and it clogs up the site, someone on mine was asking for a PlayStation 4.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Went with a friend to pick up a shed for her back garden, it was dilapidated and the guy was basically looking for someone to remove it for him. I talked her out of it. I really should have a look myself. My mission for tomorrow....
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've used it to mostly give stuff away in the past. You're right about p.. takers though, we advertised a washing machine and, despite saying "collect from us" several people asked if we could deliver
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Used it myself for some time and have picked up some decent stuff and offered stuff in return. Just recently I had someone pick up some farm gates. Occasionally it does make one wonder though. We had a piano that we had intended for the daughter to learn to play on . She didn't take to it and we decided to put the piano on freecycle , it hadn't cost us anything in the first place so no great loss to give it away. We tried several times but without success. However , when we put it up for sale via ( I think) Facebook it sold very quickly :o
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I registered for my local one earlier and there really isn't much there, I don't mean much of interest to me, I mean much of anything. Her Maj is the driver in our house so I can't really extend my 'areas of interest' as she reckons I hoard enough crap now. :lol:

I'll try and keep an eye on it though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting experiences.Useful resource though,especially if cash is tight.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote:I registered for my local one earlier and there really isn't much there, I don't mean much of interest to me, I mean much of anything. Her Maj is the driver in our house so I can't really extend my 'areas of interest' as she reckons I hoard enough crap now. :lol:

I've heard others say the same and to be honest while it's still active in our area it does seem to have slowed down a bit. We are perhaps lucky in that we are at the edges of two groups and belong to both but both do seem to have suffered the same slowing. The last thing I picked up was some dustbin lids for the dustbins I had picked up on a job clearance.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:
Deeps wrote:I registered for my local one earlier and there really isn't much there, I don't mean much of interest to me, I mean much of anything. Her Maj is the driver in our house so I can't really extend my 'areas of interest' as she reckons I hoard enough crap now. :lol:

I've heard others say the same and to be honest while it's still active in our area it does seem to have slowed down a bit. We are perhaps lucky in that we are at the edges of two groups and belong to both but both do seem to have suffered the same slowing. The last thing I picked up was some dustbin lids for the dustbins I had picked up on a job clearance.
Just double checked and we have 2 close by too, both equally crap. I'll try and try and keep half an eye out though.