EDC lighter.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Drcamburn

EDC lighter.

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
jansman

Re: EDC lighter.

Post by jansman »

Cheapo market 10 for a quid jobs.Zippos are great,but they have to be 'managed',as the fuel lasts about three days.In Winter I have a Zippo on me when at home as I am lighting the stoves regularly. I still have a cheapo on me though.They work.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Clipper given the choice, I tend to pick either blaze orange or vile yellow so I can find them when I drop them.

I'm also lucky that the local Yoof don't know that they're refillable or that you can replace the 'flints' :roll:, this means I can forage one or two a month on my daily commute

I've had Zippos (and their clones), cheapo crystal bics, matches (both book and box, safety and strike anywhere), turbo/crack-torches and pretty much everything else thats a portable flame..... Still keep coming back to the Clipper (AKA the Mora of the lighter world)

BTW the Clipper also comes in a mini- version should you want to go compact

The one thing that Clippers (or any lighter for that matter) don't do so well is lighting meths burners, matches are better for pointing down or poking into holes...... But I just dip something in the meths and light that first
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I carry a zippo, but I have a little fire stash type lighter on my keys, and Poundland refillable electronic lighters in various kits.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPreppers

Post by DrPreppers »

It's true the good old clipper takes some beating, however a "Turboflame ranger wind resistant lighter" ( a twin jet burner ) is now my EDC as it even works upside down without burning me!
So far I have only found them on ebay and they are about £9.00, but they are extrememy vesatile and have a big gas tank.
Evasion is an art form, a true artist may follow his pursuers.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Actually I'm in the market for a new lighter, my turbo thing died, and while the good old bic type thing works I like something I can solder with at a pinch. I did buy one off ebay but the thing I bought was HUGE about 8 inches long, works a treat but too big for edc so I'm going to have to start again.
And yes next time I'll read the description PROPERLY Dohh! :oops:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I collected Zippos when I smoked so have over 300 :shock:

Poundland lighters in all my bags and stores and a peanut lighter on my keyring.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Drcamburn wrote:I have a turboflame but I hate that it doesn't just work with normal gas. I feel in a survival situation it would just become a large disposable, without the internet to bring me new gas. Whereas normal lighter gas can come from several shops per town.

Plus mine seems to be very temperamental. Maybe I just have a dodgy one but half the time it doesn't work properly when lighting, or it's a pain to refill. I don't really feel like o can rely on it to just work when I need it too.

Maybe I'll get a new one when I go to the city next and see if it's an improvement.

I've got cheap lighters everywhere too, although mine are all Amazon specials.
I didn't know turbo lighters were supposed to use special gas. What sort should I be using? I just filled the big one a got with normal gas and it worked.