Compact Toolkit?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
FlashPan

Compact Toolkit?

Post by FlashPan »

Hi all,

I've been collating some small bits and bobs that I can throw in a rucksack. Been thinking for a while about screw drivers/socket sets etc. Then found this type of tool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Pcs-T-BAR- ... SwMNxXaZBj

I know it's basically a screwdriver that can take different heads but I like the T bar design as I think it gives you more torque /strength.

Am not looking at doing an A-Team thing here and rebuild a tank but I can still see sense in stowing something like this.

Question is though, as the metal rod does not fit that far into the handle am concerned about quality of build (bar spinning around inside the handle or detaching if too much pressure exerted).

So I guess my question is if anyone knows of a good quality brand or still best to keep to a quality brand of the old screw driver handle type?

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
Wood cutter

Re: Compact Toolkit?

Post by Wood cutter »

The idea is a good one, but the one you linked to is junk. You are quite right, if you put any torque through the handle it will just spin.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

As someone who uses screwdrivers on a daily basis .... all I can say is stay clear of those multibit drivers they are ok if your in a jam and that's all you have but they're normally made of cheap rubbish and dont last long. best thing you can do is get a set of decent insulated drivers (that way you can use them for electrical work too if needed).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiha-SoftFinis ... rivers+set
Last edited by xplosiv1 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There's some good ideas for a compact tool kit in this video, not one of mine but I like this guy's videos.
https://youtu.be/juB1pdB72x0 this is the first in a series of three.

I've never personally found a good t bar screwdriver, I've no doubt they exist but they're overwhelmingly cheap and nasty, but if you look out for a normal screwdriver handle one that has a squared off or hex section on the shaft you can use a small adjustable spanner on it when you need extra torque.

Oh and the little pen style Stanley screwdriver that Andy linked to is brilliant.

One other thing, Poundland sell a really handy screwdriver in their tommy Walsh range, it's an aluminium handle with steel micro screwdriver bits in the handle, not for big stuff but if you ever need precision screwdrivers on the fly it's great, and for a quid you can't go wrong.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Thanks for the info guy,

I wasn't going to buy the one I had shown earlier for the exact reason Wood cutter said :)

Browsing last night I did find this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannesmann-An ... 1438.l2649

Again I know it is a cheap item, the brand name I have heard before but cannot recall if a good brand or not? I like this unit as the bits are double ended as well as the bar/stem thingy.
Gordon's Alive!?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's some good ideas for a compact tool kit in this video, not one of mine but I like this guy's videos.
https://youtu.be/juB1pdB72x0 this is the first in a series of three.

I've never personally found a good t bar screwdriver, I've no doubt they exist but they're overwhelmingly cheap and nasty, but if you look out for a normal screwdriver handle one that has a squared off or hex section on the shaft you can use a small adjustable spanner on it when you need extra torque.

Oh and the little pen style Stanley screwdriver that Andy linked to is brilliant.

One other thing, Poundland sell a really handy screwdriver in their tommy Walsh range, it's an aluminium handle with steel micro screwdriver bits in the handle, not for big stuff but if you ever need precision screwdrivers on the fly it's great, and for a quid you can't go wrong.
I've seen that Tommy Walsh one but was put off by the low price, for that price I'll get one if its not too bad.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I've been using it every now and then for over a year and I have no complaints at all, the thread on the cap for the storage compartment is a little crunchy but it doesn't affect it in use.

If you watch the Big Clive YouTube channel one of those is his main screwdriver!

It's also magnetic which is handy when working with tiny screws.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I've been using it every now and then for over a year and I have no complaints at all, the thread on the cap for the storage compartment is a little crunchy but it doesn't affect it in use.

If you watch the Big Clive YouTube channel one of those is his main screwdriver!

It's also magnetic which is handy when working with tiny screws.
You should get a job in sales mate, you've convinced me to push the boat out and get one. Or three. ;)