New chainsaw.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

New chainsaw.

Post by jansman »

This week I scored a mahoosive load of logs from a neighbour who no longer burns solid fuel.There are more still when I can be bothered. They were all about 3 feet in length so needed sawing.I have a Stihl petrol job,but the chain needed sharpening,and I couldn't be bothered to do it!

The only problem with petrol saws ( anyone who uses one will get this), is the constant fiddling and fettling,mixing fuel and faffing about.So I got me one of these...https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb355 ... 230v/92771

This afternoon I used it to clear all the wood.Once I had set it up,it was just plug in and go! And I must say I am most impressed with it.It has a neat safety feature too.As soon as you release the trigger,the chain stops immediately, even as the motor winds down to a halt.There is of course the standard manual chain brake too.For use in the backyard I can thoroughly recommend it.Not bad for a penny short of £60 - with a spare chain thrown in for nowt! Oh yes,and a 2 year guarantee.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: New chainsaw.

Post by pseudonym »

Very nice. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

A year or so back I heard the sound of a chainsaw coming from my garden. I looked out the back and there were two blokes cutting up a tree that had come down a few weeks before. "Bloody cheek" I though and went down to confront them. "Who are you and What the f... do you think you're doing ?" I shouted in my angriest voice (from a safe distance obvs). "Oh hello. I'm Colin's (lad next door) brother. He told me your wife said we could have some of this for our wood burner. said not to ring the bell cos you work nights".
"Ah, right. Would you like a cup of tea ?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

korolev wrote:A year or so back I heard the sound of a chainsaw coming from my garden. I looked out the back and there were two blokes cutting up a tree that had come down a few weeks before. "Bloody cheek" I though and went down to confront them. "Who are you and What the f... do you think you're doing ?" I shouted in my angriest voice (from a safe distance obvs). "Oh hello. I'm Colin's (lad next door) brother. He told me your wife said we could have some of this for our wood burner. said not to ring the bell cos you work nights".

:lol:

Had a chap dropping a tree next door just got home from work stood in backdoor watching as crap was landing in our garden... Next thing loud crack as the boundary fence was rotten as he lands in our pond ... Just avoiding landing on the bar...

Turns out neighbour had neglected to tell that he was replacing the boundary fence....

Decent chainsaw gloves / visor / jacket and spats are a must!

As too is a trauma kit on site and easy to open. . Due to the cut and rake teeth they remove flesh too easily at full chain width and the infection risk from the oil / sap / sawdust isn't pritty (I've seen the result of a snapped chain whipping a wrist and it's not good.... Gauze and pressure dressings from the forrestary first aid ammo tin saved the day...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

korolev wrote:A year or so back I heard the sound of a chainsaw coming from my garden. I looked out the back and there were two blokes cutting up a tree that had come down a few weeks before. "Bloody cheek" I though and went down to confront them. "Who are you and What the f... do you think you're doing ?" I shouted in my angriest voice (from a safe distance obvs). "Oh hello. I'm Colin's (lad next door) brother. He told me your wife said we could have some of this for our wood burner. said not to ring the bell cos you work nights".
:lol:

Go gettim' tiger.

I suspect most of us would be the same, "what the fu...", "your missus said it was fine mate", "OK, fancy a wet?"
Ring the missus, get told that she'd told you Colin's brother was coming round, (I can't believe you don't remember, don't you listen to me blah blah blah). Make the teas and think, feck, I could have had that wood for the woodstore I was planning on making.

Life goes on. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Had a chap dropping a tree next door just got home from work stood in backdoor watching as crap was landing in our garden... Next thing loud crack as the boundary fence was rotten as he lands in our pond ... Just avoiding landing on the bar...

Turns out neighbour had neglected to tell that he was replacing the boundary fence....

Decent chainsaw gloves / visor / jacket and spats are a must!

As too is a trauma kit on site and easy to open. . Due to the cut and rake teeth they remove flesh too easily at full chain width and the infection risk from the oil / sap / sawdust isn't pritty (I've seen the result of a snapped chain whipping a wrist and it's not good.... Gauze and pressure dressings from the forrestary first aid ammo tin saved the day...[/quote]

I have the proper kit.Working as I do everyday with all kinds of cutting equipment, you treat it with respect...

I remember an incident at the meat market some years ago.Lad got his hand in an industrial slicer.Carnage! So they packed the hand in ice,into a plastic bag and round to the hospital .Anyhow,with the wonders of modern medicine they stitches it back on and with physio he got better.

Anyhow,a few months later,the same lad,same machine,tripped and went in head first.Cut his head clean off! So they packed the head in ice - in a plastic bag- and took it,with his body to the hospital.When the got there the doctor said," There's nowt we can do." The lads said," But when we brought him in with a severed hand,you fixed it,why not now?"

The doctor replied,"We could have saved him,but you prats put his head in a plastic bag and the poor bugger's suffocated!" :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

:D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've got a petrol chainsaw , stihl , and very nice too. I tend to mix up the petrol a gallon at a time which is much less of a fuss and I have other two stroke tools that it gets used in.
I've also got a small electric and have used electric saws at work for decades. On one job I had the task of cutting a slot in a beam to take a steel plate. The beam was located in a room around 18 ft square and the site agent brought in a petrol saw. He started it up and the room very quickly started to fill with visible fumes. "I'm not using that " I said and despite his protestations I stuck to my guns and a very disgruntled site agent was forced to return to the yard to exchange it for an electric saw. That's the other advantage with electric , useable indoors.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very good point there grenfell.

Robert Frost.

Me.
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

Always check your chain, i was sharpening my chainsaw and found a couple of cutting teeth had snapped off, needless to say the chain was replaced.
also always make sure there's plenty of chain oil in the tank........... happy cutting :D