Time to upgrade my Vulture II Go-Bag...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Time to upgrade my Vulture II Go-Bag...

Post by dangerman »

So this green badboy is going on eBay soon. The novelty of the build quality wore off after I realised that non of my clothes look good with the colour. I also learned that for my needs I want something with more organisational pockets.

I was also thinking that I want to take a more minimalist approach to the go-bag and so I think I'll try something smaller.

Would anyone say something like the 5.11 Rush 12 or Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II is big enough for this purpose? They're both apparently around the 20-25 litre kind of size.

I like the tactical look and like that I can attach coats and tents and things to the outside if needed, but I want plain old black.

I suppose I could go for the bigger Rush 24 and aim to have a load of extra unused space in it - but you know the deal, it's all too tempting to bring a load of spare crap that would never get used.

Thoughts?

Pygmy:

Rush 12 (as if you've not seen this before):

I do think the Pygmy is better looking, but the reviews of the 5.11 are pretty much perfect everywhere I look.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Time to upgrade my Vulture II Go-Bag...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Or the Bugout 55L by Piper gear!

Has what you are looking for and can turn into a suitcase.

There is a couple on ebay now.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Hi Bud,
I've been using the 5.11 Rush 12 as my everyday home/work/apocalypse bag now for 3 yr.. can't frickin fault it tbh.. loads of small internal pouches and I've come to organize it over time in such a way that I literally think of each pouch/pocket as the "phone pocket" or "leatherman pocket" or "FAK pocket" etc, even use the zip area that is designed for the back support panel to carry an emergency shelter kit...... and the reason I've become so familiar with it in this way?= the build quality so good that after 3 yr it's like new! not to mention 100% waterproof.

OM
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Thanks you's. I might go for a Rush too if a bargain comes up on eBay. I've set up a saved search to email me when they turn up on there.

What's this Piper Gear bag about then? I can't see anything on youtube about it. It is too my for what I want personally, but sounds good for a familiy kit bag.

In the end I spontaneously threw a winning eBay bid on a 5.11 All Hazards Nitro. I'm wondering if it might be too small compared to the Rush 12 but from what I can gather they're relatively similar in size.

I'll do a video on it if anyone's interested. There doesn't seem to be much about on it YouTube wise. Opinions?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Might as well "Show&Tell"
We can read specs as much as we like, but sometimes its nice to see someone giving kit a workout
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

This is it:

I reckon that since my system is modular, this should do the job nicely. But I need to leave enough room to fit my EDC pouch and bottle. Also some food.