Heated jackets

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

Heated jackets

Post by grenfell »

Perhaps not 100% prepping related although keeping warm is a part of course.
I've worked for the best part of my adult life on building sites , well restoration but you get the idea. I haven't really been on one for the last five years but still use a building related forum. Recently on there someone asked about heated jackets and I must admit I've never heard of or seen them . I seem to recall there is the odd few builders on here and several others whose work takes them outside a lot. Have you ever used one and how do they perform? I'm not really thinking of buying one , if anything they seem a lot of money for just a jacket and as it's normally hands and feet that seem to feel more cold than my body I can't help feeling that money would buy an awful lot of gloves and socks. Also in the past two years at least I haven't found it that cold outside in the winters to warrant such a thing.
However , tying this in with the keeping warm thread , could such a jacket and a solar powered charger be an option for a power failure or would people rather use the money for woolies and jumpers?
Here's an eBay link to the kind of thing,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... t&_sacat=0
MBJ

Re: Heated jackets

Post by MBJ »

Maybe I'm just old fashioned in my views, but I don't think you can beat wool for staying warm. That's what sheep use and they seem to do fine :D

Does seems like a curious idea though, but far too expensive in my opinion but each to their own.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

As a preppy item,for those elderly, infirm or not able to have woodburners etc, I can see this having merit for use indoors. If you are unable to heat your home, wearing one of these could certainly help. It's made by a decent manufacturer so I would expect the quality to be OK. I would have liked something like that when I was travelling by motorbike in the winter in my yoof. :D
I'm not sure I would want one now, but as MBJ said, it's an interesting idea.
As you say Grenfell, do our winters (except maybe at Lil's place) get cold enough to require them for outside work?

The price is relative, a couple of Merino wool vests and you've spent the same. ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Investing in wool doesn't have to be expensive. You can pick up good quality wool items from Military surplus stores for a decent price.

I recently bought a Grade 1 Swedish Army M39 wool jacket and a Supergrade Danish Civil Defence wool coat for the grand total of £35.00, so a bargain really.

Image Image
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've seen heated skiing jackets which they claim are good for 4 to 10 hours, they seem to work well enough, and I seem to remember the gadget show making their own "home made" version pretty cheaply. As I understand it if your body core is kept warm enough the blood flow to your hands keeps them warm-ish too.
Doubt I'd buy one myself though.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

MBJ wrote:Investing in wool doesn't have to be expensive. You can pick up good quality wool items from Military surplus stores for a decent price.

I recently bought a Grade 1 Swedish Army M39 wool jacket and a Supergrade Danish Civil Defence wool coat for the grand total of £35.00, so a bargain really.
I don't mean to be funny here, but there is a reason why they are cheap. If you want to wander around looking like a Cold War reject, yep Military Surplus coats are great. However, in this day and age I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself wearing things like that, coz you will stand out in any crowd.

However, for indoors, you could always wrap up in wool blankets. I'm not knocking wool, I have a lot of wool in my wardrobe, but for the average person, the Coat in the OP represent s a reasonable price when compared with good wool products.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

I think it depends where you live, the people there and the sort of activities you do (shooting) etc. It was just only yesterday that I saw a bloke wearing a similar military jacket minus the insignias which I plan to remove, and this was out at the shops and not at the range.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I suppose it must. The last time I saw anyone (civilian) wearing a Military coat was outside the White Hart in Ampthill, circa 1976. :D For a period of time back then, they were a fashon statement for the prog rock brigade.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

This gentleman is doing some great items with wool blankets:

https://www.facebook.com/Twodogs-outdoo ... /?ref=py_c

I'll admit to knowing the bloke, but have no vested interest other than now owning a couple of bits. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Cool. I think Mortblanc makes clothing from wool blankets too.

You could have the best of both worlds, add a heater pack to one of them and it could be the bits.