Figure Four Trigger Trap Pre-made?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Captain Darling

Figure Four Trigger Trap Pre-made?

Post by Captain Darling »

Imagine I'm not the most articulate individual on God's green earth, it's not hard.

Although I can muddle through and manage to fashion something that almost resembles a figure of four trap trigger, and sometimes they can even work.

I'm wondering, is there somewhere in can just buy a ready made set? Just saves time and effort to be honest.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Bearded Prepper

Re: Figure Four Trigger Trap Pre-made?

Post by Bearded Prepper »

Think here that it probably best to learn this skill of making and practice making the trap rather than buying an item. I think this is one of those moments where knowledge trumps gear, what if it gets damaged or lost? or you have to relocate quickly and can't go back for traps?

As you can already make something close I'd suggest keep practicing then use one of the better ones that you make and take that with you in your kit, best of both worlds then?

That being said

http://www.myapocabox.com/product/figur ... dfall-kit/

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... -trap-pack
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good links there, BP, nice one buddy ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

The problem as I see it is buying pre-made traps, will limit the size of quarry you can go for but making your own means you make the trap for the quarry size little ones for rats big ones for sheep if you see what I mean

you can also use the same set up, with a triangle cage to catch ground eating birds
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Captain Darling

Yeah I am getting there with making them. Sometimes they even work.

It's nice to know you have at least one good to go before you have to start trying, more of a psychological approach for me I guess.

I like the first link where you have one pre made and then get to carve one. Has anyone used Apocabox before?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Captain Darling wrote: Has anyone used Apocabox before?
My mate gets them, the one I saw had some great bits in it.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Sorry but why spend money when all you need is a knife seems like a waste to me or maybe I ought to start making and selling
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Captain Darling

It's not a waste, it's an investment, because the ones I make are pump. I don't usually have much spare time in the field to be honest. And when I am out I'm usually practising how to not end up needing to use the survival skills in the first place.

With pre made I can set up one or two fully functional traps then get to work mincing my way through some more.

Same with snares, and hopefully soon fishing nets. I know how to make them (not yet nets). But having one or two good means I KNOW I'm squared away for a short period of time until I sort my life out.

All I'm doing is trading cash for time and effort.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Captain Darling wrote:It's not a waste, it's an investment, because the ones I make are pump. I don't usually have much spare time in the field to be honest. And when I am out I'm usually practising how to not end up needing to use the survival skills in the first place.

With pre made I can set up one or two fully functional traps then get to work mincing my way through some more.

Same with snares, and hopefully soon fishing nets. I know how to make them (not yet nets). But having one or two good means I KNOW I'm squared away for a short period of time until I sort my life out.

All I'm doing is trading cash for time and effort.

I think you're highlighting one of the main differences between a prepper and a survivalist/bushcrafter here, we need to know all the Ray Mearsy minimalist ways of getting by sure and it's damn good to do so, but if you're hungry, have ready made traps and a lighter, you can set them get a brew on without rubbing sticks together, and make more, I love the idea of roughing it sometimes ( and it's nice to get away from all the commercial luxury because it has a falseness to it) but if you had the choice and the time to prepare would you have a tarp and a bed of leaves, or a full on cabin in the woods?

The answer to your problem may lay in doing a bit of workshop DIY with more evolved woodworking tools, it's not as easy as buying something, but a damn sight more easy than doing it on your knees ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Captain Darling

Yeah I'm getting there. Need to keep my knife sharper as well.

All my kit like this is packed in a grab bag which I usually keep in the vehicle.

Yeah my father in law is big on making things and 'make do and mend' and has a load of tools. I'll hit him up and try it in a bit of relative comfort. I think getting a few good ones under my belt would do me good.