Car Boot Sale Bargain Hunting

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Peppypreppy

Car Boot Sale Bargain Hunting

Post by Peppypreppy »

Hey all. I was reading an article about the kind of stuff preppers will jump for joy if they found cheap at a car Boot Sale. For example cast iron pans and pots..
Has anybody came across something at a boot sale or charity shop like this before??
---PeppyPreppy
Jamesey1981

Re: Car Boot Sale Bargain Hunting

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I've found some fun stuff at boot sales, wool blankets, a bit and brace, a Yugoslavian army mess kit, old files, useful books, Swiss Army knives and all sorts.

My last find was a cool 1950s barometer, had a stuck needle but was otherwise in good nick, pretty sure I've freed it up now and it cost me a fiver.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Only been to one car boot, I found it hard going to be honest, but I can see why some like them.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm generally looking for vintage consoles and computers to add to my collection, much cheaper buying from someone that's clearing out their loft than competing with people on eBay that know what they're worth!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I got an old coping saw. Proper wood handle. It's seen a lot of use and has a lovely patina but it's not damaged. 50p.

Also got a couple of sharpening stones for 10p each.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:Only been to one car boot, I found it hard going to be honest, but I can see why some like them.
I'm with you there Deeps. Charity shops are great though. The Brambling came home with a drill press, vice and workmate for a fiver a while ago from our local Charity shop.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Deeps wrote:Only been to one car boot, I found it hard going to be honest, but I can see why some like them.
I'm with you there Deeps. Charity shops are great though. The Brambling came home with a drill press, vice and workmate for a fiver a while ago from our local Charity shop.
I used to have a nose round the charity shops but I've got out the habit, not sure why although I don't go to the shops other than for food and drink so maybe that has a lot to do with it.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Car Boots are amazing for bargains. I picked up a Hi-Gear camping stove (still has the plastic on the case) not last week, week before for 3 quid.

Got a 30L rucksack for a fiver that'd been used once but looked as if it'd never been used.

I could go on, but car boots are definately worth a look around if you can drag yourself out of bed on a Sunday. The season is almost out now though, they normally run from April-Sept.

Charity shops are always worth popping into, i can't walk past one without it pulling me in. Maybe i'm too much of a stingey so and so..
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Car boots are out for me too.. Charity shops have supplied me with my best buys.

Cast iron skillets for the camp fire my best buy. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

+1 on the cast iron skillets. Best haul was a Primus No.5 stove. All it needed was a new burn spreader. An object of beauty as well as practical! Hand tools are another thing to look out for. Things like a carpenter's chest drill.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb