Knife sharpner / stone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mr spyder

Re: Knife sharpner / stone

Post by Mr spyder »

Over the years I have acquired a few stones one Japanese the other cheap one also had a dc4 so long the diamond is almost gone latest acquisition is ceramic honing rod got a cheap piece of alumina ceramic roughed it up awesome bit of kit hard as a bastard to work though
Mad Medic

Post by Mad Medic »

Blade Medic in my Go Bag and a couple of finer grit diamond stones at home, but just treated myself to a new toy........Worksharp Field Sharpener after watching Chris Tanner on Prepared Mind 101 on You Tube. Oh being a Newbie I hope I haven't just used a swear word mentioning an American prepping site?
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional........and a much overated concept in my opinion!
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:I have water stones for the Moras and assorted other blades (they seem to breed when I'm not looking! :shock: ). For kitchen knives, after many years of no sharpening ever they were blunt as ball-point pens, so I bought an electric sharpener: Chef's Choice 3 Stage Sharpener, Model 110 to be precise, to put an edge on them (that was about 8 years ago before I learned to use water stones). Since then, every time before I use them I run them through a Chantry Knife Sharpener. I now can't abide a blunt knife in the kitchen!!! I discovered the hard way about different grinds and that you can't put a scandi grind through the Chef's Choice!

I use a Chantry sharpener too. It puts a slight serration on the edge, but for kitchen knives it's idea (considering a blunt knife is a dangerous one).

I also have a Japanese whetstone. It wasn't cheap, but I bought it when I picked up one of those posh Global kitchen knives as I'd never use the Chantry on this.

I keep on meaning to pick up a puck stone or DC4 as both seem to be well recommended on here.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Its quite an industry this knife sharpening lark isn't it? :lol: Me,I use a butchers steel...but then I am a butcher! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Mad Medic

Post by Mad Medic »

Definitely Blade Medic in my Go Bag then at home I have a Worksharp Field Sharpener (which I saw on PreparedMinds 101) and also an older double sided oil stone which I've had since I was an Apprentice in the early 80's.

Also after some excellent advice from the guys & girls on here I have a leather strop which I'm learning to use, loaded with Smurf Poo! :D
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional........and a much overated concept in my opinion!
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

I use an oilstone first then finish off my edges with a white arkasas stone. You get a brilliant edge.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! You wanna see my work knives ( I am a butcher) razor sharp and they look like hell! Sharpen em on a steel and about every three weeks they ‘fail’ and no amount of steeling does it. So I ram them through the bench grinder and they are bang on! They have to be sharp 100% of the time and they last about 18 months. You bushcraft lads would cringe.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:Ha ha! You wanna see my work knives ( I am a butcher) razor sharp and they look like hell! Sharpen em on a steel and about every three weeks they ‘fail’ and no amount of steeling does it. So I ram them through the bench grinder and they are bang on! They have to be sharp 100% of the time and they last about 18 months. You bushcraft lads would cringe.
This is the reason I don't drop nearly 500 notes on a Woodlore, I want to have a sharp knife and I don't want to spend more time making it sharp then I do using it.

Hultafors or Mora and never spend more then two hours wages per knife.
If you kill one (and thats hard to do) or lose one..... Its only a Mora/Hultafors

Just bought a load of These....... Best twenty quid I've spent (on me) this year
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
jansman wrote:Ha ha! You wanna see my work knives ( I am a butcher) razor sharp and they look like hell! Sharpen em on a steel and about every three weeks they ‘fail’ and no amount of steeling does it. So I ram them through the bench grinder and they are bang on! They have to be sharp 100% of the time and they last about 18 months. You bushcraft lads would cringe.
This is the reason I don't drop nearly 500 notes on a Woodlore, I want to have a sharp knife and I don't want to spend more time making it sharp then I do using it.

Hultafors or Mora and never spend more then two hours wages per knife.
If you kill one (and thats hard to do) or lose one..... Its only a Mora/Hultafors

Just bought a load of These....... Best twenty quid I've spent (on me) this year
Aye, I'm a Mora slut, got more than enough but somehow accidentally ordered another one (plus a few other odds and sods) due to the powers of advertising and red wine. Still, it won't exactly go off sat with its pals until needed. :P I'm far from a knife expert though, I just know they tick all my boxes, always open to new info though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a hultafors in my pike fishing kit,I use it for cutting deadbaits.Bright orange handle so I can't miss it,sharp as #### and cheap! If I lost it I wouldn't be heartbroken,apart from having to fork out a tenner ( if that) :lol: A knife is only a piece of sharp steel.

Robert Frost.

Me.