Advice Needed - Air Rifle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
FlashPan

Advice Needed - Air Rifle

Post by FlashPan »

Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea of sourcing an air rifle for a while now. I used a friends of mine donkeys years ago when we were kids, but since then outside of the fun fair not touched anything like this.

Am not looking to join a club or start shooting every weekend etc. My main focus would be as an aid to hunt for small game (rabbits, squirrels etc) if the need occurs in a SHTF. Mostly likely this rifle will never get used or very little use so most of it's time it will be in storage.

I've been reading plenty, looking at plenty of shops, reviews etc and am a bit overwhelmed as those of you in the know are aware sooo many brands and types are out there. (am also now aware about gun laws and FAC)

I've think I have figured out a couple that could fit the bill and would like further advice please?

I first thought of my needs and they are:

Weight (would be part of my bug out bag/system)
Size
Scope (my long distance eyesight is a bit fuzzy)
Accessories/spare parts availability
Does not need a lot of servicing/maintenance
Pellets
Price

Using the website Pellpax as a sort of price and spec guide I found these to be interesting:

Remington Tyrant .22
http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-ri ... t-22/13319

Pro:
Easy to load/break the barrel
Sturdy construction
Upper high end power

Con:
Only seems to like own brand pellets

Remington Express Compact .22
http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-ri ... ct-22/7111

Pro:
Size
Weight
Can use other pellet types
Price

Con:
Wood stock (not sure how well that will last over time/become loose from barrel?)
Slightly less high end power

What do you chaps think?

I also need to factor into my cost a suitable bag, oil?, pellets, things like O rings, spare springs? tools etc

I know to stay away from gas/pcp as that relies on gas canisters and more moving parts and I know I've gone for a lower price range here but I cannot really go over £200 when factoring in the other bits/accessories.

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
Jamesey1981

Re: Advice Needed - Air Rifle

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Have a look at the BSA Lightning, the synthetic stock version is about half the weight of my air rifle, new I think it's a little over budget, but second hand will be affordable. Shoots lovely, very accurate for a break barrel and as it's a BSA very well made too. It can use any brand of pellet (I recommend air arms diabolo field for everything)

As for a scope, have a look at Hawke if the one you buy doesn't come with one, good quality budget scopes. If you buy second hand it'll likely have a scope, and to be honest it will probably be a hawke, they're pretty well regarded so there's a lot of them around. You might also get a gun slip included, which you will need to transport the gun anywhere, it needs to be covered to be legal if you're in a public place and you're not actively using it, you could wrap it in a blanket and tie it up for example, but a gun slip would be better and a lot less hassle.

A mate of mine has a lightning and I've shot it quite a lot, it really is a lovely rifle, and I'm not just saying that because my first air rifle was a BSA Meteor!

I've not used either of the ones you linked to, so I can't comment on them, but whichever rifle you go for have a good scour of the internet to try and find any problems with them, every rifle will have one or two problems or annoyances, but some are worse than others.
With a spring powered gun there isn't a great deal to go wrong unless it's been really cheaply made, so you're probably ok whichever you go for, but do go and have a look at them in a gun shop and get a feel for them, the best rifle in the world is no good to you if it's uncomfortable for you to shoot it.

One other thing, I personally would go for .177 rather than .22, some people prefer .22 as you have a heavier pellet, which hits a little harder, but I would argue that shot placement is more important.
You can also get very heavy .177 pellets that hit like a .22 so you can use those when you want to, and have a flat trajectory other times, I use air arms diabolo field pellets in .177 and although they have slightly less whack than a .22 I've never failed to kill what I was aiming at with a clean hit.
Shooting a .22 effectively requires very accurate range estimation to your target as the trajectory loops hugely, a .177 is like a laser beam inside sensible hunting ranges.

