Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
shocker

Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Post by shocker »

Does anyone carry/wear or BOB pack a wristwatch, with SHTF or getting home safe in mind ?

This subject was pointed out to me the other day, the choice of watch and carrying a spare in a BOB or similar. They have many uses apart from time-telling that Im sure everyone is aware of, like navigation and magnification, or signalling.

What would be your choice ? I have a Seiko 7 ( 5, I meant to say FIVE :oops: ) series stainless, analog automatic. No batteries, sturdy and not ludicrously expensive. Also I wear a cheap, T&J battery-analog-faced one on a nato canvas strap, when things may get knocked about.

Im looking out for some plain, old, wind up Timex watches at the moment. My first watch was one and I preferred them to the battery CWC, though they were of a lesser build quality. I mean, short of catastrophic injury, I would be able to wind a watch. Batteries of the right size might be hard to come by in a pinch and spares are just another embuggerment to carry.

What do you guys and gals do re; watches ?
Last edited by shocker on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Re: Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Post by Jamesey1981 »

My EDC watch is a 2001 Rolex Datejust in steel and white gold. (Sorry!)
For stuff when I don't want to wear the Rolex I wear one of the Casio marine series with a ten year (supposedly) lithium battery.
I do like seiko though, I might buy a seiko 5 as an in between measure.

I like simple watches really, don't mind flash, but I like it to be easy to read, my Casio has various functions on it that I don't use very often, but it does have a tide graph which is pretty handy, I have it set to my home port and it lets me know how careful I need to be when parking my boat.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Whoops ! That should have been "Seiko 5" that I have. Just checked. Sorry :cry: :oops:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Lovely watches the seiko 5s, they could charge an awful lot more for them than they do.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Covert

Post by Covert »

I currently dont wear a watch but found myself thinking about this the other day, am now on the lookout for a wind up watch
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Unless you are worried about EMP knocking out your electronics any good battery powered or wind up watch will suffice.

The life span of the average watch battery on the simple models is about 10 years. That will be about the life span of any average wind up watch you find at a boot sale or junk shop.

I wear the battery powered Timex and Casio models and just replaced the battery in my Timex Explorer after 12 years on the job.

As a back up I also own a couple of nice wind up pocket watches which would do for lifetime service without batteries. More importantly, I own a couple of wind up alarm clocks that would be worth their weight in gold in a long term situation.

Chances are that the average prepper is not going to outlive his/her watch battery and if they do the exact time of day is not going to be of that much importance. You will probably be facing a three division time frame; it's morning, it's afternoon, and My God its dark out there!
shocker

Post by shocker »

Au contrere, mon frere....knowing the time can be a lifeline to sanity in a survival situation. I wont bore everyone (that makes a change :oops: ) but suffice it to say it can play a part in psychological survival. That and a handed timepiece can give you navigational capability.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
shocker

Post by shocker »

The link says it all, Andy ! G-Shocks were the watch of choice for many I knew in Services, Fire and NHS included. Mrs Shox has a pair of Baby-G's in girly pink. Im a bit of a luddite and like the hands on the clock ! 8-)
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

shocker wrote:like the hands on the clock ! 8-)
Jesus i thought it was something else for a minute, need to get me eyes checked out.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.