Tarpaulins,timber and tape

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Tarpaulins,timber and tape

Post by jansman »

Well,like most of you,its been slashing down rain today.Its found its way into an outbuilding through the slate roof.When it stops raining it will be simple to fix.In the meantime I broke out one of my various sized tarpaulins. Along with some battens the job was sorted in a few minutes - at least until a permanent repair can be done.

I even carry spare slates ( the house and outbuildings are roofed with the same size).Along with timber,glass,fixings etc.I can effect repairs in an emergency. Good when the water is coming in!

Along with everyone here,we have water filters,stoves and all that.However,fixing the property when needed is absolute priority to me.
Do you think the same?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Tarpaulins,timber and tape

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote:Well,like most of you,its been slashing down rain today.Its found its way into an outbuilding through the slate roof.When it stops raining it will be simple to fix.In the meantime I broke out one of my various sized tarpaulins. Along with some battens the job was sorted in a few minutes - at least until a permanent repair can be done.

I even carry spare slates ( the house and outbuildings are roofed with the same size).Along with timber,glass,fixings etc.I can effect repairs in an emergency. Good when the water is coming in!

Along with everyone here,we have water filters,stoves and all that.However,fixing the property when needed is absolute priority to me.
Do you think the same?
I have a couple of massive tarps and rope, to throw over the roof if a tile or two come off.

As I'm not too happy at height I'll leave the fixing to the professionals. :P
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

The same! When my builder went through my carport roof whilst he was repointing the side of my house I had tarpaulins galore on hand to cover the hole. As I had the solar battery bank in there, keeping it watertight was a priority. I thought I'd be needing to break out the Israeli dressing and SAM splint as well: there was a squeal and a loud crashing noise and then...silence...but he was fine, just a bit shaken. :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I have large tarps , blue HGV type sheeting rope, ball bungees, and a pile of timber..

Been into my shed tonight dry as a bone :-)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm probably a bit light on the more serious running repairs although it sounds like most I've got tarps, cordage, black maskers etc to effect temporary repairs. Its a good point though and something to consider.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

This is something we're a bit light on too but we could rustle up a tarp and rope to cobble together a repair. Once funds allow, it wouldn't hurt to put together a GHK (gaping hole kit). :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes I've got tarps and the like. Keeping a few tiling laths or battens at hand can also be a good idea to firmly fix down a tarp. Ok so it will damage the tarp to nail them down but treat them as consumables . I also keep a stock of tiles and felt for a proper repair and have a couple of tins of stuff ( sorry I forget the trade names) that can be used in the wet to patch a hole. Bit of a bodge in some respects but good for an emergency.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Just call me "omigod, look how steep that learning curve is".
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Living at 1000ft and on an open hillside, I've often thought *whatif a huge gale lifts the roof off?* - but have honestly no idea what we could do in that situation. No tarp is going to be big enough/we aint trying to climb ladders in a force ten/it's a HA house anyway. But yes I have often wondered what hell we would do in that situation :mrgreen:
A friend of mine up on Skye had her livingroom windows blown in at 2am during a winter gale and they had to sit in the hall until morning. And we have had the skylight, complete with frame, sucked out of the roof by a big gust and dropped in the back garden. It is a worry living up here.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:This is something we're a bit light on too but we could rustle up a tarp and rope to cobble together a repair. Once funds allow, it wouldn't hurt to put together a GHK (gaping hole kit). :D
Damn! Another acronym!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.