Compass location distance thing

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
kevprep85

Re: Compass location distance thing

Post by kevprep85 »

whenfires wrote:The same site has a Bear Grylls branded one for £25.00 at the moment. Supposedly reduced from £65.00

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p115473-bushne ... MAP5H-Hi1I
thats the one im going for i thought bg gear would be cheap shite with a badge but ive got a bg knife and its really made of good material
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
shocker

Post by shocker »

That Uttings place deserves a perma-link of its own, they have some cracking deals on nice kit
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
digi

Post by digi »

Just bought on of the BG ones. Cheers for the link. Looks like a handy bit of kit :)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I must admit I do like the idea of it, but I feel having never learnt map reading or orienteering properly, it be a bit of a cheat, I don't get lost too easily, probably because I don't get out much and certainly not out of familiar territory often.
When we got a car with Satnav I would put it on and set it, then try and piss it off going a different way ;) I took a wrong turn a while back when the kids and I were off to the moors to go far a little walk, they panicked a bit, saying we're lost, I said no think of it as exploring, we haven't suddenly been beamed off planet before long we will see a sign to somewhere familiar and be able to figure out which way to go :)
I did get lost in Exeter once, relying on the Sat nav when the place was newer than it's information, that wasn't fun.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

kevprep85 wrote:
whenfires wrote:The same site has a Bear Grylls branded one for £25.00 at the moment. Supposedly reduced from £65.00

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p115473-bushne ... MAP5H-Hi1I
thats the one im going for i thought bg gear would be cheap shite with a badge but ive got a bg knife and its really made of good material

Thanks whenfires, have been watching these on eBay and unwilling to to pay £65+ but that is a good find. It's coming tomorrow. Had a look at your blog too nice work :)
Fileyprepper
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

well it has arrived and I am a little underwhelmed. although the price was good (£30 with delivery) I did do a few test in my local area. I marked the first position as home (stood on the drive outside with clear satellite signal) ands then went for a drive (1-2 miles) I then tried to navigate my way back. crikey what a carry on ! I followed the arrow and it completely missed my home point and took me to the beach. I don't live on the beach !. I have calibrated the device by moving it in a figure of eight as per instructions. I need to do more tests but slightly worried it didn't work first time. can it be relied on ???? time will tell.

hope you find this useful. checked on ebay / amazon again and they are still £65 ish so I good buy but would have sent it back If I had of paid full price.

Regards,
Fileyprepper
omega man

Post by omega man »

fileyprepper wrote:well it has arrived and I am a little underwhelmed. although the price was good (£30 with delivery) I did do a few test in my local area. I marked the first position as home (stood on the drive outside with clear satellite signal) ands then went for a drive (1-2 miles) I then tried to navigate my way back. crikey what a carry on ! I followed the arrow and it completely missed my home point and took me to the beach. I don't live on the beach !. I have calibrated the device by moving it in a figure of eight as per instructions. I need to do more tests but slightly worried it didn't work first time. can it be relied on ???? time will tell.

hope you find this useful. checked on ebay / amazon again and they are still £65 ish so I good buy but would have sent it back If I had of paid full price.

Regards,
Would be awesome if you'd leave further feedback after a few more missions, been thinking of one but if it's shi*e then I'd happily save my coin ;)
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

omega man wrote:
fileyprepper wrote:well it has arrived and I am a little underwhelmed. although the price was good (£30 with delivery) I did do a few test in my local area. I marked the first position as home (stood on the drive outside with clear satellite signal) ands then went for a drive (1-2 miles) I then tried to navigate my way back. crikey what a carry on ! I followed the arrow and it completely missed my home point and took me to the beach. I don't live on the beach !. I have calibrated the device by moving it in a figure of eight as per instructions. I need to do more tests but slightly worried it didn't work first time. can it be relied on ???? time will tell.

Regards,
Would be awesome if you'd leave further feedback after a few more missions, been thinking of one but if it's shi*e then I'd happily save my coin ;)

Sure will. I will add further comments in here over the next couple of weeks when I have given it a good thrashing !
Fileyprepper
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

Hi omega man. So after a couple of weeks or so of testing I have a bit more info for you. After removing the batteries then putting the same ones back in it seemed to perform better. I have had others go out and find an object (coloured rock) that I had hidden in relatively plain sight about a couple of hundred metres from home. It was found every time we then reveresed the test and they hid it for me to find. It worked. On amazon they are around £100. This is not worth it at all, it's more of a novelty object to be honest to at the it rings price it was actually a good buy. Hope it helps.
Fileyprepper
omega man

Post by omega man »

fileyprepper wrote:Hi omega man. So after a couple of weeks or so of testing I have a bit more info for you. After removing the batteries then putting the same ones back in it seemed to perform better. I have had others go out and find an object (coloured rock) that I had hidden in relatively plain sight about a couple of hundred metres from home. It was found every time we then reveresed the test and they hid it for me to find. It worked. On amazon they are around £100. This is not worth it at all, it's more of a novelty object to be honest to at the it rings price it was actually a good buy. Hope it helps.
Hi again fileyprepper,
Thanks so much for revisiting this thread, So it seems it's fairly accurate you'd say over a couple of hundred meters.. but I wonder if you've tested it over a few miles, how would it fair..say in a hike or bike ride? Obviously I need to buy one and test it out myself but your post has encouraged me ( at least at short range) effectively GPS has to do the same thing over 100's of meters as over 100's of mile :?

Thanks again,
OM