Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
featherstick

Re: Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Post by featherstick »

Just dropped my beloved old Seiko 5 from the mantelpiece onto the tile surround - dead as : (

On the other hand, I get to buy a new one now : )
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:Back when I used to be a chef I couldn't wear a metal watch in the kitchen, they trap dirt, so when I was working I wore one of the cheap casios, you know the one, basic rectangular plastic digital thing.
At the end of the day I'd run it through the dishwasher!
I'd break them eventually, but it was always the strap that went from the wear, it took the dishwasher without any problem, screens went a bit cloudy but they stayed readable! :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2533393? ... AtFX8P8HAQ

That one? Strap broke on mine turns out cheaper to buy a brand new one!
That's the one, you can get batteries from Poundland now but back when I wore them if the strap broke or the battery ran out it was cheaper to buy a new one, brilliant watches for what they cost though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

featherstick wrote:Just dropped my beloved old Seiko 5 from the mantelpiece onto the tile surround - dead as : (

On the other hand, I get to buy a new one now : )
Really ? I beat the crap out of my #5 and all that goes is the glass or strap pins....on the other hand, how much do you want for it? Im totally, absolutely sure its beyond repair...

...he says, lying blatantly... :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:Back when I used to be a chef I couldn't wear a metal watch in the kitchen, they trap dirt, so when I was working I wore one of the cheap casios, you know the one, basic rectangular plastic digital thing.
At the end of the day I'd run it through the dishwasher!
I'd break them eventually, but it was always the strap that went from the wear, it took the dishwasher without any problem, screens went a bit cloudy but they stayed readable! :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2533393? ... AtFX8P8HAQ

That one? Strap broke on mine turns out cheaper to buy a brand new one!
That looks a lot like the ones I had too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I had a right set to the other night!

My work watch (was "best" till I welded wearing it and pockmarked the glass with splatter and slag)
IMG_20170403_221255617.jpg

Well Thursday at work display went black no warning just dead...

So walked to town. £4 for 2 energiser 2016iimsmc cells and £1 for jewelers screw drivers

I got home put in new battery and still dead :'(

So phone call to my mum have you still got the receipt.. Off she goes to her box of everything.

I set too to put original battery in thinking its a warranty job....

Very small lable telling me to touch battery + to ac terminal ... Bit of wire and IT LIVES. Well after about 6 attempts of moving the pellet in the case so all the buttons work :(

But 2 hours later and a grumpy mrs & baby andy missing daddy hugs it lives :o
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Haven't had a watch for coming up for 20 years.
If you had a watch you'd know how many years.
:)

Only joking, I feel weird if I don't wear a watch though, I find myself looking at my empty wrist in a confused manner.

That would be a calendar. :mrgreen:

I went through so many, what with dogs biting my wrist (my Job) during training I just stopped buying replacements. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Derv

Post by Derv »

Ive got a citizen eco drive Mrs Derv got me for EDC, apparently it could never need a battery again the lady in the shop said, think ill wait and see on that... lush watch though.

On the PLCE webbing in case things go mad max, I've got my solar g shock, its a tank and charges itself, just gains about a minute every six months. Suppose ill never be late if shtf and I'm using it :lol:
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Derv wrote:Ive got a citizen eco drive Mrs Derv got me for EDC, apparently it could never need a battery again the lady in the shop said, think ill wait and see on that... lush watch though.

On the PLCE webbing in case things go mad max, I've got my solar g shock, its a tank and charges itself, just gains about a minute every six months. Suppose ill never be late if shtf and I'm using it :lol:
If it's anything like the seiko kinetic it'll need the internal battery replaced after about five years, but in the case of the seiko that costs about the same as five years worth of batteries, so you're not losing anything, and you're doing it less often.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

No batteries in my Seiko Kinetics mate. I know that because it has a clear crystal back on it !

Whereas my dads Citizen Eco Solar has been a right pain in the fundamentals. He did some research and the consensus was that they rarely last to 10 years before giving up the ghost altogether, new battery or no. One jeweler he spoke to told him that he regularly has them in at around five years old and with a new battery they just never work properly again.

Now usually I would discount this as a sales pitch, but the jeweler in question actually knows my old man pretty well...and anyone who knows him, knows that he is tighter than a ducks proverbial and getting cash out of him is, well, you get the picture.

On the other hand, if he can pay in pigs or broken down tractors, he is as freespending as one of Deeps old matelot colleagues, ashore after a two year arctic cruise with a drink inside him. :o

Sorry Big D, but I was in business with an ex oggin-flogger and I formed a bit of an opinion... :oops: :oops: :oops:

...and the ragging starts...wait for it.... :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***