Micro Carry - just a bit of fun

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Re: Micro Carry - just a bit of fun

Post by dangerman »

I've been tempted to buy a micro socket set. Maybe not as micro as TheUrbanPreppers one, but something with a small ratchet and some common sized sockets. That would be super handy as a compliment to my SAK and paratool that's in my EDC bag.

The problem is I can't seem to find one micro enough. Not for sensible EDC. But I'd like one in my GoBag/GHB.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I often think that if an ' event' occurred, there would be a 99.999% chance that you would be nowhere near your well thought out SHTF kit.It would be what you had on your person and in your brain.

Deeps has the idea with his wallet.I do something similar.As well as cash and cards,my wallet has a ' credit card' knife.They are no longer available- I will say no more! Also a Victorinox credit card tool,; very useful.Little baggie with tinder.Plasters ( like Deeps),as everywhere I work ,the FAK are crap.Experienced butchers tend to get nicks rather than full on lacerations and you need plasters that stick. That fits nicely into the right pocket of my BDU trousers,which I wear for work.oh yes,I have a few water purification tablets in there, 10 I think.

Then there are my keys,car,house and such.All on a carabiner with a paracord lanyard.I sling em round my neck most of the time under my shirt so not to lose them!Failing that they go in the left pocket.Also on that carabiner is a True Utility cash holder with a spare £20 in it.Also a knock off LED photon,and a 'Utili- Key' tool thingy.Oh yes and a small NATO firesteel.

My Grandad bought me my first penknife,a Barlow,when I was 8.He said a boy and a man should carry " A shilling,a shutknife and a piece of string." Wise man.I always have my SAK Hunter with me ( unlikely to get me arrested at my age) and a fag lighter in the left leg pocket.I am left handed.In there too is a space blanket and thin poncho.Right hand leg pocket is my smartphone and a large handkerchief - so useful for so many things.

That's it.As I do a lot of van delivery between knife work,there is always water in the van and I can deal with ' situations' without humping a damned great bag.It may seem a lot but it weighs little and I can do a lot with so little.Mind you,I do wear braces! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dangerman wrote:I've been tempted to buy a micro socket set. Maybe not as micro as TheUrbanPreppers one, but something with a small ratchet and some common sized sockets. That would be super handy as a compliment to my SAK and paratool that's in my EDC bag.

The problem is I can't seem to find one micro enough. Not for sensible EDC. But I'd like one in my GoBag/GHB.
You start risking falling into the 'going prepared' category if you have too many tools, I can rationalise most of the stuff I carry by admitting I'm a prepper (to the Police) but its mostly charging stuff/batteries, some meds, spare boot laces and whatnot, carrying tools for EDC might be hard to make excuses for. If you have them in a rucksack full of survival stuff and you can say "I'm going from A to B and I want to be able to get from B back to A and I'm a bit of a weirdo" then you might be fine but for a night out it might be tricky. Just my take of course, I've tried to keep my EDC legal and worse case justifiable, even if just as a fruitloop prepper. I'm fine with people finding out I'm a bit nutty if they have to but I don't want to spend a night in the clink while it all gets straightened out. Maybe being a bit dramatic there but its a bit of a fear of mine.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:I often think that if an ' event' occurred, there would be a 99.999% chance that you would be nowhere near your well thought out SHTF kit.It would be what you had on your person and in your brain.

Deeps has the idea with his wallet.I do something similar.As well as cash and cards,my wallet has a ' credit card' knife.They are no longer available- I will say no more! Also a Victorinox credit card tool,; very useful.Little baggie with tinder.Plasters ( like Deeps),as everywhere I work ,the FAK are crap.Experienced butchers tend to get nicks rather than full on lacerations and you need plasters that stick. That fits nicely into the right pocket of my BDU trousers,which I wear for work.oh yes,I have a few water purification tablets in there, 10 I think.

