Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The seiko kinetic has either a battery or a capacitor in it, the automatics don't because they're fully mechanical but the kinetic has either a battery or capacitor (at least my old one did, I had to have it replaced twice) they have a rotor that spins a tiny generator instead of winding a spring.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_quartz
I had the standard kinetic, might be different on some of the other models like the direct drive.

Not that expensive to change last time I had it done, much cheaper than getting my Rolex serviced anyway!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Aah, that'll be it, then ! mines is not an auto quartz, just an auto. Didnt know there was a difference :oops:

...and the only Rolexs I have owned have been fakes. Bad, cheap fakes. More :oops:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I much prefer auto to the kinetic system, the kinetic system is cool, and I like the cleverness of it, but you can feel it whirring when you move your wrist, which is a little weird at first, and it makes for a fairly large watch usually. Clever though, and the little rotor in it spins at about 10,000 rpm!

I once had a fake Rolex that had a seiko 5 movement in it, some of them also have ETA movements too, if you see one that ticks three times per second (instead of the five on a genuine Rolex, it's known as a choppy step) then it probably has an ETA in it, that's the company that makes the movements in breitling, tag heuer, swatch, the new tudors and the modern omegas so they're not always trash!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thats nice to know...but mine were total garbage, not even $10 from Canal St, Chinatown, NYC. About 30 years back. :oops:

Mind you, I sold them all for up to fifty quid each when I got home 8-)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

One watch that might be of interest to a prepper while we're on the subject of Rolex, the Rolex milgauss is hardened to resist a magnetic field of 1000 gauss, if you go for an x ray or MRI the consultant will likely be wearing one, the second hand is in the shape of a lightning bolt.
That's fairly well publicised, but what isn't well publicised is that the Rolex oysterquartz can also resist a field of up to 1000 gauss, and is a much better looking watch in my opinion,the milgauss is hardened with a heavy iron case to provide shielding, the oysterquartz is hardened by way of being an incredibly well made watch with a highly resistant movement, getting rare now, I came very close to buying one, but the service history wasn't up to scratch and on a watch as rare as this one you need to know it's been looked after, cost nearly double what a Datejust cost when it came out and has modernised (for the 70s!) styling, so they didn't sell well, they're also the only Rolex that I can think of that ticks once per second, so no sweep second hand, rare, but interesting, (everyone will think it's fake, but then the first thing anyone asks when they see my watch is "is it real?") and will cost less than a new milgauss currently, but not for much longer, and hardened against EMP.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Oysterquartz
Karlj21

Post by Karlj21 »

Happy easter everyone ,thought id put my 2 pence in .
I own both a citizen ecodrive wr100 chronograph and a seiko kinetic , both are great for edc in my opinion the citezen i have had for 7 years has never let me down and the seiko i bought cheap from an auction and seems great. Also with the eco drive it will charge from ANY light source not just solar , i once let it die in a drawer and held it to the light bulb one evening and it instantly began to tick away happily.
F4lcon

Post by F4lcon »

I wear the gshock rangeman tough solar it's a good watch and the compass is pretty accurate
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail