Best Leatherman

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
BugOut66

Best Leatherman

Post by BugOut66 »

Hi,

Apologies if this is old ground - I searched the forum and found many references to people owning a Leatherman but not specifically a chat about which one is best to own for the purposes of prepping. Also... while we're here - Leatherman Vs Gerber?

I'm about to purchase my first Leatherman - I have had many multi tools but never a Leatherman - and was wondering what you all would suggest?

Thanks
ForgeCorvus

Re: Best Leatherman

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I like MT's, they come in the 'Good Tech' category.

Your question though needs expanding, "Whats the best Leatherman for.......?"

So, what are you planning to use it for ? That way we can give you a better idea of your options.

For myself I have three named brand MT's and a few C&N ones.

Leatherman CS Style as a key-fob.
Scissors, small non-locking blade, screwdriver/nailfile, tweezers and the clip doubles as a bottle opener

SOG Powerlock S62 (with the knifeblade removed) in the Bagload
Pliers, Saw (its about the best MT saw I've tried), file, two flat and one phillips screwdrivers, can mangler, awl and the two tools I bought it for, 1/4 inch drive (that I use with a hex adaptor ) and the V-tool (which is a safety cutter that just eats seatbelt and plastic ties)

Paul Chen for bushcrafting (its based around shears rather then pliers)
Shears, saw, file, long blade (locking turn-buckle), small pliers and a few small tools I can't remember ATM
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

Thanks for the reply, and forgive my lack of clarity.

Leatherman for.... my bug out bag, which is also my hiking/countryside bag.

I guess the boring answer, general purpose with a leaning towards SHTF situations.

Does that help at all?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have two leathermans, don't like gerber, they're ok, I just don't like them.
Mine are both pretty old, about ten years or so, I have a charge, which has one handed opening on the knife blades and removable screwdriver and Allen bits, which is handy, I think that's still on sale, but the one I prefer is a core, not sure they sell it anymore, but it's fairly large, solidly built and the tools are hollow ground and actually proper sizes, so the screwdrivers match up with screws rather than being whatever size fitted into the gap they needed to fit them in.
As I said, don't know if they sell it anymore but I would imagine there's a current equivalent which will be worth a look, not flash but does the job and stands up to some abuse, I got mine free from leatherman as my original super tool was so old and knackered that they couldn't repair it.

Can't fault the guarantee at all, supposedly it doesn't cover damage caused by abuse, but that super tool had been used for everything, including hammering in panel pins when I was a theatre tech, the screwdrivers were bent and it had been splashed with salt water a lot while fishing and they just sent me a new tool no questions asked, all I had to pay was the postage to the service centre, didn't even need a receipt, which was lucky as I didn't pay for it, found it in a field after a festival many years ago, handed it in to the local plod and no one claimed it so I got to keep it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have the leather man Wave and Sidekick.They are good,tough,and the pliers are the most useful bit if I am honest.They are heavy.Therefore,I keep one in the car,and one in our household 'emergency box'.Personally,the Swiss Army Knife,for daily life (Hunter for me) is far superior, lighter and ,'unscary' to other folks.But that's me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

jansman wrote:I have the leather man Wave and Sidekick.They are good,tough,and the pliers are the most useful bit if I am honest.They are heavy.Therefore,I keep one in the car,and one in our household 'emergency box'.Personally,the Swiss Army Knife,for daily life (Hunter for me) is far superior, lighter and ,'unscary' to other folks.But that's me.
The sidekick has spring loaded pliers doesn't it? That's a nice feature if that's the one I'm thinking of.

I also only carry a multi tool if I have a reason to do so, a Swiss Army knife lives in my pocket day to day as our knife laws specifically say "folding pocket knife with a blade (or cutting edge depending on which government website you look at) under three inches, such as a Swiss Army knife"
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yes,the side kick has spring loaded pliers.I have just been to check it,as I never took any notice! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

Thanks everyone. Great recommendations.

Anyone have any concerns about the law when carrying a Leatherman?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

BugOut66 wrote:
Anyone have any concerns about the law when carrying a Leatherman?
Yes, it's technically illegal to carry one without good reason if the blades lock, so use some common sense, if you have a reason to be carrying it do, if you don't, don't.

I have been searched by police while carrying a leatherman (used to have one on my belt every day) and they were fine with it, but that's down to individual police officers and what they think of you, so the decision is yours alone whether you carry it day to day.

If you're hiking it's fine to carry it though, that counts as a good reason.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I also only carry a multi tool if I have a reason to do so, a Swiss Army knife lives in my pocket day to day as our knife laws specifically say "folding pocket knife with a blade (or cutting edge depending on which government website you look at) under three inches, such as a Swiss Army knife"
Have to confess I'm with Jamesey here. I carry a small SAK (the Waiter actually because the corkscrew is the thing I use most! :D ) because the multitools are heavy and ridiculously expensive. I have Wilko's own multi-tool which, yes, is more bulky than a Leatherman or Gerber but was only £10 and is built like a tank. I only carry it when I know I'm going to need it.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb