Stoneware Hot Water Bottles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
FlashPan

Stoneware Hot Water Bottles

Post by FlashPan »

Morning all,

So, I was thinking about being stuck at home with no heat and trying to keep warm (actually happened some years ago, the boiler broke, bad snow everywhere and could not get an engineer out for 3 days - and this is living in central London). Anyhow, I recalled a while ago I picked up 3 used water bottles. Like below.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/168/0/13522 ... 5_b0bq.jpg

The screw on stopper/bung has a rubber type washer to help seal the bottle. The ones I have are disintegrating or quite hard now and can leak if the bottle is tipped.

Am going to search for some type of replacement washer. Can anyone advise on the type of material or rubber I should be looking for? Or does it not matter?

Thanks and cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
jansman

Re: Stoneware Hot Water Bottles

Post by jansman »

You could try neoprene ,or cut one from a rubber car mat,or even leather smeared with Vaseline?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i do recall having those when i was growing . long before every one [ well all most every one ] had central heating .
i seem to remember my dad making new seals out of old wellington boots . :P
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

unsure wrote:i do recall having those when i was growing . long before every one [ well all most every one ] had central heating .
i seem to remember my dad making new seals out of old wellington boots . :P
Bingo!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I still carry a scar from one of these under my chin. As a lad we used these, and one day I dived on the bed and didn't see the bottle, caught my chin a wallop on the stopper, big cut and bled like a pig (or so I remember)
You can get rubber gasket sheeting on ebay cheap enough, might be worth trying a plumbing supplier, they may have something that fits.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I was thinking of ebay initially but I could not find flat O-rings. A sheet of rubber/gasket may fit the bill as I don't have any old wellies spare.

I remember all too often dropping one quite frequently on my toes when I was a lad. Even more or remember the "bang" as it hit the floor when I pushed it out of bed whilst asleep. Bomb proof these things.

In a prepping sense, I was also thinking that in the morning you can still use the luke warm water for a wash. Think I remember a Laurel and Hardy sketch where Laurel had the classic rubber type, they both got out of bed (no one thought that was odd then :) ), the morning coffee was the liquid in the bottle and he just up ended it into a coffee cups :>
Gordon's Alive!?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

No doubt some would roll their eyes at the thought of reusing the water from a hot water bottle but it is something I've done. Not for tea or coffee but I have used it to flush the toilet and clear the windscreen on the car. If it's barely lukewarm I've used it to "wash" away the ice , if still fairly warm I've put it on the dashboard to warm the screen that way.
My father always had all sorts of odds and ends of rubber material and can remember him cutting new washers. Failing a stock of bits and pieces builders or plumbers merchants normally stock rubber O rings in various sizes.
I do know the ceramic hot water bottles flashpan mentions although I've never used one. I have used a warmed up rock and even a brick although they are a bit more uncomfortable with their sharp edges.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A set of Wad-cutter punches would be useful for cutting washers etc
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar