SHELTER OPTIONS

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jamesey1981

Re: SHELTER OPTIONS

Post by Jamesey1981 »

With it being pertex it doesn't breathe quite as well as goretex, but unless it's really hoofing it down with rain you can leave the outer unzipped a little bit to get some ventilation and you still have the mozzie net so you're safe from bugs.
It also has a loop on the top to tie it off to a tree or ridgeline so you can leave the pole at home if you really need to save an extra ounce!
I do like the fact that it has straps to hold your sleeping mat in place, stops you rolling off it!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Even with goretex you still get condensation if your zipped in even goretex can only let so much moisture escape per square metre
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Even with goretex you still get condensation if your zipped in even goretex can only let so much moisture escape per square metre
Even when I was a thin 'fitty' I was a sweaty b'stard, maybe because I did everything at a 100 MPH but that's irrelevant, I agree that goretex isn't totally breathable, still the best I've used.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The army goretex is pretty good to be fair, I've had some right crap consumer gear though!
The pertex isn't bad, it's not as breathable as goretex but it is still breathable, but that's the trade off for the light weight. As you say though, you get a bit of condensation in all of them, especially if you're breathing into it.
I have one of the standard army bags too, but I'm after one of the Dutch army hooped ones, those are really nice, heavy but worth the weight if you can carry it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

The best compromise between weight and price I've been able to find is the DD SuperLight Tarp Tent. It weights in at an incredible 710g and costs only £135 which is ridiculously good for such a lightweight tent.

fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Mine is a little bit smaller than a 1 litre bottle, but mine is an ultralight one, the army ones are a fair bit bigger and heavier, but they're much more hardwearing and there's a bit more room in them so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

This is my one: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bivy-p2803

I like it ! Thanks. Will have to look in to these. Cheers !!
Fileyprepper
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

fileyprepper wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:Mine is a little bit smaller than a 1 litre bottle, but mine is an ultralight one, the army ones are a fair bit bigger and heavier, but they're much more hardwearing and there's a bit more room in them so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

When I bought mine the cheapest I could find it in the uk was Amazon, but it was cheaper to pay the shipping and import it from the USA, sterling was a lot stronger then but the product was a lot newer so prices were higher, have a look as there might still be good deals around, I saved about twenty quid by doing that so it may still be worth it.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
fileyprepper wrote:

When I bought mine the cheapest I could find it in the uk was Amazon, but it was cheaper to pay the shipping and import it from the USA, sterling was a lot stronger then but the product was a lot newer so prices were higher, have a look as there might still be good deals around, I saved about twenty quid by doing that so it may still be worth it.
A good point, someone flagged up on here a while back that even looking at other countries Amazon sites can throw up bargains, mad but the same item can work out cheaper getting it on zee Jarman Amazon (for example) even with postage.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:the same item can work out cheaper getting it on zee Jarman Amazon (for example) even with postage.
For now perhaps but after we leave? :roll:

Don't mention the war... it might have slipped out but I think I got away with it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Might even be cheaper as we won't have to pay the VAT, let's face it, Amazon aren't going to pay any tax that they don't have to!