Crossbow shooting in South Wales.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
SWalesRob

Crossbow shooting in South Wales.

Post by SWalesRob »

Does anyone in the South Wales area know of anywhere that could be used to fire crossbows and crossbow pistols? The place I'm using at the moment is ok but it's very open and when it's windy it's no good. I have another place I use but it's only about 30m in range. I want to go up to about 70m to see if it's practical. 70m with the bow not the pistol.
Plymtom

Re: Crossbow shooting in South Wales.

Post by Plymtom »

We use ours at the gun club, the little children love the pistols, we have balloons pinned to our archery target for them, we have only used them mostly at 15 yards ( full size) and occasionally 25, it's just a bit of fun really, i take my 55lb compound too, you'll find an even pull on the crossbow string is crucial.
Traditional archery clubs at least back 5 years when we were looking down here frown upon much other than recurve bows, it turned out that people who really like to shoot ( full bore) also like pretty much everything else which lobs an arrow or projectile, I bet you find similar attitudes is South Wales and that you think laterally and go join a gun club :lol: I kid you not we play ( yes I did say play because it's fun!) with Catapults ( we make our own balls from scrap bullets) bows, compound bows, crossbows of all types, airguns of all types, Shotguns, practical, clay and target slug, and everything which one can legally own in the UK for target shooting from .22LR up to Elephant guns, there's a thriving .50 BMG club in the UK too.

Crossbows are fun there is no doubt, and it's a skill to get good with that is for sure, for which you'll need a cocking rope, a sensible diet, and very good bowel control, I can assure you it's strenuous loading the damn thing for serious practice, you wouldn't want to do a 175 pounder with no cocking rope the day after a curry, I've had one or two near misses which had nothing to do with where the bolt went ;)

Seriously I reiterate this can be a wonderful social activity,where you'll meet loads of people from all walks of life if you happen across a good club, I know some of the airgun clubs are similar, so get googling and ask, go down the "I want to join an airgun/archery/gun club but also have a crossbow and wondered if on occasion you do that too?" it's worth a crack.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
SWalesRob

Post by SWalesRob »

I've spoken to my local archery club and they were a bunch of arrogant tools. They don't even allow compound bows. The local gun club by my has gone and is now farm land. I use part of a tip but it's not ideal. Around this way you say crossbow and people hear holligan or nutter. I was just wondering if anyone local had anywhere better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

SWalesRob wrote:I've spoken to my local archery club and they were a bunch of arrogant tools. They don't even allow compound bows.
That is what I was saying in a nutshell archery and even clay shooting clubs tend to revolve around one discipline, outside which the world is flat ;) Fullbore and from what I have heard airgun clubs are more likely to have a broader membership, which often rubs off and Fullbore definitely do, often having evenings for other activities and their own clay shoots too

Have you searched I found one online in Haveford West once, they do tend to be a bit illusive until you really start searching try this http://www.shootingclubdirectory.com/wales/ but not just that, as I said they can be a bit illusive, also ask in gun shops.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drcamburn wrote:
SWalesRob wrote:I've spoken to my local archery club and they were a bunch of arrogant tools. They don't even allow compound bows. The local gun club by my has gone and is now farm land. I use part of a tip but it's not ideal. Around this way you say crossbow and people hear holligan or nutter. I was just wondering if anyone local had anywhere better.
I think that's just an archery club thing. I tried to join one a few weeks ago and they wanted me to do two sessions a week, for six weeks to join their cult, then additional training to use a compound bow. Needless to say, i told them to shove it. I think archery clubs are too closed minded. My plan was to ask the local cadet centre if I could use their gun range, just have too many more pressing preps to do at the moment.
I'd be amazed if anybody would let you use their range for insurance purposes etc. Gone are the days where unofficial arrangements like this happened, people are too quick to sue now. No harm in asking, if you don't ask, you don't get and all that but my ghast will be well and truly flabbered if you have any joy.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drcamburn wrote:Yeah, unfortunately. I think the low likelihood of them actually saying yes is another reason I keep putting off writing to them. Thankfully my parents have a large garden with a brick wall at the end of it so I can get my archery and airgun fix that way. But just as an idea on places to try. I've been looking into a crossbow as it looks kinda fun, but the lack of crossbow sites is putting me off.
I think its a common problem mate, I can't offer any practical advice other than just keep trying to find somewhere, whether its farmland or whatever.
SWalesRob

Post by SWalesRob »

Cadet range would be great for zeroing but most will only be 20-25m long. I also agree that no one will be willing to let you use them incase it comes back on them. I'm going to keep looking for a place local to me I think, and keep using the tips for now.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.