Bug out bag

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
JonoMathew

Bug out bag

Post by JonoMathew »

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent bug out bag which is fully waterproof. Current bag isn't waterproof which requires everything being sealed in little plastic bags, likes lighters, matches and tablets etc etc.

Thanks,

Jono
Deeps

Re: Bug out bag

Post by Deeps »

Don't know if you'll be able to get a hundred percent waterproof bag, at least not for a reasonable price but you can get dry bags to put in the rucksacks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Dryba ... s=dry+bags

Of course, other sites/companies are available, this is just an example. A lot of rucksacks have a cover or you can buy them separately.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:Don't know if you'll be able to get a hundred percent waterproof bag, at least not for a reasonable price but you can get dry bags to put in the rucksacks.

Of course, other sites/companies are available, this is just an example. A lot of rucksacks have a cover or you can buy them separately.

+1 to this, dry bags are the way to go, compartmentalised so all your kit doesn't get wet.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:
Deeps wrote:Don't know if you'll be able to get a hundred percent waterproof bag, at least not for a reasonable price but you can get dry bags to put in the rucksacks.

+1 to this, dry bags are the way to go, compartmentalised so all your kit doesn't get wet.
Yup, sleeping gear in one, spare clothes and dhoby gear in one, a miscellaneous pouch and pretty much a pouch for whatever you fancy. As an aside Jono, you can get some pretty heavy duty ones as well as the cheap ones, army surplus is a good way to go with these. You can also get big ones to put all the smaller ones in if you're really worried about the soggy stuff.
oldman

Post by oldman »

JonoMathew wrote:... Current bag isn't waterproof which requires everything being sealed in little plastic bags, likes lighters, matches and tablets etc.
I don't think I've ever had a waterproof bag, rain proof-ish perhaps, if you fall while crossing a stream then water will get into your bag no mater how good it is. Personally I use lots of bin bags and some tupperware. Speaking from experience, if you do fall into deep water you better be able to get out of the bag quickly.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
JBird

Post by JBird »

oldman wrote: I don't think I've ever had a waterproof bag, rain proof-ish perhaps, if you fall while crossing a stream then water will get into your bag no mater how good it is. Personally I use lots of bin bags and some tupperware. Speaking from experience, if you do fall into deep water you better be able to get out of the bag quickly.
Most of my bags are "rain proof".

I use a lot of Tupperware too, its good as not only is it sealed, its also stackable. Every inch of storage space can be used.

I find bin bags are useful too, not only for putting things in, but I always keep a few spare for "wet clothes" etc. Stops the rest of your stuff from getting wet. Also used one before as an emergency poncho!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

+1 for dry bags. Or plastic bags if budget it tight. It's always useful to have bags anyway.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
JonoMathew

Post by JonoMathew »

Thanks mate, I will order one now. Thats a great help. J
JonoMathew

Post by JonoMathew »

JBird wrote:
oldman wrote: I don't think I've ever had a waterproof bag, rain proof-ish perhaps, if you fall while crossing a stream then water will get into your bag no mater how good it is. Personally I use lots of bin bags and some tupperware. Speaking from experience, if you do fall into deep water you better be able to get out of the bag quickly.
Most of my bags are "rain proof".

I use a lot of Tupperware too, its good as not only is it sealed, its also stackable. Every inch of storage space can be used.

I find bin bags are useful too, not only for putting things in, but I always keep a few spare for "wet clothes" etc. Stops the rest of your stuff from getting wet. Also used one before as an emergency poncho!
The only trouble with too much tupperware is it might take up a bit too much room in bob. Thats why I like lots of little zip compartments on a bag for small items which can be sealed. Bin bags are a smashing idea.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

JonoMathew wrote:

Thanks mate, I will order one now. Thats a great help. J
Look in home bargains ours has 20l and 5l ones in...

How is your Bob coming along?

What are you packing in it,, don't get too carried away. Personally I'd start with a hotel bag aka a extended overnight bag with paperwork

Say your house burns down/ floods / suffers storm damage / or your taken ill and taken to hospital and kept in...

Now where are you going? The hills? Or a friend's / hotel/ sports hall rest centre/ hospital?

Now what are you going to do with that big knife / axe/ cross bow / tent / 30 ways of making fire? ?

Or would you rather have a few changes of clothes/ wash bag / phone charger / copy of insurance policy / your pajamas and any medication and change for the coffee machine? ;)

:)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine