Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
shocker

Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Post by shocker »

Mora knives - lots of people have them and nearly all say they are great. On the other hand, I have seen and read others who say the "scandi-grind" edge is weak and not reliable. However, I have not read of anyone having a problem with them chipping or cracking. They seem very cheap in price and that always makes me a little cautious.

Sooo...given that many folk here use them, could anyone weigh in and tell me about them ?Theres lots of good words on here about them already but I would like to here an up to date opinion or three. Most of the write ups I see elsewhere are bad translations or with an advertising angle -

is the edge reliable and strong ? Do they bend ?
are the cheapest ones comparable to the more costly ?
are they full, wide tang ?
are the handles/hilts of a usable size for large hands ?
is the blade thick enough for pushing against the back edge with bare hands ?
are they a keeper, ie can they be resharpened, do they rust or come loose in the handle ?

any help would be appreciated because most of my all purpose bush/carry/work knives are ones I have (at least in part) made, and I really do not want to lose those. I would like to have low cost spares to keep in go-bags and vehicle that I wouldnt sob my heart out if I lost, and that I wont take out of the bag to use daily and forget to put back.

Im not after a fighting knife or a zombie killer. Or a "klingon arse scratcher"...yes Tom, I am looking at you :lol:

I know that generally we get what we pay for but is there a meeting point, where the lines of economy and quality cross, here ? :?:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Re: Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have several moras, and have had for years, never come close to breaking one, a Scandinavian grind can be weaker than a grind with a secondary bevel, but it's better for carving, so it's about using the right knife for the right job.

Whether they rust depends on which steel you choose, never bent one, blade thickness depends on model, all are comfortable both handle and spine, apart from the more expensive ones with 90 degree spines, they're hard on your thumb but then all knives like that are, I have hands like shovels and they don't feel like a toy, steer clear of the ones with the cigar shaped wooden handles, they're not comfortable and I cut myself badly when my hand slipped down the handle.
None are full tang apart from one very expensive one, think it's called the garberg, but trust me, it doesn't matter.

If you want to see just how tough they are, here's a video of someone batoning a mora robust, through bricks, among other things, they tried to test it to destruction and failed to break it.
https://youtu.be/fKlcBpKbAvM
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

For me the great thing about Mora knives is that I really don't care about them because they're so cheap, and I imagine this is what it would have been like in medieval times too when everyone carried a knife. You carried a knife as a tool, and if it got damaged you repaired it - if damaged beyond repair you bought a new one. Sure you could spend loads of gold sovereigns or hundreds of pounds in today's money on a really fancy knife, but how likely are you to use it for fear of it being damaged or broken? And what good is a knife if you don't use it to its full extent?

Now my Mora 820 Companion Knife is made of Sandvik High Carbon Steel and only cost me £8.95 to buy. I've carved with it, whittled with it, struck my Ferro rod with it and even done some batoning on small pieces of wood with it and it's taken it all, and if it were to ever break I'd just go buy another one for under a tenner so I never truly worry about it.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm far from an expert on knives but they're sharp, stay sharp well, feel comfortable and are cheap. This crossed my youtube path the other week which I thought was pretty interesting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvHIciS4Ss
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good stuff, guys ! Just what I wanted to know, especially the sub-tenner models.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

One thing, I personally hate the plastic sheaths that they come with, you can pick up a leather sheath for about a tenner on Amazon and it instantly makes your knife feel higher quality.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Can't really expand on what's been said already. The great thing is their low cost. They hold an edge and take an edge easily. You don't have to be precious with them. My job ( when I am not fishing ha ha :lol: ) involves the use of two knives all day, everyday. They cost no more than twenty quid apiece and HAVE to be razor sharp. They look like hell, as I always put a Scandi grind on them when I buy them ( it's quick and easy to re sharpen them that way)

And that's why I like the Mora and Hultafors. If someone wants to spend a load of dosh on a boutique blade, then fair play. To me a knife is a tool, nothing more.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Jamesey1981 wrote: they're not comfortable and I cut myself badly when my hand slipped down the handle.
None are full tang apart from one very expensive one, think it's called the garberg, but trust me, it doesn't matter.]
Thats a big concern for me, I have a full tang blade that has been para cord wrapped for years that I really need to hilt. I have plenty of choice for scales, stag horn, walnut (from old SLR L1A1 rifle butt) and verious timber from hedging. The bit that Im up in the air about is some kind of "stop" so me mitt dont slide onto the blade.

Im iffing and butting between welding a steel one-piece, slotted cross bar and using brass. I have a bit of bar stock,1.5" x 3.25" so I could cut a disc, slot it and silver solder it on. Or use a chunk on either side with a flare before the blade proper.

But thats a conversation for a new thread, where both of you and Forgey (wot duz blades,innit) can get me sorted out (oo-er!) ;)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Too right on the plastic sheath mate, bloody useless. I tend to make my own leather ones. My current fave is worn out "rigger" boots - they have a belt loop ready sewn on. Also, the wooly lined ones are good for using the old, viking trick, of lining blade sheaths with sheepskin and soaking the wool in oil. That way your blade stays oiled and rust free.
shocker

Post by shocker »

jansman wrote: If someone wants to spend a load of dosh on a boutique blade, then fair play. To me a knife is a tool, nothing more.
Thats right mate. I like to make my tools where I can, that way I get what I really want. In the end. Sometimes. Alright ! I cock up loads, OK ? Sheesh :oops: :cry: