Advice Needed - Air Rifle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: Advice Needed - Air Rifle

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Deeps wrote:
Are you sure ? My mate has his SGC and had to apply, at least he was under the impression that he did. I know you can 'link' your air gun certificate to an existing SGC/FAC.
Not 100% since it doesnt apply to me, but I've just gone and looked. https://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/airgu ... questions/
Section 6 on the link.
Doesn't apply to you Bugout66, since you don't already have it as I suspected, might apply to your mate though Deeps.

That one was from before the law came out, but this link http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/ ... licensing/ says the same, as long as you had the licence before 31st of December 2016 you're fine until renewal unless you want to buy another airgun.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Are you sure ? My mate has his SGC and had to apply, at least he was under the impression that he did. I know you can 'link' your air gun certificate to an existing SGC/FAC.
Not 100% since it doesnt apply to me, but I've just gone and looked. https://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/airgu ... questions/
Section 6 on the link.
Doesn't apply to you Bugout66, since you don't already have it as I suspected, might apply to your mate though Deeps.

That one was from before the law came out, but this link http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/ ... licensing/ says the same, as long as you had the licence before 31st of December 2016 you're fine until renewal unless you want to buy another airgun.
Cheers for looking mate, its all done now though. He did say he only had to pay a fiver for his, I think its about 70 quid for me. I guess the difference is he's already on the system so less admin.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

No worries, if I give out info and there's a chance I might be wrong then I go and check, I don't like giving out wrong info when it comes to the law, wouldn't want someone getting in trouble because I've made a mistake.

As for your mate, he would have had to get a licence for the airgun eventually so might as well do it now as later, at least now he'll have it and be able to take advantage of any bargains that come up, I would imagine there's a fair few people getting rid of airguns north of the border to save the hassle so might be some reasonable kit going cheap.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:No worries, if I give out info and there's a chance I might be wrong then I go and check, I don't like giving out wrong info when it comes to the law, wouldn't want someone getting in trouble because I've made a mistake.

As for your mate, he would have had to get a licence for the airgun eventually so might as well do it now as later, at least now he'll have it and be able to take advantage of any bargains that come up, I would imagine there's a fair few people getting rid of airguns north of the border to save the hassle so might be some reasonable kit going cheap.
Aye, I've heard of guns getting sold cheap. Not much use to me as I'm not a collector but I guess there have been some bargains.
BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

Just wanted to round this out.

You CAN buy a realistic imitation firearm if you are a member of an air soft club. Google "ukara".

What I'm gonna find out next is if being a member of a shooting / target club also qualifies you.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BugOut66 wrote:Just wanted to round this out.

You CAN buy a realistic imitation firearm if you are a member of an air soft club. Google "ukara".

What I'm gonna find out next is if being a member of a shooting / target club also qualifies you.
It all seems like a lot of effort for an expensive 'toy' mate, each to their own though.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Nope but if you're a film maker/ theater type person you can.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Plymtom wrote:

Nope but if you're a film maker/ theater type person you can.
I think Plymtom is right here, target shooters don't need RIFs, you can use a normal airgun.

If you can find a practical pistol club that would probably work, just bear in mind that with every firearms club I've ever heard of, (including airsoft) they usually want you to be a member for a six month probationary period where you've attended a certain number of times (it's six times for my club, so at least once a month for six months) before they're happy to sign anything saying you're a member.

To be honest if you're going to go to all this trouble then you might as well go for your firearms licence and get one of the Taurus long barrelled revolvers like this:
or a GSG 1911 long barrelled pistol in .22lr like this:

In the rest of the UK it might be worth joining the club to get that revolver without needing a licence, but in Scotland since you need a licence for an airgun you might just as well go for an actual firearm unless you're planning on using it in a suburban back garden.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jamesey: I'm tempted to write a long post about my feelings on the 24/12 Law and how aesthetically pleasing guns that comply with it are :x :x :x :x :x :x
However that would get us so far Off-Topic that we'd need a map and a couple of Sherpas to get back ;)

While I understand the reasoning behind our northern neighbours licensing airguns, I still think its stupid and poorly thought out..... The kind of people that dick about with airguns are the type who don't bother about stuff like licenses, after all its the same mind-set to not bother with petty things like car insurance, tax, MOT, driving licenses, drink/drug driving etc and all of those have been enforceable for years.[/rant]

Bugout: No reason not to have something just because you want it....... After all, I've got an axe or ten :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Jamesey: I'm tempted to write a long post about my feelings on the 24/12 Law and how aesthetically pleasing guns that comply with it are :x :x :x :x :x :x
However that would get us so far Off-Topic that we'd need a map and a couple of Sherpas to get back ;)

While I understand the reasoning behind our northern neighbours licensing airguns, I still think its stupid and poorly thought out..... The kind of people that dick about with airguns are the type who don't bother about stuff like licenses, after all its the same mind-set to not bother with petty things like car insurance, tax, MOT, driving licenses, drink/drug driving etc and all of those have been enforceable for years.[/rant]

Bugout: No reason not to have something just because you want it....... After all, I've got an axe or ten :oops:
Could you explain it to me then ?

We had a tragic incident up here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -life.html) a whiley back but we have more people getting killed by other means by a country mile. It was a good old fashioned knee jerk and as you say, pretty pointless as it won't stop people getting their hands on an air gun if they want one, especially with our neighbours allowing them. There are other more lethal options like crossbows which are still legal and it wouldn't surprise me if yoofs ended up going down this route. I'm not particularly 'gunny' but this strikes me as a particularly ill thought out approach.