Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Sonicuk wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:One thing, I personally hate the plastic sheaths that they come with, you can pick up a leather sheath for about a tenner on Amazon and it instantly makes your knife feel higher quality.
Can you recommend one? I've not looked yet, but some recommendations would be good.

Thanks
I bought my one a couple of years ago so I can't guarantee that it's exactly the same, but it looks the same as this oneLeather Knife Sheath - Suitable for Man ... 5yb3MWDB93

Fits my main clipper very well and the newer ones that I have also fit nicely, didn't try the robust in it, may not fit as the blade is a little wider, but there is a little spare room in mine so it might.
There are dangler style sheaths on there but I like a sheath that rides high on my belt if possible, and I can't stand them flopping around.

As I said, can't guarantee it's the same but if it is and you like that style of sheath then it'll do the job nicely, just give it a going over with some boot polish when you get it, the leather isn't that well waterproofed as it's cheap, but mine has lasted me a fair while now and for a tenner I'm very happy with it, holds the knife securely, good thick welt, and the belt loop is riveted on so it's not going anywhere, it's also riveted at either end of the stitching to help support the stress points. Stitching is usually what lets you down on cheap leather but mine has lasted fine, but even if the stitching was to let go it's still worth having, you could restitch it in about five minutes using 30 pence worth of thread.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Take one pair worn out rigger boots, cut, sew, new sheath with built in belt loop. :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sonicuk wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:One thing, I personally hate the plastic sheaths that they come with, you can pick up a leather sheath for about a tenner on Amazon and it instantly makes your knife feel higher quality.
Can you recommend one? I've not looked yet, but some recommendations would be good.

Thanks
I bought my one a couple of years ago so I can't guarantee that it's exactly the same, but it looks the same as this oneLeather Knife Sheath - Suitable for Man ... 5yb3MWDB93

Fits my main clipper very well and the newer ones that I have also fit nicely, didn't try the robust in it, may not fit as the blade is a little wider, but there is a little spare room in mine so it might.
There are dangler style sheaths on there but I like a sheath that rides high on my belt if possible, and I can't stand them flopping around.

As I said, can't guarantee it's the same but if it is and you like that style of sheath then it'll do the job nicely, just give it a going over with some boot polish when you get it, the leather isn't that well waterproofed as it's cheap, but mine has lasted me a fair while now and for a tenner I'm very happy with it, holds the knife securely, good thick welt, and the belt loop is riveted on so it's not going anywhere, it's also riveted at either end of the stitching to help support the stress points. Stitching is usually what lets you down on cheap leather but mine has lasted fine, but even if the stitching was to let go it's still worth having, you could restitch it in about five minutes using 30 pence worth of thread.

Thats the one I have fits fine...
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Certainly looks the same as mine, was a little tight when I got it, but that's what you need, the leather softens up and if it's not tight when you get it then it won't hold after a while.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Certainly looks the same as mine, was a little tight when I got it, but that's what you need, the leather softens up and if it's not tight when you get it then it won't hold after a while.
That does look good, thanks.

I've seen some over the last few weeks that look like they would not last a few days of use, but this looks more robust.

I have to say the plastic sheath was better than I expected, especially the simple thumb point to aid the removal of the knife. It just feels odd and too rigid when hooked on the belt.
IL Professore

Post by IL Professore »

Well, i saw this thread last night, and lo-and-behold, they have them at the range.... £9.50.

I had to buy one just to see what the fuss is about. So having a look made me realise what these are. I spent a long time e working regularly in Sweden, and immediately recognised these as a workman's general knife. They are as ubiquitous over there as the Stanley knife is over here. The Canadian oil industry use something similar.

They are very good, take a beating then get replaced when they are knackered. I thought it was £10 well spent, seems a nice enough bit of kit. I understand about the plastic sheath, but if i recall, that was a health and safety thing if i recall correctly....

To be honest, it was worth a tenner for the memories.