Where to start?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jay

Re: Where to start?

Post by Jay »

Many thanks everyone for your replies.

@Jamesey1981 - I watched the video with interest, I liked the fact you explained your reasoning behind the kit you packed, to an idiot like me that helped a lot.

@ukpreppergrrl - Fully agree, I made a massive list of things for my hiking/survival bag, read up on many of them then sat here scratching my head confused!!

@Brambles - Sound advice regarding a tent and sleeping bag.

Once again many thanks to everyone.
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I've a few different bags all depending on what i'm doing or where im going, it all comes down to personal preference, experience and the knowledge of what gear is actually essential. go do some window shopping in local camping shops ..... never buy a bag without trying it on first. Also keep in mind what you'll be using it for and what you intend to put in it, if you want a bag for say a 3 day to 1 week trip for some people a 50L is more than enough , I'm 6'4" and 18Stone (of mostly muscle lol) so my stuff is also big and bulky and smaller bags for extended trips just wont cut it.

heres two of mine

Daybag - Mountain Hardwear rainshadow 26 - completly waterproof and holds everything I need for a day in the wild (cooking equipment, spare clothes, food, water, medical +survival supplies, maps etc)

old faithful - North face Badlands 75 - this bad boy has lasted through years of abuse and will hold an unbelievable amount of kit in it. I bought one of these about 15 years ago in germany for about £70 nothing has ever broken on it and still the most comfortable bag I have ---- used ones on ebay are advertised for £70 to £150 Crazy lol

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
MAiwick

Post by MAiwick »

So where do I actually start? Do I buy a backpack first and then fit my gear into it? Or do I start buying the contents then buy a bag that will fit in?
For my first ever bag, I've gone contents first, to give me an idea of how big a bag I'd need. I'm not planning a BOB for outdoors survival so much - that's stage 2 when I'm a bit more knowledgeable! This first bag is more for an evacuation centre. Like the school halls or churches you see flood victims spending days in, and then maybe even weeks as they're bumped around relatives and B&Bs while their houses dry out.