Mini usb torch head thing??

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Re: Mini usb torch head thing??

Post by sniper 55 »

The battery bank one with the lantern gadget has turned up, and I'm charging it up now. The lantern is fairly bright, enough for an emergency room light.

It does raise another question in my mind though, what minimum size battery bank is it worth buying?
I've got 3 now, all on the small size (2800ma ish) Now I'm tempted to buy a big one but theres two issues for me. One is actually buying a good one, I'm seeing silly figures for capacities on both ebay and amazon, you know they are impossible from the size of the bank. So how do I tell if the one I buy has proper battery protection and large capacity? The second issue is I hardly ever use the ones I've got now. (yes I cycle them from time to time) but I've probably actually used one for real about twice in 3 years, and that for charging my phone on an overnighter somewhere. Do I need another pound to carry around?.
Mr's Sniper is giving me enough grief about my pockets now.
The other day she went to get my jacket to pass to me, and she nearly had a fit, she could hardly lift it, I got twenty questions and a telling off, and the dreaded "how many torches have you got in there...?"
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

We have 3 battery banks. One is 5000mAh which I carry in my work bag as emergency electricity :) it's a generaic auction site jobbie. I also have 2 Aukey 20,000mAh batteries. These are the bits, I took one camping and it provided light (using one of those lights Andy referred to) and electricity for the 5 days away with juice to spare. These are our emergency electricity supply at home. I am happy to recommend the Aukey brand. I can't tell you if the power rate is genuine, I have niether the know how or inclination to test them. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Outpu ... dpSrc=srch
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks Brambles. Testing capacity properly isn't easy as far as I understand it, it's not a simple job like voltage or amps.
I'll have a look out for those Aukey brand ones. Thanks mate.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've some power banks, going from the small 'lipstick' ones that these lamps seem designed for all the way up to one with an unrealistic claim (20000 MaH I think). Same as most things I guess, you get what you pay for. Anker are another decent make and some of the ebay ones are pretty decent but a bit of a gamble. They seem to be cheaper than they were too which is a bonus.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

you can get a very good working cycling head torch from the pound shop. They work on 3 AAA batteries and are long lasting. Might as well get a hand full of them as you can take the straps off an stand them up to make room lighting if things are bad. I still have no main lighting in my bathroom and I use them to light up the bathroom when I shower.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

nickdutch wrote:you can get a very good working cycling head torch from the pound shop. They work on 3 AAA batteries and are long lasting. Might as well get a hand full of them as you can take the straps off an stand them up to make room lighting if things are bad. I still have no main lighting in my bathroom and I use them to light up the bathroom when I shower.
That's a good point, if its the same ones as I'm thinking they're a bit bulky for head torches but as you say, for a quid they're still lighting.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
nickdutch wrote:you can get a very good working cycling head torch from the pound shop. They work on 3 AAA batteries and are long lasting. Might as well get a hand full of them as you can take the straps off an stand them up to make room lighting if things are bad. I still have no main lighting in my bathroom and I use them to light up the bathroom when I shower.
That's a good point, if its the same ones as I'm thinking they're a bit bulky for head torches but as you say, for a quid they're still lighting.

I keep one of those by the back door for when I have to check the animals this time of year.Cheap as you can get and it takes the same batteries as the Lensers I have at the door.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

They did a bigger one, the lens looked something similar (lots of leds) but it was a LOT brighter and threw a beam a heck of a long way. I've got one in the car. I think it's AA though (not 100% sure) Really impressive for a pound.