Micro Carry - just a bit of fun

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dazthechippy

Micro Carry - just a bit of fun

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi Folks,

Just thinking about things that we micro carry, by that i mean small pocket sized things, maybe dotted around the house that you should (or maybe have) put in a bag/whatever or maybe you have a list and acquire them when the opportunity arises, you might think "oh that'd be handy"

Things like:

lipsalve, zippo lighter, sewing kit, nail clippers, pocket compass, plasters, tiny torch, keyring holder for your meds....by the time they're all in one place you'd need a dedicated bag for them!

etc, etc

So, whats on your list ?
peejay

Re: Micro Carry - just a bit of fun

Post by peejay »

TheUrbanPrepper has an interesting vid of cramming lots of small tools etc. into an altoids tin at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsZ1lgP3jg which I found quite interesting. Interesting enough to buy a bunch of tiny magnets off ebay to play with my own version! :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:TheUrbanPrepper has an interesting vid of cramming lots of small tools etc. into an altoids tin at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsZ1lgP3jg which I found quite interesting. Interesting enough to buy a bunch of tiny magnets off ebay to play with my own version! :)
There are a few fans of the altoid tins on here too. Personally, I find it a bit hard to justify (to myself) carrying a 'special tin' for things I might need to break out in public. I've pulled out a plaster from my wallet a couple of times and been asked why I have a plaster in my wallet (a plastic poke with a few plus wipes) and its relatively easy to write it off using the incident as an example but it would be 'weirder' having a rummage round a wee tin and making excuses why I have matches and God knows what. A wallet is like a tactical rucksack on the micro kit front, lots of wee slots and pockets compared to one big compartment. Ironically, I'm the opposite with rucksacks, I don't do tactical bags, far too conspicious for me. :D

Just my view of course.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Leatherman..PS4 squirt

Mrs Andy's brother was taking the piss in the pub at the weekend about the mini fak on the pram.... Trying to be clever when your neice or nephew falls and draws blood how do you plan on dealing with them ? Knowing he couldn't deal with his own mother who cut herself in the garden he Soon shut up with the input from a few mother's saying it was a really good idea.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I suspect women are rather less likely to cause a raised eyebrow when they produce a plaster from their handbag or purse. Women, particularly those in charge of small children, carry EVERYTHING in their handbags. However, the SAK does seem to cause concern (which I suspect it wouldn't if I was a bloke) until I explain about the corkscrew upon which people laugh and tell me it's a good idea! Women and wine eh???

Back on topic...

I too am very fond of the UrbanPrepper but less fond of Altoids tins. I did, however, take great delight in his "Prepper Bulge" video because I have too a micro EDC on a keyring (the keys are on a separate key ring in my hand bag) which is always attached to my person as handbags get left at tables or get nicked. It comprises: waterproof aluminium pill case (containing strike anywhere matches, cotton wool, water purification tabs, paracetamol and Immodium), Mini SAK, Victorinox collapsable nail clippers, Olight mini torch (though the end keeps screwing itself off which is annoying), brass flint/steel, aluminium whistle, and another aluminium pill case containing 2 x £20. There is also on the key chain a belt clasp and a pocket clasp which are used to "hang" the mini EDC in my pocket (which is used depends on the trousers warn) so that it produce less of a "bulge" in the pocket... I could make it smaller by eliminating the brass flint/steel as firestarting is duplicated in the first pill container, and the nail clippers, but I just really, really like the Victorinox clippers! Each item has one or more split ring attaching it to the key ring to adjust its length of hang so that it all hangs as compactly a possible. The next problem to solve is jangling as I walk...

As they say a picture saves a lot of writing...

Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I have an Olite e3 eos mono (aaa) on my car keys, a small pry bar thingy on my house keys, a small multitool and para cord in a back pocket thats always witn me even if I'm in a suit. Plus other bits in different pockets.
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

I carry a torch micro SAK and USB on my keys. A small first aid kit in my bag and am currently putting together a small organiser pouch containing so far pen, pencil, dust mask, power bar for charging my phone, small folding non locking knife. Any suggestions on what else i should carry would be most welcome. Also i work in london right between westminster bridge and borough market, the site of recent terror attacks.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DarkArcher777 wrote:I carry a torch micro SAK and USB on my keys. A small first aid kit in my bag and am currently putting together a small organiser pouch containing so far pen, pencil, dust mask, power bar for charging my phone, small folding non locking knife. Any suggestions on what else i should carry would be most welcome. Also i work in london right between westminster bridge and borough market, the site of recent terror attacks.
A small packet of tissues is handy and depending on what phone you have you can get spare batteries for some. Instead of a dust mask maybe a bandana which you can use as a dust mask but also other used. I've split my old wallet into 2 now, a 'normal' wallet and one for the 'zombie times'. :tinfoil I've found it easier than carrying one wallet that you could beat a walrus to death with. I try and keep my keychain to a reasonable level too.

Have a look at some of the true utility stuff, I use some of their stuff and I've had no problems.

http://www.trueutility-store.com/ although a good rummage around the usual internet purveyors will give you other options.
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

Deeps wrote:
DarkArcher777 wrote:I carry a torch micro SAK and USB on my keys. A small first aid kit in my bag and am currently putting together a small organiser pouch containing so far pen, pencil, dust mask, power bar for charging my phone, small folding non locking knife. Any suggestions on what else i should carry would be most welcome. Also i work in london right between westminster bridge and borough market, the site of recent terror attacks.

A small packet of tissues is handy and depending on what phone you have you can get spare batteries for some. Instead of a dust mask maybe a bandana which you can use as a dust mask but also other used. I've split my old wallet into 2 now, a 'normal' wallet and one for the 'zombie times'. :tinfoil I've found it easier than carrying one wallet that you could beat a walrus to death with. I try and keep my keychain to a reasonable level too.

Have a look at some of the true utility stuff, I use some of their stuff and I've had no problems.

http://www.trueutility-store.com/ although a good rummage around the usual internet purveyors will give you other options.
You have made some very good points there Deeps. I've seen the true utility stuff before but never looked in to it, i will do now though. I actually lost my wallet in krakow caught in the middle of a gay / lesbian bar brawl, seriously dont ask hahaha so am in the market for a new one, any reccomendations for a sturdy one. I'm constanly assessing the zombie threat level. Have you seen people glued to their smartphones? It's getting worse.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DarkArcher777 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

You have made some very good points there Deeps. I've seen the true utility stuff before but never looked in to it, i will do now though. I actually lost my wallet in krakow caught in the middle of a gay / lesbian bar brawl, seriously dont ask hahaha so am in the market for a new one, any reccomendations for a sturdy one. I'm constanly assessing the zombie threat level. Have you seen people glued to their smartphones? It's getting worse.
Sounds like a hell of a night. :lol: One of the advantages of carrying my second wallet is I now keep one card in there so if I end up in a gay bar fracas and lose my wallet I'll be fine, well it won't be a total catastrophe. I also carry my 'cash stash' now in my other wallet too, I like to keep a spare 50 (or less if its been dipped in to) on me when I'm out and about, its one of the handiest things in my wallet, you're not always cash point adjacent. Can't offer any practical advice on which wallets, my 'normal' one is just a plain leather job, my 'zombie' one is a cheap canvas one I took a punt on on Amazon, cost less than a fiver delivered so not a huge gamble, have a look around and see what catches your eye.