Best Leatherman

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: Best Leatherman

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I also only carry a multi tool if I have a reason to do so, a Swiss Army knife lives in my pocket day to day as our knife laws specifically say "folding pocket knife with a blade (or cutting edge depending on which government website you look at) under three inches, such as a Swiss Army knife"
Have to confess I'm with Jamesey here. I carry a small SAK (the Waiter actually because the corkscrew is the thing I use most! :D ) because the multitools are heavy and ridiculously expensive. I have Wilko's own multi-tool which, yes, is more bulky than a Leatherman or Gerber but was only £10 and is built like a tank. I only carry it when I know I'm going to need it.
I'm with you, a SAK in my pocket all the time (a spartan, I used to use the corkscrew a lot but thank God for screw tops :D ). SAK's are non threatening for most people so unlikely to draw attention and legal anyway. I've got a hefty Walmart multi tool that I bought in the States years ago that I take out with me if I think I'll need it but its usually buried in the bottom of a bag.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I carry a Leatherman Juice XE6 in a leather pouch on my belt. The knife, pliers, scissors and corkscrew get the most use. I own a few multi-tools including SAK, Leatherman and RS own-brand but I find the XE6 the best combo for on-person carry as it has a good range of features without being too heavy.

The strangest MT I own is the Paul Chen Multi Tasker (https://www.heinnie.com/hanwei-paul-chen-multi-tasker). It's a beast of a contraption!
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have had leathermans for years, ever since I found one in the back of a bike I had bought and have broke a few and they have always been replaced no questions asked (and it was my own hamfistedness)... they are very good

Gerber - not a fan have broke 3 dimes already , they seem to be made of chocolate ..

Paul chan - not a fan :D but only a tenner so worth having one in the toolbox

But when I asked the same question over on BBs I was steered towards the Victorinox Swisstool and so far its as good or better than my Leathermans.......so maybe worth a go....

TBH I have tried other makes but none are a patch on the LM or Swisstool
Jarhead55

Post by Jarhead55 »

Leatherman Wave served me well for last 17 years. Also got a good Swiss army knife. That has lasted since 1984. 17 years of which were heavy use in the Army.
Top Tip : tie it to chest pocket or use a lanyard to belt.
Bit upsetting if you lose this expensive/ important equipment.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I have the OHT, I would have liked the MUT also, but the OHT is serving well, I have few concerns about encounters with the law TBH, I carry a swiss army knife too, I think one's demeanor and attitude go a long way, and given that I'm in my 50's I can't see anyone seeing me as threatening, last time I used it publicly was at Aldi last week pulling a new pound coin back out of the bloody trolley because they still only take old ones and I didn't notice I'd put a new one in my pocket :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

I've an old Leatherman, think it's the Rebar. It now lives in the toolbox as it can't close anymore due to the amount of abuse it's had over the past 23 years. (It was a present on my 16th birthday) It's been twisted out of shape now & a few of the tools have broken.

I now use a Gerber suspension. The only reason I went for that is that it was issued free to me from the Army when I went on tour. It's 7 years old and still going strong.

When (if) it gives up the ghost I think I'll be returning to Leatherman, will be watching this to see which is the most popular.

I carry on my belt everyday (alongside a small torch and seatbelt cutter). I've never had an issue with the Police when stopped. The only real Issue I had was missing my train the last time I was stopped as the copper was having the very same conversation as this thread. (He was a Leatherman addict had a Charge TTi) we spent about 15 minutes comparing our devices.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
korolev

Post by korolev »

ChefSimon wrote:I've an old Leatherman, think it's the Rebar. It now lives in the toolbox as it can't close anymore due to the amount of abuse it's had over the past 23 years. (It was a present on my 16th birthday) It's been twisted out of shape now & a few of the tools have broken.
Have you tried getting it fixed/replaced under the lifetime warranty ? I think the UK contact is http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/ (no affiliation but I've heard a lot of decent things about them).

As for LM, bit of a weak spot for me, I have a Charge Ti, 2x Juice, Rebar EDC, Skeletool, Wingman, 2x Squirt, Micro, 4x Style. For hassle free carry and all round use, the it has to be a juice but for sheer grunt, the Charge is the sturdiest and most useful, but comes at a premium price. The Swisstool runs it a very close second, possibly even winning due to cost.
One thing is true though, a £20 MT isn't going to stand up as well as something costing 4 (or more) times as much.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

korolev wrote:
Have you tried getting it fixed/replaced under the lifetime warranty ? I think the UK contact is http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/ (no affiliation but I've heard a lot of decent things about them).
Thanks, I've never really thought about it. I'll look into it.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

i have a leatherman wave, i like the look of it, the weight of it and its smooth to hold. It lives in a leather case and no word of a lie is the most frequently used tool I posses which being a chippy seems odd, but there it is.

The pliers are probably the most used tool and strangely enough it gets used a lot at home....
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

I keep a Juice S2 in my jacket pocket - for me it's all the tool i need and it's a legal carry.
My favorite MT though is a Swisstool Spirit. Fab, bombproof piece of kit!