Who likes knives?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
THRCNBEONLY1

Who likes knives?

Post by THRCNBEONLY1 »

Thought I'd throw this out here to see if anyone has any experience. Couldnt find a dedicated topic.

Ive always had plenty of knives on hand, whether it be nice compact folders or larger fixed. I hold my hands up and say that until recently I had never given much thought to the metals used in blades. More concerned with sharpness than anything. I got looking for a new knife for my kit and naturally started researching the subject and ended up with a degree in metallurgy.

I actually did studied Physics when i left school so have a fair understanding of the science behind materials etc. but never really applied them to anything specific other than to differentiate weight and strength for different tasks. However it turns out there is a lot going on in the background with developing new steel and hybrids of other less likely materials. For example SM100 a titanium nickle alloy which is apparently ridiculously good stuff to use but very hard to shape. Its also has heat memory - which unless im getting it wrong means that if the blade twisted or buckled heat would return it to its former glory. Anyway there are a lot of steels out there and from looking around you need to be careful not to get suckered in with good looking blades made from, well, s*** steel. I cant put it any other way. Sorry.

Ive pretty much decided on a Cold Steel Maurader.
shopping.jpg
AUS-8A steel which im thinking is a decent all round steel to get from what ive read anyway.

So question is. Anyone got one of these? Or other Cold Steel AUS blades? 2 cents would be appreciated.

Or if you can recommend another knife please chime in.

Im looking to pay 100 for this at the end of the month.
shocker

Re: Who likes knives?

Post by shocker »

Forge Corvus would be your man, I'm thinking. I only have the CS Kuhkri which does not have any metal type label (I dug out the sticker that came stuck to it) but it appears to be a piece of flat plate, laser/jet/plasma cut out and an edge ground. No forging at all, so totally unlike yours.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I'm no expert, but if you wanted to baton with that the knife's spine is the wrong shape. I guess it's okey if you're expecting to do a Rambo part 1..... From what I understand, anywhere you take that thing you'd be in danger of getting it confiscated and a police record and you won't have an excuse.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

Is this going to be an EDC? Or a bug out, do everything blade? It is relevant re; choice of metals, the use its going to be put to, etc
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

sethorly wrote:From what I understand, anywhere you take that thing you'd be in danger of getting it confiscated and a police record and you won't have an excuse.
That's actually not how it works, I can see where you're coming from, but any fixed blade knife is legal to carry with good reason unless it is of a type that is specifically prohibited, how scary the knife is just affects whether the police (and later the courts) will view your reason for carrying it as good enough, and how much attention it will attract.

Let's say you're on a picnic, and when asked what your reason is for carrying your knife is you produce an apple and say that you're planning on slicing it, that would probably be acceptable as a good reason if you're carrying an opinel lock knife or a small bushcrafty type fixed blade, but probably not if you're carrying a honking great blade like that one.

Now let's say you're out in some woods (with permission) and you say you're planning on building a shelter, now you're probably going to be fine, you could probably use a smaller knife, but using the big knife is still appropriate.

I often carry a Ka-Bar dogs head utility or USMC while I'm out shooting, both are basically fighting knives although the dogs head isn't described as such, but they have the same blade and the USMC was designed from the ground up as a military fighting knife, and I've never been asked my reason for carrying it when I have encountered police because I have an obvious good reason to be doing so, the same would apply to the knife in the OP.

Carrying large scary knives or in fact any knife, including a small "legal" carry pocket knife in the UK isn't illegal, but it does require the application of a bit of common sense, and some knives just require a bit more justification than others.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
THRCNBEONLY1

Post by THRCNBEONLY1 »

Fully appreciate the law concerns. Ive had my fair share of police involvements when it comes to wild camping and prospecting. For experience the authorities have always been sound after speaking to me and concluding im not a nutter just the outdoor type. No offense intended but if i was in a kapa tracksuit holding a bottle of buckfast branishing the Maurader id more than happily present my wrists to the officers. But most of the time as mentioned above, good cause, merits a good reason.

The other way i told to think about it is easy access to the tool. Example if the blade was secured in a sheath, and not carried on the person then its not possible to use it in an offensive manner. "You stay there, im going to stab you, but need to go dig my knife out first" doesnt scream blind rage.

However having a loose baseball bat in your car is prep for such rage induced moments or I can blind someone with an aerosol can if attacked but if i use a mace, i was preppering to injure rather than improvising and id be huckled.

Funny thing law.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Huckled, I dont know what it means but I like it ! I am going to slip it into conversation whenever possible from now on ..." I say ! You are looking a trifle huckled old chap", and so on.

Huckled. Huckle, huckley, huckle a doodle doo. Great Im off down the shops to break my new word in ! :D :D :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Huckled, I dont know what it means but I like it ! I am going to slip it into conversation whenever possible from now on ..." I say ! You are looking a trifle huckled old chap", and so on.

Huckled. Huckle, huckley, huckle a doodle doo. Great Im off down the shops to break my new word in ! :D :D :D
A good Scottish word, a quick skeg on Urban dictionary will give you a good description although there are some swearies so I won't link it.

I've also heard it used generally as throwing or pushing generally, as in "I huckled it into the back of the car".
shocker

Post by shocker »

Mate, I like it, its greats sounding word. I have already debuted it here in Cornwall. Best one since "Teazey as a bag o' wasps"

:D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

shocker wrote:Mate, I like it, its greats sounding word. I have already debuted it here in Cornwall. Best one since "Teazey as a bag o' wasps"

:D

Rather entertaining when on holiday to slip into Yorkshire especially with none English as first language people as you can have a private chat without anyone understanding what's been said. Got into a confrontation with some african"gipsies" (their word not mine) in Gran Canaria on holiday accosting me and my dad trying to force a friendship bracelet on us / distraction pick pocket us

Bit of Yorkshire between us confused them eg "eg up Da , dat un on yar left is tryin to dip ya "

oi dad that one on your left is trying to pick your pocket

Having a leatherman in my pocket proved I wasn't messing about when I refused to pay her and went to cut it off (with the cutters)

All the time she cursed me / my love life/ my family

"Ey up Flower ya can't curse me I'm from Gods own county" which really worried her you could see in her face drop

But knives I really like Mora

Price is s real big bonus if I loose it or knacker the edge for £10 ish I get a new one but I'm yet to break one...

Use them for gardening / diy/ cooking when camping / cutting tinder / kindling

The 511 is fast becoming a favourite due to the pronounced anti slip finger guard to reduce the risk of blood loss ;)
IMG_20170316_230018848.jpg
https://www.springfields.co.uk/brands/m ... c-511.html

I also like these the colours allow you to use them as you see fit eg red for gutting food / green for veg prep etc or bright orange so you don't loose it ;)

https://www.springfields.co.uk/brands/m ... knife.html

I'd rather drop £50 on 5+ Mora knives than on one boutique item got a Gerber £50 ish knife and it doesn't hold an edge like the Mora looks the part but that's it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine