iPhone night vision app

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

iPhone night vision app

Post by Jamesey1981 »

This one isn't really equipment since it's just an app, but it didn't fit in anywhere else really.

There are a few apps around that claim to offer night vision, but this is the first one I've tried that does actually work. It's called night eyes, it's free, it does give you an advert of varying degrees of annoyance when you start it up but once you've closed the ad it doesn't come back again, if it really bothers you and you like the app then there is a paid version that gets rid of the ads.

It has three modes, I have found mode two and three work the best, and you can choose the colour of the image it displays to suit your preferences. As far as I can tell it collects light using long exposures and then collects it together to display a much brighter image than you would otherwise have, it's a little jerky if you move the camera around or if you're looking at a moving object, sort of like watching a low frame rate video, but it does show you a lot more than you can see with the naked eye.

It gets to be a pretty noisy image if it's very dark and you crank the sensitivity right up, but you can still see more than you otherwise could, nowhere near as good as my actual night vision devices, but there's no way it could be, and I always have my phone on me and my night vision is only really with me if I'm out shooting, it works very well in a dark street environment where you have a little light but not really enough to see everything that's going on around you, which is where it might be useful, I don't like not knowing what's going on! You could of course use a torch, and I'm sure most of us carry one, but using a torch is pretty obvious and sometimes it's smart to be a little more discreet.

Don't know if it's also available for android, but if you have an iPhone and think it might come in handy one day then have a look, it takes up very little space.
The link is to apple's App Store.
Night Eyes FREE - Low Light Camera by N ... gb/y1034.i
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
ukpreppergrrl

Re: iPhone night vision app

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Cool thanks fo the heads up. Have downloaded it and will try it out once the sun goes down! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Appin

Post by Appin »

If you have the money to spare how about an IR attachment.

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/a-review- ... -flir-one/
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Appin wrote:If you have the money to spare how about an IR attachment.

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/a-review- ... -flir-one/
If I'm going to carry an extra wotsit for night vision then I might as well carry my night vision, but those thermal adapters do bring up another issue, they're sensitive enough to show which buttons you've pressed on a rubber keypad if you're quick enough, I read an article a year or so ago where some security researchers showed that you can tell which numbers you have pressed while entering your PIN on a retail card reader, they couldn't get it to work with the metal keys on a normal cash machine, so put your hand on it flat to wipe out the heat signature after you've put your number in, pretty unlikely attack but it's another thing that a simple habit can protect you from, and no matter how unlikely, if it's easy and free to protect against then why not do it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Interesting ! I just saw night vision adaptors to place onto your phone, but an app? Brilliant!

Does anyone know if there is an Android version? Im too cheap for Apple... :oops: :(
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I would think there's a version for droid, it's a lot easier to get an app onto the droid App Store than the apple one, Apple are pretty strict whereas google will let near enough anything on, consequently there's a lot more apps for droid than iPhone, you might have to sift through a bit more crud to find it but if the same guy has made the app then you might be able to spot it with the app name or his name.

I would imagine the adaptors work a lot better, but for the sake of about 30 megabytes of storage an app that works even only ok is worth having, you never know when it might come in handy, I used it the other night as a visiting cat was on the roof of my extension, if I'd used a torch he'd have seen it and wanted me to let him in, (I don't mind him coming in, he's an awesome cat, but I lock my cats in at night so he would have been trapped, and he's not my cat) whereas with the app I could make sure he was ok without him knowing.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I would think there's a version for droid, it's a lot easier to get an app onto the droid App Store than the apple one, Apple are pretty strict whereas google will let near enough anything on, consequently there's a lot more apps for droid than iPhone, you might have to sift through a bit more crud to find it but if the same guy has made the app then you might be able to spot it with the app name or his name.

I would imagine the adaptors work a lot better, but for the sake of about 30 megabytes of storage an app that works even only ok is worth having, you never know when it might come in handy, I used it the other night as a visiting cat was on the roof of my extension, if I'd used a torch he'd have seen it and wanted me to let him in, (I don't mind him coming in, he's an awesome cat, but I lock my cats in at night so he would have been trapped, and he's not my cat) whereas with the app I could make sure he was ok without him knowing.
Thanks mate ! I will have a dig around.

Good idea on the cat front. We have (too many!) cats and that would help us find them when they are plague-ing the poor neighbours...
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Ours are mega pampered house cats, they visit the old people next door so that they can leave fur in more than one house, they don't mind though, they used to have cats.
Two of ours were indoor cats for most of their lives, one was a rescue, I found him in a bit of a state, he wasn't chipped and no one claimed him, after a while he had settled in so I couldn't bring myself to send him to a shelter and we kept him so I don't know his history, but I have two that haven't grown up outside and one that has form for getting lost, so it makes sense to keep them in, just because of the roads as much as anything else.

The other thing is the m25 cat killer, they've killed and cut up over two hundred cats so far, as well as a fair few foxes and rabbits, don't want any of mine being his next victim. Not a nice chap, give it a Google if you've not heard about it, I would mention what I would do to the subhuman scumbag if I happened to catch up with them but that would get me banned.
Don't get me wrong, I shoot, and I do kill animals, but only if there's a reason to do it and I make it as quick and painless as possible, this guy is a proper wrongun.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Christ ! I hadnt heard about that one ! Just what is wrong with our society, that it throws up such sick, evil beings?

I, too, shoot and kill animals (swiftly), but even from a farming background its not something I can say I have ever been comfortable with, let alone enjoyed. Im glad to hear you keep your loved ones safe, mate. Down my way, its horses on the moors that seem to be the targets.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Not sure it's our society, I think it's us as a species, we're a planetary plague, even the best of us over the years, Darwin himself ate Galapagos giant tortoises on the trip home, and there's always been wronguns, it's only now that we have a society that mostly gives a crap that things like this get noticed, look back to the days of Jack the Ripper, can't imagine anyone would have cared about a few cats if a similar nutter was about. It's sad from our modern viewpoint but cats are only recently pets, only a few years ago the dogs got scraps and the cats had to work for their dinner, all a cat was to most people was a furry mousetrap, if it starved to death then you'd be happy that you didn't have any mice left.
There's a lot of people in the shooting community that still HATE cats, and I've got in many arguments and a few scraps because of it, but people are idiots, they'll happily hate cats for being cats but still post a picture of three hundred dead pigeons in the back of their pick up.
Yes, cats kill songbirds, but let's do a thought experiment, how many songbirds would there be if cats had never existed? And then how many songbirds would there be if humans had never existed?
I'd bet my existence on the songbirds being better off without us humans to be honest.

Yeah, I enjoy shooting, and I do enjoy the sport of hunting, but actually killing something is something that I'm in two minds about, if I'm going to eat it, then all good, that's nature, it's prey, I'm a predator, but for controlling inedible(fair enough, most are edible, but only in an emergency,) pests or predators I do it because it's for the greater good, I don't enjoy it so much, but as we humans have historically wiped out most of the larger predators then sometimes we have to step in to fill the gap we've created, I still enjoy the sport, the stalk and the man against beast aspect, but the actual kill always makes me feel a little sad, probably as it should be to be honest.

Sorry for going off topic mods.