Then there are my keys,car,house and such.All on a carabiner with a paracord lanyard.I sling em round my neck most of the time under my shirt so not to lose them!Failing that they go in the left pocket.Also on that carabiner is a True Utility cash holder with a spare £20 in it.Also a knock off LED photon,and a 'Utili- Key' tool thingy.Oh yes and a small NATO firesteel.

My Grandad bought me my first penknife,a Barlow,when I was 8.He said a boy and a man should carry " A shilling,a shutknife and a piece of string." Wise man.I always have my SAK Hunter with me ( unlikely to get me arrested at my age) and a fag lighter in the left leg pocket.I am left handed.In there too is a space blanket and thin poncho.Right hand leg pocket is my smartphone and a large handkerchief - so useful for so many things.

That's it.As I do a lot of van delivery between knife work,there is always water in the van and I can deal with ' situations' without humping a damned great bag.It may seem a lot but it weighs little and I can do a lot with so little.Mind you,I do wear braces! :lol:
Aye, its about working out what works for you, I don't carry a foil blanket or festival poncho as part of my EDC because I don't have the space although they are both excellent shouts and I keep them in my GHB and FAK's. The main reason I don't is I'm so 'street' I wear jeans when I'm treading my homeboy turf instead of cargo breeks. If I wore breeks with the side pockets, they would be bulging like my jacket pockets. :oops:
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Deeps, I concur heartily. I just saw one of those Gaitor sockets with a ratchet on Amazon for a tenner. Might grab it and stick it into the big bag since it's small and useful for the motoring purposes. I don't have many skills, but what skills I do have a mechanical rather than 'handy' around the house.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I remember seeing amini kit years ago in an old fountain pen, there was a scalpel blade, a birthday candle with some fine wire wound around it, a few matches, and a few other things I can't remember now.
Natty idea though.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

sniper 55 wrote:I remember seeing amini kit years ago in an old fountain pen, there was a scalpel blade, a birthday candle with some fine wire wound around it, a few matches, and a few other things I can't remember now.
Natty idea though.
Ooh ooh! I made one of those using my grandfathers old Parker fountain pen when I was about 8! Fat little pen it was, held a lot once you'd taken all the gubbins out. Yes, if I recall there was a blade, birthday candle with wire, cut down matches - strike anywhere as they all were then, painted with nail varnish. A magnetised needle with thread (use as a compass or a sewing kit), safety pins (doubles as fish hooks with the thread). I think there might have been a sugar cube wedged in there too. And some cotton wool for tinder. Presumably I got the idea from some book. I'd totally forgotten all about it! It was the birthday candle and wire that reminded me :D Cripes I've been at this game a long time! :shock:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Saw this on another Forum.

From Kickstarter if it gets funded. It is a fire-steel (Ferro rod) which fits in the toothpick part of your Swiss Army Knife.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... f=activity
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Saw this on another Forum.

From Kickstarter if it gets funded. It is a fire-steel (Ferro rod) which fits in the toothpick part of your Swiss Army Knife.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... f=activity
That's a great idea. Funnily enough, I lost my SAK tweezers and ordered a 6 pack replacement (6 quid for 6 as opposed to about 3 quid for 1) and they don't fit. :evil: Soooo, I've still got a spare hole to fill ( :o fnarr fnarr). I'd definitely get a ferro rod for the SAK's.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:I remember seeing amini kit years ago in an old fountain pen, there was a scalpel blade, a birthday candle with some fine wire wound around it, a few matches, and a few other things I can't remember now.
Natty idea though.
Ooh ooh! I made one of those using my grandfathers old Parker fountain pen when I was about 8! Fat little pen it was, held a lot once you'd taken all the gubbins out. Yes, if I recall there was a blade, birthday candle with wire, cut down matches - strike anywhere as they all were then, painted with nail varnish. A magnetised needle with thread (use as a compass or a sewing kit), safety pins (doubles as fish hooks with the thread). I think there might have been a sugar cube wedged in there too. And some cotton wool for tinder. Presumably I got the idea from some book. I'd totally forgotten all about it! It was the birthday candle and wire that reminded me :D Cripes I've been at this game a long time! :shock:

Me too :)