Fire Starting Kit and "Punky Wood."

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: Fire Starting Kit and "Punky Wood."

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Nothing wrong with a turboflame, I would agree with others and have another ordinary lighter that's easier on gas as well though, a bic or something similar weighs nothing anyway.
Turboflame style lighters are really handy sometimes, and they're great if you need to light hexamine, can be a struggle to get them going with a normal lighter and you need to scruff them up a bit, then you get bits all over your hands, and if it's really windy a turboflame is a nice thing to have too.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Gotta agree - Bic lighters. Or Clipper if you fancy something more showy.

On a side note, we were camping last week. Showed the boy (now 9) how to light a fire using birch bark tinder, feathersticks, and larger kindling. Got it going with one spark from a Bic. Proud dad moment.

Gave him my second-best Camper SAK when we got back, he showed he could be trusted with it.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

just chipping in, dunk swan vesta's in melted wax, leave to dry, also I have a antibacterial gel that's flammable. duel purpose, hand sanitization and fire lighting, hope this helps "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Mortblanc wrote:If you are an urban dweller and do not want the bulk of carrying cotton balls soaked in PJ then get a couple of alcahol wipes in the little packages to carry in your wallet. They also catch a spark or flame and burn long enough to get a good fire started.
ooh...good call!! I've used alcohol gel before but never thought to use the alcohol wipes. I've got a giant pack of prep wipes that I use for disinfecting things (like my phone) that have expired and I was about to chuck them out so instead I took one in the garden and voila! It burns for about 10 seconds then the alcohol is used up, but that's enough to get other kindling going. Awesome! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

just reading thread this and thought I'd pop down to the bike shop to see if they have any old inner tubes from repairs, i know it costs them ££'s to dump them so they're bound to just give them away right ??.

I too remember the inner tube thing from combat survival back in the 80's

what about puncture repair kits?, they've got rubber patches in and a vulcanised rubber glue- that'd probably burn

just found a large stash of elastic bands - im turning into a pyromaniac...

wellies, marigolds, anything with rubber in it, must be loads of stuff you could use as an urban survivor, no bike shops in the bush...

oh dear sounding like a fetish thing, off for a lie down.