I made a target for arrows.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
CraighR

I made a target for arrows.

Post by CraighR »

Hey guys.

Not sure if this is of use to anyone but I tried something and it worked so I figured I would share.

I like bow shooting. I din't want to have to traipse down to the range so I decided to make my own Butt.
It was actuallylly remarkably easy. I went to BnQ and bought 2 lengths of decking, Cost me about £7 a length if I remember correctly.
I then bought a box of screws ( may have been a tad short) for £3 I think and that was all I spent.

I next did the old Facebook number and asked for any rubbish carpets. I got loads.
Some suggestions. DOn't get wet ones. They small BAD and they are rotten occasionally.

I then cut the boards down to about 600mm each. 8 of them so that I had 2 per side to make it wide enough.
I took some 38x38 timber that was in the garage and screwed the pieces together.
Next I cut the pieces of carpet so that they lay nicely on the 600mm planks. and then I cut and cut and cut until i had enough carpet that the pile was taller than the sides.

I then screwed 3 sides together and left the top open.
I piled all the carpet up until it was higher than i needed, I wanted to compress it.
Ok so I went a bit overboard and REALLY had to compress it. I used motorcycle ratchet straps and got the top pulled down tight.

Lastly I went nuts and put in as many wood screws as I could find.

I now have my very own archery butt.
If any one is interested I will post pics.
Otherwise I will leave it there.

Any comments leave below :-) Hope that helps someone.
Cheap as chips and catches my 45 pound bow with ease!!!
Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives.
jansman

Re: I made a target for arrows.

Post by jansman »

Have you asked one of us moderators for permission to link to your shop?

If not,then remove it please until you have contributed to the forum a bit longer.Thankyou.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm someone, so post pics please :)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

interesting topic I use a bag of compost for my target it's man shape roughley and i pin an airgun target on the chest area.

I can hit that at 45 paces with 95% of shots so I'm happy but you can never have enough practice can you?

I've also tried distance shooting 120/150 yards+ but its not usefull for hunting(yes I know you cant hunt here) but good for keeping peoples heads down.

silent and deadly
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

Hey Gamekeeper. Thats an awesome idea. Was it a plastic bag or hessian?
How long does it last?
My current target hasn't even shown signs of being used...well apart form the holes in the frame where I bloody missed :-)
Going to try and take smaller pics now of it for show. Be right back!

I know you can't hunt but surely you can practice for a time when hunting may be necessary? Like you can't hit anyone, but you can train to fight if you get attacked?
Either way I am currently still only at 30m with my 600x 600. Been training for a half marathon that I did yesterday so shooting has been on a back burner. Getting back into it this week :-)
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

OK so here we go again trying to import the pics.
I shot a few arrows to show penetration. Like I said I SERIOUSLY compressed this butt so the arrows only go in about an inch, this is what the pic of me
holding the arrows against each other are trying to show. The difference between the one I am touching and the other 2 is the depth of penetration.

The bow is a 45 lb draw if that helps. I don't know how the pics are going to come out as I compressed them. If they are garbage please tell me and I will redo it
Attachments
IMG_6897.jpg
IMG_6897.jpg (49.4 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6896.jpg
IMG_6896.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6895.jpg
IMG_6895.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6894.jpg
IMG_6894.jpg (15.46 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6893.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg (16.25 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6892.jpg
IMG_6892.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_6891.jpg
IMG_6891.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I'd be chuffed with that if i were you.

Definately food for thought, thanks for sharing.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

Thanks Toddie.

I am chuffed. It stops arrows DEAD and was bloody cheap!
Thanks man
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

CraighR wrote:Hey Gamekeeper. Thats an awesome idea. Was it a plastic bag or hessian?
How long does it last?
My current target hasn't even shown signs of being used...well apart form the holes in the frame where I bloody missed :-)

I know you can't hunt but surely you can practice for a time when hunting may be necessary? Like you can't hit anyone, but you can train to fight if you get attacked?
Either way I am currently still only at 30m with my 600x 600. Been training for a half marathon that I did yesterday so shooting has been on a back burner. Getting back into it this week :-)
I use one of the bags that my chicken feed come in, they cant be recycled(whole that is) so I use them first as a target including rifle and when there done they go into the things to burn box, the compost goes onto the veg garden as a top up

I would only use the bow to kill something like a deer/horse size if there was a real SHTF situation and I had already shot all the small stuff with the airgun/long rifle or if the situation was so bad that law and order had not only broken down but that there was no chance of it coming back and my life was in danger from the hords of Hell!
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

gamekeeper752 wrote:
CraighR wrote:Hey Gamekeeper. Thats an awesome idea. Was it a plastic bag or hessian?
How long does it last?

I use one of the bags that my chicken feed come in, they cant be recycled(whole that is) so I use them first as a target including rifle and when there done they go into the things to burn box, the compost goes onto the veg garden as a top up

I would only use the bow to kill something like a deer/horse size if there was a real SHTF situation and I had already shot all the small stuff with the airgun/long rifle or if the situation was so bad that law and order had not only broken down but that there was no chance of it coming back and my life was in danger from the hords of Hell!

I feel you. I assume that everyone on the group has the same mentality. The whole point of prepping is training to survive once the SHTF. That includes doing things that may be illegal during times of normality. For me as long as its still moral Im ok with. I feel self defense is still moral, and hunting is def ok.