Waterproofed Gear That Smells

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
FlashPan

Waterproofed Gear That Smells

Post by FlashPan »

Hello all,

Something I never though to ask before.

I have a number of pieces of gear that is to varying degrees waterproofed. eg: plce webbing set, pvc (I think) lined tent outer fly sheet and so forth.

Now this gear I normally keep stowed away in air tight/original packaging when possible. The plce webbing for instance, is assembled but stored in an old hard shell suit case. (just for storage purposes).

The tent outer sheet I bought for French Army 2 man pup is made of nylon or whatever (no fabric) and was new and never opened. Taking it out of the packet I noticed a sweet sickly smell. This then made me think of the plce gear as I open that every year or so and kinda the same smell (it never smelled before).

With the plce gear I thought it was the canvas/fabric that caused the odour and as no new air was circulating it was just old air or smell generated after temps would rise/fall throughout the seasons.

Now it makes me think is it the waterproofing causing the smell? Should I be worried? Should I store my gear differently?

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
jansman

Re: Waterproofed Gear That Smells

Post by jansman »

Don't worry.It all smells like that.Don't know why.I just bought a cracking waterproofed Belgian surplus rucksack for my pike fishing gear.It smells just like you describe.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

The odour is coming from the waterproofing.

Generally, the sickly odour is down to the process that was used to produce the coating i.e. solvents used etc. Even though the majority of these are removed at the end of the process you will still have very minute amounts hanging about which generally over time can be released. I just picked up a Nylon 66 backpack and it stinks to high heaven of solvents...most of these things are produced so quickly and then sealed-airtight giving very little time for the plastics to lose some of these VOCS (its also where that 'new car smell' comes from when you buy a new car).

Nothing to worry about as the levels are so low.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I unpacked a tent I haven't unpacked for a couple of years and it had 'that' smell. I daresay if you packed a few mothballs with it would smell of mothballs, I put the tent up for a few nights to test it was still up to scratch and I've hung it in the garage for a couple of weeks before repacking it. No doubt if its not out the bag for a year it will smell 'fusty' again. Not much help I guess but you're not alone.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Thanks for the clarification.

I was mainly thinking that the waterproofness was degrading badly or something :)

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?