Spare/emergency cash carrier

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
yorkshirewolf

Spare/emergency cash carrier

Post by yorkshirewolf »

A small prep I did a few weeks ago that's already come in handy!

A pack of five small waterproof aluminium containers from China via ebay, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Keyring-Ta ... xyBotTYAZK

With a crisp £20 rolled up and pretty much forgotten about - until I had some unexpected work on the van to pay for! we have a great mechanic next door to work and it was booked in for the following week, but as they had a bit of space they could get it done there and then, for less money than quoted, problem was, i was £20 short, but Yay! emergency cash used and helpful!

Small prep but big help! my wife now has one too, and thinking about it, they make a great gift, even if people just take out the cash and spend it, it's a novel and thoughtful way of giving cash as a present....
gamekeeper752

Re: Spare/emergency cash carrier

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Had one of these for ages now but I can only afford to put a fiver in mine :cry: , also I would be scared to put a £20 in there in case it fell off the set of keys or came unscrewed, but I agree they are brill.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got some of these but my key chain is already on the hefty side so I like to shove spare cash in a back pocket of my wallet. A mate uses one for carrying a flash drive which is another use for them.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I have one of these on my EDC keyring which is always attached to my person, not just slipped in a pocket (as opposed to my keys keyring which is in my handbag!). It just fits 2 x £20 rolled really tightly! The main purpose of the £40 is that on average a cab home from town is c.£35, so even if my handbag is lost/stolen and all my cash/cards/phone gone, in theory, this should still be attached to me and I can still get home, or most of the way anyway. It's always comforting to know it's there should I need it for any purpose, not just an emergency cab. I have a small torch on the same EDC keyring whose top keeps screwing off and the battery falling out, so I've got into the habit every day of checking the torch is screwed on and giving the two pill holders on the keyring a quick screw check too - they've never been loose. The other pill holder holds..um..pills, water purifying tabs, some strike anywhere matches and some cotton wool. It's actually amazing what these things can hold!

I gave one, including 1 x £20, to my nephew when he went to university - he'd used it within the first month after a drunken night out when his wallet had been "misplaced". But it does have to be attached to your person, say a belt loop, otherwise it goes the way of your wallet...!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I have one of these on my keys with a £20 in it and another clipped to the inside of my Maxpedition EDC pouch. Although I've never had cause to use either of them, it never hurts to have some emergency cash!
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I also have one of these attached to my keys, £20 is enough for a taxi home from town if I need it, and it's nice to have an extra few quid just in case.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I have mine in a little padded wallet the council were giving away for disposing of cigarette butts or chewing gum :D I have a tenner, a fiver and another ten in assorted coins. Just my 2p's worth but I've found it really useful to have an assortment of notes and coins. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On that note I'm looking for a new £1 coin tube since my old one won't take the new coins
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:On that note I'm looking for a new £1 coin tube since my old one won't take the new coins
I use my old one for 20p coins for car parks. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

gamekeeper752 wrote:Had one of these for ages now but I can only afford to put a fiver in mine :cry: , also I would be scared to put a £20 in there in case it fell off the set of keys or came unscrewed, but I agree they are brill.
Would it make sense to use some PTFE tape on the threads to stop them opening by accident? I guess locktite if your putting in loads of cash or are very worried?
Just a thought/suggestion.
Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives.