Compact Toolkit?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Britcit

Re: Compact Toolkit?

Post by Britcit »

I actually do have one of the ones first linked to. Have used it a few times, but yes the build quality is pants.

Its okay for very light diy work, but not much more than that. I think I got my from pound land. For a quid its worth having in the toolbox. But not as a goto tool, or something to carry around.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Deeps wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I've been using it every now and then for over a year and I have no complaints at all, the thread on the cap for the storage compartment is a little crunchy but it doesn't affect it in use.

If you watch the Big Clive YouTube channel one of those is his main screwdriver!

It's also magnetic which is handy when working with tiny screws.
You should get a job in sales mate, you've convinced me to push the boat out and get one. Or three. ;)
Lol, I'm a mortgage and insurance broker. ;)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

To throw another screwdriver into the works ;) I use the one from Wilkos: http://www.wilko.com/all-hand-tools/wil ... lsrc=aw.ds
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

For the amount of money you'll save I don't see any need to give these cheap and not so cheerful brands a go. You can get something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-26070171 ... B0071IK9CI for next to nothing, and it's from a reputable brand. You could get a small extension bar if you wanted more reach.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

one thing that troubles me is with the recent uk laws that relate to the carrying of knifes how does this effect the carrying of multitools, with blades, in a public place, with out good reason? Could it be if stopped whilst carrying a small tool set your liable to be charged for going equipped? I have learnt that carrying a masked axe on the outside of your pack is not allowed, (even though I do) another thing to bare in mind is the Bahco Laplander Folding Saw is lockable and has a blade longer than 3" so also illegal to carry in a public place without just cause. How long before that it will become illegal to carry lighters, Matches, tinder etc... just in case we set fire to items in a public place.... Just a few thoughts.
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Going equipped is a tricky one, but in order to nick you for that they need to have a good reason to suspect that you're going to use your item for criminal purposes.
An example would be a known burglar sneaking around in bushes in someone's front garden while in possession of a jemmy.
Whereas I always have a resqme tool on my keys, I could use it to break into cars, but I have no history of breaking into cars and don't behave like I'm about to, it would be a job to convince a court that that's why I have it so even the most jobsworth copper isn't going to bother, whatever the opinion of the officer, they need to be able to convince a court, if they fail it's wasted effort and knackers their figures.
Going equipped is usually used by the police when they have a well known local scrote that they know is about to commit a crime but they don't have anything else they can nick them for as they haven't committed the crime YET, that way it gets them off the street for long enough that they can't break into the house/car that they were planning to, most of the time they don't even get charged as it's such a tricky one to prove in court, you need to prove intent, and if the defendant says the right thing then that's the case out of the window.

With the knife laws, multi tools are usually illegal without lawful reason as they usually have locking blades, but if you're doing work or hobbies that require tools then there's your good reason, just take it off your belt if you go for a pint on the way back.
I've had many dealings with police with a leatherman on my belt and never had an issue, they haven't even questioned it, although I have switched to a SAK now for day to day as I do different work now and would find it more difficult to justify if I was questioned, but at the end of the day, unless you do something to attract the attention of the police then you're unlikely to be asked.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

FlashPan wrote:Hi all,

I've been collating some small bits and bobs that I can throw in a rucksack. Been thinking for a while about screw drivers/socket sets etc. Then found this type of tool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Pcs-T-BAR- ... SwMNxXaZBj

I know it's basically a screwdriver that can take different heads but I like the T bar design as I think it gives you more torque /strength.

Am not looking at doing an A-Team thing here and rebuild a tank but I can still see sense in stowing something like this.

Question is though, as the metal rod does not fit that far into the handle am concerned about quality of build (bar spinning around inside the handle or detaching if too much pressure exerted).

So I guess my question is if anyone knows of a good quality brand or still best to keep to a quality brand of the old screw driver handle type?

Cheers
I've got one of these in work, it's ok, it's only used for tightening some nuts that work loose on one bit of kit, that said these nuts are not screwed up solid tight as they have a spring behind them and a moving component. It''ll tighten up pretty well but I don't know how it would fair on say a really tight nut or screw. It's not exactly high quality.
For a few quid more you can get a set in a pouch with much better quality (few sockets, screwdrives etc)