Are you considering buying a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pupeno

Are you considering buying a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack?

Post by pupeno »

Hello preppers,

For my bug out bag I chose a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack and my girlfriend and I made a very long video going through all the details of the backpack. I am lucky enough that I could go to a shop and try it out and see it for myself, but since these types of backpacks are not available everywhere, I'm trying to give you the next best experience. I actually measured every single pocket and dissembled the back support for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJW9thdtk0k

So far I'm happy with it but be aware that the way you route the hose for a hydration bladder is horrible. I'm actually thinking of modifying the backpack to improve that. This is something I didn't realize when I was buying it.
--
J. Pablo Fernández https://pupeno.com
Plymtom

Re: Are you considering buying a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack?

Post by Plymtom »

Not considering... have done about two years behind my son, there's no doubting the quality, and capacity to organize your gear, but some people just prefer a big space which they can fill with things like small dry bags, nice video BTW I confess I didn't watch it all, I didn't need to :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Good video and you've certainly covered the Rush 72 in great detail but, forgive me for pointing it out, you've overlooked the hidden concealed-carry slot behind the main compartment.........Nah...just kidding :-)

I have a Rush 72 and find it comfortable up to about 20kg. It's tough and durable and water resistant. I use mine as a weekend bag with a few additional pouches for first aid and fast access kit. A crusader cooking kit fits neatly in the side pouch.

I am a bit of a 5.11 gear freak, my current EDC bag is a Triab 18.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
pupeno

Post by pupeno »

That's really good info about the cooking kit. I have yet to get one and I run out of space already. I'd like some help figuring out how to improve my kit, but that's another post all together.
--
J. Pablo Fernández https://pupeno.com
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

pupeno wrote:That's really good info about the cooking kit. I have yet to get one and I run out of space already. I'd like some help figuring out how to improve my kit, but that's another post all together.
I'm using the crusader 2 cookset, and it fits just fine in the side pouch. In the other pouch, I have a solo stove cookset and on top of that there is space for another 58 pattern bottle. Food and fuel pack into the stoves so both side pouches are fully utilised. It's only my view of course, but I'd recommend both those cooksets for being light and compact. I also have a jetboil - this is the Rolls Royce of cookers but I find it a bit too bulky to be in the Rush 72 all the time.

It's a good pack and I'm sure you'll start compacting your kit down so it all fits. There's a wealth of info on the forum on how to down-size and utilise space in EDC and GHB bags.
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

I have a Rush 24 and a push pack. Both awesome and still going strong. Pretty much all the 5.11 stuff is well made etc
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Boggles my mind why people would want to be carrying military / tactical style gear in a SHTF scenario ....... the 5.11 gear looks great and i'm sure is well made but if your bugging out with the masses, people will spot the prepper and thats the last thing you want.

they may think you have some goodies in that bag and with the assumption that you might be army or ex army they'll come at you with everything they have to get it.

on a different note high end hiking/ mountaineering gear will also attract the wrong kind of attention if your leaving a city or highly populated area, i'm kinda in the sticks so it'd be out the backdoor with my best gear and into the highlands.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:Boggles my mind why people would want to be carrying military / tactical style gear in a SHTF scenario ....... the 5.11 gear looks great and i'm sure is well made but if your bugging out with the masses, people will spot the prepper and thats the last thing you want.

they may think you have some goodies in that bag and with the assumption that you might be army or ex army they'll come at you with everything they have to get it.

on a different note high end hiking/ mountaineering gear will also attract the wrong kind of attention if your leaving a city or highly populated area, i'm kinda in the sticks so it'd be out the backdoor with my best gear and into the highlands.
I feel the same, even down to wearing camo gear, if in the incredibly unlikely scenario (in my view) that we end up some mass exodus from the populated areas then dressing like you have loads of gucci gear will end up with you taking a beating from somebody, and losing your gear. Same with threatening someone (or a group) with an air rifle, if its seen for what it is then its sore face time and losing your gear. All very unlikely in my opinion but if this is the stuff people envisage prepping for then its going to be a tough gig.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I wanted a get home bag come range and activities bag, trust me if I ever had to use it as a get home bag, what it looked like would be the least of my problems, but I need a handcart really for that scenario, the rucksack is just one small element of what is a nightmare scenario that I hope will never happen :lol:

I feel very vulnerable as I get older, I try and walk as if I'm taking my time, but truth be known it's top speed :lol: And a rucksack loaded is a bloody liability for many a reason, bad people wanting your gear in desperate times- I'm not sure there is a safe bet but I get where everyone is coming from.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

xplosiv1 wrote:Boggles my mind why people would want to be carrying military / tactical style gear in a SHTF scenario ....... the 5.11 gear looks great and i'm sure is well made but if your bugging out with the masses, people will spot the prepper and thats the last thing you want.

You have a point there. Although in my case, my Rush 72 is used for work, as I'm a part-time woodsman and it holds enough kit for a weekend of self-sufficiency. On the odd occasion I risk going to places where there are pavements and streetlights, I become Mr Grey, but that's another trilogy altogether.