As for spares, that will depend of which rifle you go for, but with a springer you really don't need a lot, the springs last decades as long as you don't leave the rifle cocked (which is obviously a no no anyway) and there's only a few o rings in them, wouldn't hurt to keep a service kit or two around, but even without changing any parts as long as you look after the gun, store it somewhere dry, and clean, dry it out properly and give it a little smear of oil on the parts that need it after using it then it will last you for years.

I don't know whether you have a big enough garden to practice in, but you will need to practice, if only once in a while just to keep your eye in, most ranges will let you shoot without being a member, so you can go along when you get the rifle to get a feel for it, get the rifle zeroed and learn how to use it, and then just go every couple of months for a refresher.
Hunting requires practice, and not all of it can be practiced on a range, some of it can though, and it would pay to do that before you actually need to rely on your skills to feed yourself.
What you can't practice on a range is stalking, but you can practice that without a gun, use a camera and sneak up to see if you can get close in for a photo.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

If you're only looking at it for occasional use, as Jamesey says, have a look at what you can get second hand. I got mine (a webley tomahawk) complete with a decent scope, bag and a tin of pellets for a hundred quid. I've not used an air rifle to hunt for nearly 30 years but you'll soon get your eye in and pellets don't cost much so no reason not to practise if you think you'll need to re-sight it at some point in the future.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I'm far from an expert, but the Hatsan range might be worth a look.
I bought a 900X and I'm very, very happy with it.
It's got a silencer fitted, reasonable scope, comes with bag etc.
All in, I think I paid £155.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

My first air weapon was a daisy .177 open sights. why, cos my Dad said if you cant use the basics you dont get the good stuff.

Nowadays I mostly use full FSC stuff but I do have a .22 BSA and a wide angle scope which gives me a bit longer each part of the day, and I use this round my chickens, knocking off rats and rabbits.

If you have no real pracital experiance I suggest you go to a club, and try out a few different ones.

In all seriousness, for what you want I wouLd get a cataplut, which is as good as an airweapon fits in your kit better and is really cheap.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Don't laugh but I have a re sprung 60s Relum .22 for rats. As well as a very old smooth bore .22 which is still unidentified.
Underlever is supposed to be more accurate than break barrel.

Practise with paper targets or cans it's a fun hobby.

Avoid cheap Chinese models unless experience tells you otherwise, some are dreadful - worse than a Relum even!

I'm assuming you aren't in Scotland?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

preparedsurrey wrote:Don't laugh but I have a re sprung 60s Relum .22 for rats. As well as a very old smooth bore .22 which is still unidentified.

Avoid cheap Chinese models unless experience tells you otherwise, some are dreadful - worse than a Relum even!

I am and I'm still waiting to hear. My mate got his a couple of days ago, if they're doing it alphabetically then I'll still be waiting a while yet. Its not coming across as well run and I've not had my air rifle out its locker all year. Bit frustrating to be honest.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:
preparedsurrey wrote:Don't laugh but I have a re sprung 60s Relum .22 for rats. As well as a very old smooth bore .22 which is still unidentified.

I am and I'm still waiting to hear. My mate got his a couple of days ago, if they're doing it alphabetically then I'll still be waiting a while yet. Its not coming across as well run and I've not had my air rifle out its locker all year. Bit frustrating to be honest.

Might as well go join a full bore club mate and go the whole hog, if you are going to have to go to the trouble of licensing, bloody stupid move licensing air guns was!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciated.

Sadly in central London I do not have much "open" space to practice, I do have a large garden but it backs on to a main road (so legal issue there plus the general nervousness of neighbours seeing a guy with a gun needs to be factored). Plus being very honest am a bit lazy to join a gun/shooting club.

Luckily their is a gun shop not too far from me that also deals with air rifles as well (Archway) so will maybe pop over to see what they have etc. Guess I'd need to use them to take delivery anyhow.

Am wondering how honest I should be though when discussing why etc. Of course am going to say for shooting rabbits, squirrels etc but should I mention prepping? I mean how much rabbiting or squirreling do people do in London? :)
Gordon's Alive!?