Thinking of battery banks/chargers again

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
FlashPan

Thinking of battery banks/chargers again

Post by FlashPan »

So yet again my mind wanders to this subject.

At the moment I don’t really use them at all. Handy having one for travel (and naturally emergencies). My worry is, if I go an d buy something like the blitzwolf

https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-Powe ... iewhistory

As I would hardly use it I fear the battery quality may degrade quicker?

Then I was thinking of a DIY sort. Plus maybe in harder times easier to find the components?

https://www.banggood.com/HAWEEL-4x18650 ... alsobought

So if I source the batts and then they degrade with lack of use, then at least I do not have to replace all the batts or entire unit?

Another question though is suitable good quality batts?
Gordon's Alive!?
Jamesey1981

Re: Thinking of battery banks/chargers again

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I've had an Anker power bank for ages, I don't use it a huge amount, but if I haven't used it then once a month or so I charge my iPad and my phone with it which near enough flattens it and then recharge it, lasted a couple of years like that with no noticeable drop in capacity.

One other thing, within the last week or so I bought a 10,000mah power bank from Lidl for fourteen quid, they may still have them and so far it seems great, so might be worth a punt as they're cheap.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
peejay

Post by peejay »

TBH they're cheap enough these days that you might as well just buy the likes of an Anker (I have a couple & never had a problem).

You can get little 1-cell battery banks on ebay for a couple of quid that you can throw your own 18650 battery into so you don't /have/ to go to the likes of bangood etc.

Bear in mind that the two items you linked to are subtly different - the first being usb-c specific (both input and output).

There's a whole industry revolving around 18650 batteries - I've been playing with them myself recently recovering them from old laptop batteries but have to say my success rate so far (in finding viable/useable batteries) hasn't been great so far, but I've learn't a lot :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have an Anker and it has to be discharged every three months.It will charge seven devices from zero.And it does.For about 25 quid it does the job.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
roddas

Post by roddas »

Hi I'm new to the site but have been prepping for some time, on the subject of battery banks I have a tracer lifepo4 16ah battery witch has a t -bar type socket and you can use this to connect pretty much anything including phone charger or lights and it will pretty much sit in any state of charge for a very long time, and for the larger stuff I have solar panels and wind turbine hooked up to a bank of 1000ah wet cell nicads witch also has multiple usb ports and 2 inverters to run major appliances like fridge and freezer and TV also a small heater, I believe in prepping big in case we ever lose the grid witch does happen a lot here as I live on a small island
roddas

Post by roddas »

Sorry didn't finish what I was saying, the point of the last post was to say I have a fair amount of experience in back up power and battery banks so if I can help just give me a shout