City EDC Supplementary Tin

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: City EDC Supplementary Tin

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Satnav in the hired car didn't like the rural roads of Norfolk, so as I had the front passenger seat, I needed to use the atlas
The roads are like that here to keep the Townies confuzzled ;)

Did you remember to pay your Liberation Charge when you left (Escaped) ?
If not, you're in luck as I'm authorised to collect it..... If you pay up within 28 days we won't have to send Erk round*. Its only five groats and we will accept payment in turnips :lol:

* Erk doesn't like you..But thats normal, Erk doesn't like anyone......... Not even Erk :?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

:D That's very NFN of Erik :mrgreen:

Ghostly turnips are even now being lobbed your way :tinfoil
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Turnips? You must be joking mate!.
What with the great turnip blight of 2016, the turnip fetish fayre in Newport, and the lesser spotted turnip weevil the price has gone mental. Can he pay in icebege lettuce instead? They are really good, and you can only see 10% of what you get.... :lol:

I'll get my coat....
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: :D That's very NFN of Erik :mrgreen:

Ghostly turnips are even now being lobbed your way :tinfoil
In the interest of being as PC as possible we had the devil's own job of finding suitable Muscle as nearly all have an '-ism' of some kind. However we lucked out with Erk as he's an equal opportunity hater (inset Trump joke here ;) )
sniper 55 wrote:Turnips? You must be joking mate!.
What with the great turnip blight of 2016, the turnip fetish fayre in Newport, and the lesser spotted turnip weevil the price has gone mental. Can he pay in icebege lettuce instead? They are really good, and you can only see 10% of what you get.... :lol:

I'll get my coat....
:lol: :lol:

BOT:
Most of my pocket kits are in soft zip-up cases (I use those clear pencil cases).
What benefit do you gain from using a tin??
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
BOT:
Most of my pocket kits are in soft zip-up cases (I use those clear pencil cases).
Honest answer is personal preference, I've not really thought about using anything else. Although the main advantage of the tin is the magnets work better with it and makes it easier for securing everything to stop the rattle.

I use pouches for other things, I just find the tin is better for maintaining the items inside as my bag gets regular abuse!

I'll consider trying a case though. Thanks.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ChefSimon wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
BOT:
Honest answer is personal preference, I've not really thought about using anything else. Although the main advantage of the tin is the magnets work better with it and makes it easier for securing everything to stop the rattle.

I use pouches for other things, I just find the tin is better for maintaining the items inside as my bag gets regular abuse!

I'll consider trying a case though. Thanks.
I suppose some people go with a tin because thats what 'everyone' uses (Lofty's PSK style) and I know that a metal container could be used for boiling/heating water. Then I wonder how many folks have tried to use a tobacco or Altoid tin on a fire (I have.... And I'm not planning on doing it again). At least the Aircrew survival kit has spring clips to turn the tin into a small billy.

Now, as protection for the contents, that I can understand. I like your little Otterbox.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It is rather neat.I like the idea. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Interesting setup.

A couple of thoughts.

The Immodium is something I carry as well. If you are having to keep on the move it can save a lot of hassle. The "Instant" version is much flatter and would take up less space. It also usually acts in 30 - 30 mins rather than 1 - 2hours.

I agree a city tin is different. That said having seen the pictures of those post 9/11 and other more recent events a space blanket to give a some insulation might stay on my list. A compass as well, always remember my Dad commenting one night he got "turned around" when travelling and only realised when he saw Polaris. Been lost in London on holiday and not much better. I carry a "cluster of a AAA powered LED light and mini compass in my pocket.

Any reason for the larger range of tools? How much time would you spend fixing rather than just getting moving?

Appin
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Hi Appin,

I suffer with Diverticulitis so I use the Imodium with comfort when needed as it stops the cramps.

I carry a small first aid kit with me in my bag when commuting which has a space blanket. Compass I have on my phone & where I live has many natural landmarks so I wouldn’t need a compass compared to being in the country when it’s useful to keep a bearing. (I’m stilll a country lad at heart!)

On my belt I always have a torch, small seatbelt cutter & my Gerber multitool. When I’m not at work I have my phone which has a torch built in. (Again if I’m going into the countryside I carry a real torch)

As for the tools, I have a small folding bike I use, always handy for that. Also when at work sometimes my job entails having to take devices apart on the fly. To save me having to run back to my office I pull that out my pocket and get to work.

(It’s also why I carry the phone sim adaptors, SD adaptor & cable) both for SHTF situation where I need to ‘acquire’ a new phone if mine was damaged/charge mine on the fly etc. Or when at work to get information from one device to another or test another workers phone with my sim.

Being the type of chap I am, if ever I’m not at work I always carry a very minor BOB with me to allow for a terrorist situation.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!