Where to start?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jay

Where to start?

Post by Jay »

Apologies as I am not sure where to post it so MOD's/Admin feel free to amend and move if required.

Following the beginners advice on here I sat down today and started a list/spreadsheet of equipment I would need when I start putting together my hiking/survival backpack breaking down the main areas, starting with the main headings of Backpack, Shelter, Water, Fire etc then breaking them down further then into individual items. I can say this, it is very easy to get carried away and end up with a list so long that you would also need a truck to transport everything on it! But........as I am on a very tight budget common sense (in the end) will have to prevail and many things will disappear as the list is reviewed over the coming weeks.

So where do I actually start? Do I buy a backpack first and then fit my gear into it? Or do I start buying the contents then buy a bag that will fit in?

After reading many reviews from all over the internet I ended up with a short list of backpacks that could suit my hiking/survival backpack requirements, for interest these are:

Teton Mountain 4000
ALPS Commander
Osprey Atmos 65
Berghaus Trailhead 65 Rucksack

I will add here that the price difference for certain things when buying in the USA and the UK is frightening and the term Rip Off Britain is very true! But I am drifting of subject here!!!

So any thoughts on the best way forward? Backpack or contents first?

Apologies for sounding a bit naive (thick) but this is a totally different area to our current self sufficiency situation.
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.
Deeps

Re: Where to start?

Post by Deeps »

First off mate, no need to apologise, no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers. ;)

You do have a bit of a 'chicken and egg' situation, everyone's prepping is different but have a nose on youtube at what other folk are doing, it will give you an indication on both what others think are important to carry and also the size of bag to put the stuff in. You mention hiking AND survival, personally I don't have any of the tactical bags, I'm sure they're great for the whole bugging out thing (which isn't really my bag..... :lol: ) but for the hiking side of things you're better off with bags with the big compartment. They can of course be used for running away from zombies etc too, organise things in dry bags inside the bag, it works for me (and plenty others). That's just my bias, others will see it differently so do your research as best you can, have a play in some of the outdoorsy shops, put the bags on and feel what fits you. I'm an odd shape, I've a long back and have never bought a bag online because I want to try them on (could always try them on in a shop and buy cheaper online of course). I'd say 65L is a good size general bag, you could live out it for a few days comfortably if you're using the 72 hr scenario for a 'bug out bag' but only you can really figure out what will work for you. If you are planning on using it as a bag for doing walks AND the whole zombie evasion thing then I'd go for muted colours though, for some reason most of my rucksacks are red although I've got black ones too. Even got a camo one that I seem to have picked up before I left the Mob, never worn it out though, but that's my thing.

Don't be shy asking the questions though.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I have backpacked on and off for some years. One thing I can say, buy the best sleeping bag you can afford and unless you are camping in woodland, buy a tent and keep everything else simple. Last time I went out, my bag and contents (including 4 days food) weighed less than 15kg including the bag.

I have never seen the appeal of having a bag to bug out to the wilds, and have never had one, although I could put one together if I had to. :) A lot of us here have what we lovingly call a HOB(hotel bag) which contains everything we need for a good stay at a decent hotel away from whatever has driven us from our home. As Deeps has aleady said though have a look through the web and see what takes your fancy. Take stuff out and field test it, you'd be amazed at what you don't need. :D

But in case you are interested here are some pics of my last backpacking outing. :)

Food pack.
DSCN0527.JPG
Full Kit.
DSCN0528.JPG
Camp.
DSCN0531.JPG
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Don't dismiss army surplus for a bag ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Don't dismiss army surplus for a bag ;)
Yip. Mine's a medium ALICE pack, but the frame is a bit long on me so I wouldn't want to walk miles with it, however the outside frame is very handy.
Oh and have a walking pole. They're brill. When it chucked it down, I set up the little tarp I had as a porch arrangement with it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Don't dismiss army surplus for a bag ;)
Yip. Mine's a medium ALICE pack, but the frame is a bit long on me so I wouldn't want to walk miles with it, however the outside frame is very handy.
Oh and have a walking pole. They're brill. When it chucked it down, I set up the little tarp I had as a porch arrangement with it.
Speaking of walking poles and tarps, there are some excellent tarps (I've got a 3 x 3 DD) that you can turn into excellent shelters and cut down massively on your weight (bag, not arse unfortunately :( ). For anyone who is unaware go on youtube and type in "DD tarp", loads of options. No substitute for a 'proper' tent but depending on what you want to do an option.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Most important, try before you buy.

I love Army surplus shops, most carry all you'll need.

Heavier than civilian models but cheap in most instances.

I got a hardly used Berghaus 90/20 MMPS rucksack for half price.

You also get to load the rucksack up with weight and walk about a bit to see how it fits :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Chances are whatever rucksack you buy you'll be buying another one six months down the line. Some people spend their whole lives and a large chunk of money trying to find the "perfect" rucksack.
Part of the problem is as you get more experienced the kit you carry will change and evolve, so the bag that was just right may end up too small or too big.
Best advice I can give is if you can, try a bag first, beg borrow or scrounge one, fill it with say 30lbs and go for a wander. See how it feels after a few hours.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

sniper 55 wrote:Chances are whatever rucksack you buy you'll be buying another one six months down the line. Some people spend their whole lives and a large chunk of money trying to find the "perfect" rucksack.
Part of the problem is as you get more experienced the kit you carry will change and evolve, so the bag that was just right may end up too small or too big.
Best advice I can give is if you can, try a bag first, beg borrow or scrounge one, fill it with say 30lbs and go for a wander. See how it feels after a few hours.
Yup..what he says! What's important is that you start. It's very easy to tie yourself up in existential knots agonising over which is the perfect bag, knife, cook-set, tent, etc. that you end up not buying anything. So gather some general advice then plump for something that most people seem to like and is within your price comfort level, and try it out. It may work for you, it may not. Everyone is different. If it doesn't, then work out why it doesn't and get something that fixes those problems, but accept it may then introduce other problems. What is the "perfect item" will change over time.

A note on American preppers' advice: naturally they will advise about American goods, which are usually more than double the price here particularly once you add on postage. Whilst the suggestions may well be really excellent things, you have to ask yourself are they worth the cost here? Also, they may not know of even better things that are easily available here but rare in the US. So when it comes to gear it's probably better to weight British advice over American advice. Not for any political or jingoistic reasoning, but purely to do with availability and price. Of course should you find yourself visiting the US on an expenses paid work trip, knock yourself out in Walmart! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Keep a good look out on eBay at this time of year, this is the time that people get rid of gear, I've had some real bargains on hardly used gear that people have used once and didn't like, things like silnylon ultralight tarps for twenty quid.
Some people think they want to do something, throw a load of money at it and don't like it, then sell their gear at the end of the season, and as all the shops have sales coming up and there's not many people buying camping gear in the run up to winter prices are kept low as well.

I made a video of the gear I took on a wild camping trip recently, so here's a link if you want to have a look https://youtu.be/XimKhsLfhM4 I use different gear depending on the trip and what I use might not work for you but it might give you a starting point.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.