portable filter

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
unsure

portable filter

Post by unsure »

hello , i`m looking for a small all in one water filter .like these .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lixada-Pure-E ... rkt%3D1%26

the problem i have is these seem to be made in china , i dont want to find out when i need it the most that they are useless ,
can any one recommend any were in the uk that has then , i`d rather not use ebay .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jamesey1981

Re: portable filter

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The katadyn hiker pro should suit you, it's double the price, and probably still made in China, it is tried and trusted though and I can say that it does put out nice tasting water.

Amazon link for illustrative purposes here, they're available all over the place though Katadyn Hiker Pro 8018280 Water Filter ... yzbVRSWK5J

The katadyn won't remove viruses, few filters will, and if you're hiking in the uk you'll probably be fine as there aren't many water borne viruses here, but for a bug out bag or something then add some chlorine dioxide tablets.
Some filters can handle viruses, one is the MSR sweetwater MSR SweetWater Purifier System Water Fi ... yzbSTP0J69
It uses filters and then chemicals to kill the viruses after the water has been filtered.
Sawyer also make a filter that goes down to 0.02 micron which will take out viruses as well.

I personally use a sawyer mini as it's lighter than both and then treat with chlorine dioxide, but if you don't mind the extra weight the ones with the pump are a lot more convenient.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The Water to Go bottle claims it removes at least some viruses:

Norwalk
Hepatitis A
Tota Virus
Adenoviruses
Enteroviruses
Reoviruses

https://www.watertogo.eu/filter-facts/
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

unsure wrote:hello , i`m looking for a small all in one water filter .like these .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lixada-Pure-E ... rkt%3D1%26

the problem i have is these seem to be made in china , i dont want to find out when i need it the most that they are useless ,
can any one recommend any were in the uk that has then , i`d rather not use ebay .

I've got one errrr it lives in a box marked "better than nowt if all else fails"

Look into the Sawyer mini

https://sawyer.com/products/type/water-filtration/

Can use as a drinking straw

Bottle filter

Gravity filter
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12728&start=20#p140568
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

after reading through some of the back posts , ive ordered the sawyer mini .
seeing as the country seems to be littered with pop bottles it seemed a no brainer . after andy`s picture ,it seemed logical . :oops:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Poundland also have bladders that fit the sawyer mini in their picnic section, two for a quid, I posted a picture of them when I found them, so grab a couple of those to use as spares and you're all good.

Only thing to keep an eye on when using a sawyer, if the bladder fails it sometimes does it where the hard plastic part (the bit that screws to the filter body) joins to the soft plastic part of the bladder so it can drip dirty water into your container, never happened to me but I know of it happening so just keep an eye on that seal.
Best thing to do is be gentle when you're squeezing the water through, roll the bladder down like a toothpaste tube rather than mash it like you're wringing out a dishcloth and the bladders last a lot longer.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
unsure

Post by unsure »

ebay bargain today as well .

life saver bottles 20.00 pound each delivered , the 4000 ones .
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

unsure wrote:ebay bargain today as well .

life saver bottles 20.00 pound each delivered , the 4000 ones .

Careful on those, the old ones were found not to work.... :?

I know; I have 2 of them :cry:

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13170&hilit=lifesaver
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i`ll check the numbers when they arrive and do what needs to be done with them .

did i read some were that it was the 6000`s that were effected.