ForgeCorvus

Re: Folding locking knife suggestions 4-5"

Post by ForgeCorvus »

tanstaafl wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
jansman wrote:Opinel.
Was going to say that

A #10 is about a four inch blade

Would of suggested that but reckoned they are not robust enough, had the tip off my No.8 the other month.... :shock:
Thats why I always regrind mine to a clip point
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

preparedsurrey wrote:Thank you for all the suggestions, will find a minute and go through them all soon.
Not keen on a fixed blade, no particular reason I've just never carried one on site - a new folding one will live happily in a pocket without me having to think about it.
I'm with you on this. I have some fixed blades, but prefer folding. Sits in my pocket, out of sight wherever I go. I do used fixed from time to time, but sometime forget to take them off my belt. Many a time I have been browsing the shelves of Tescos, only to remember that my Mora is still on my belt, in plain sight. :?
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Britcit wrote:browsing the shelves of Tescos, only to remember that my Mora is still on my belt, in plain sight. :?
I've done that with a USMC Ka-Bar, too big to cover with my shirt, no chance of getting it in a pocket, had to head back to the truck where my mate was waiting with our guns. (We'd been shooting, we weren't robbing the place, I'm a bit of a redneck but I'm not that bad!)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Britcit wrote:browsing the shelves of Tescos, only to remember that my Mora is still on my belt, in plain sight. :?
I've done that with a USMC Ka-Bar, too big to cover with my shirt, no chance of getting it in a pocket, had to head back to the truck where my mate was waiting with our guns. (We'd been shooting, we weren't robbing the place, I'm a bit of a redneck but I'm not that bad!)
In my panic the first time, I just rammed it down the front of my trousers. I went from having a conspicuous knife, to having a conspicuous bulge :oops:
Second time, it went down the back of my trousers and just avoided any bending over.
I find it easier now to try and stick to locking folding knives. Away in the pocket, and no more dodgy trouser fumbling in Tescos.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Didn't occur to me to shove it down my trousers, but I was already getting funny looks without rummaging, rocked up in a mud covered pick up dressed entirely in camo, carrying a huge knife and with rabbit blood on my trousers!
Amazed no one called the old bill to be honest, no sign of security either, I'm guessing they ran away, can't blame them all that much really, had a pretty full on beard and a dark tan at the time since I'd been on holiday the week before, even doing a day's gardening I end up looking like a Sicilian, so thinking about it I'm probably lucky I didn't get shot with the state of the world as it is!

Got my beer and didn't get shot or arrested, so it was a successful mission to Asda.

Back on topic though, sorry for the derailing mods, cold steel do a couple of folding kukris, and they're monstrous, worth a look if you want a big folder, probably overkill for what you want though! :)
http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/2015- ... 566?a62KGC

+1 for a Buck as suggested earlier, I have an old Buck alpha hunter with a gut hook and rosewood handle, (was discontinued but they seem to be making them again, but from different blade steel) and it's a beautiful knife, a real quality product, not cheap but not crazy prices either, and you can feel where your money is going, they seem to be cheaper now than they were when I bought mine, don't know enough about the various grades of stainless to know if they're just cheaper or lower quality, but they do have a pretty good reputation and they'll want to protect it, they're never going to put their name on garbage.
The Buck is actually the only stainless knife that I use on a regular basis apart from SAKs, I'm a carbon junkie, but that one is worth making an exception for.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Thats why I always regrind mine to a clip point

after that incident mine is now :roll:
shocker

Post by shocker »

Ooo! Ooo! Folding kuhkri! Want ! Want! Must sell all possessions NOW ! :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

Slightly closer to my price bracket.....

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01MB ... 10-Handles

happy folding kuhkri joy :D
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know if the Op got sorted but I now own 2 knives more than I did , thanks to this thread :o

Enlan EL-01, a great one handed flipper at 5"

And a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman a monster of a knife one hand opening but 2 hand closing....

shocker

Post by shocker »

I had a very similar knife to the top one for years and loved it - how much and where, if I may ask?

I left mine on a rock the last time I managed to go fishing :oops: